Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Default Getting By in Time of Horror

It was a morning. Maybe that's what lets us survive, emotionally, as individuals, as a nation, and as members of the human race.

The sun does come up.

I wanted to share what my friend Cate told her two young sons (4 & 6) about the tragedy. She is a very bright woman and was in total angst yesterday due to her own fears. I am in awe of what she came up with to explain it.

It was along the lines of, "There is a very bad man who has some very bad friends. He needed to show people just how bad he and his friends are. We don't like bad people."

How simple, how elegant.

She went on to say that grown-ups will be watching a lot of television and talking about the bad people. She told them that they were safe from the bad people (very important for young children) and that they should know that bad people do bad things BUT they will be punished for doing bad things.

How about that for a woman who was practically in apoplexy from her own fears?
Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Kim
Default Re: Getting By in Time of Horror

It is indeed a simple and understandable explanation for children. Our younger children need to know, we do need to address it with them to help alleviate their fears. I have been amazed at the reaction of my 17 year old and her high school peers. The students are all dressed in red, white and blue today - yesterday they were huddled together in prayer.
Our son Chris (the one we can't get on the ship Pam) works for Goldman Sachs and we thought he was in the WTC. It was a horrendous few hours until we found he had been at his 85 Broad St office two blocks away. His descriptions of the carnage are horrible; he watched the second plane go by his office window fearing it was coming into his building and watched it hit the south tower.
In some way, we are all touched by this tragedy. My heart goes out to those who lost loved ones.
Kim