Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 12th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Default US-Canadian Border Closed?

Is the U.S.-Canadian border (still?) closed? Port of Seattle? Are the ferries running to/from Victoria?
Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Passenger

Default Re: US-Canadian Border Closed?

Divetex. Yes the border crossings are open. The Coho between Victoria and Port Angeles WA is running normally, although local radio reports indicate heightened security measures are in force.

Both Victoria and Vancouver airports are still closed. The only aircraft in the air are military.

Jake
Old September 12th, 2001, 03:23 PM
nvan

The Carnival Spirit arrived in the port of Vancouver at 7:00 AM today. If it will depart to Alaska today....not sure.
Old September 12th, 2001, 04:00 PM
Spunky

Hi Divetex,

I talked to my fiancee Bob in Lewiston,NY. He said yesterday all border crossings were closed.. Today it was limited to Whirlpool bridge.. Major truck back-ups as they are checking everything... He had one heck of a time gettting home last nite from DuPont in Niagara Falls... Road blocks at Niagara Power Project, Air Force Base.. Lewiston, NY - Queenston bridge was shut down..
We'll not be able to attend my niece's wedding next week..I'll also be spending my 48th birthday alone... It is too soon to predict when it is safe to fly. I feel so alone..... the only shoulder I have to lean on is my tiny dogs.....
Also Midway finally went belly up.... This put them under... I liked Midway and so did Bob... Since I live near Raleigh Durham airport, I can tell you nothing is going out today... They won't even let people retrieve their cars from the parking lots...
They are working on heightend security...

Nora Jean
Old September 12th, 2001, 07:14 PM
Lady Jag

It was closed, then opened, then closed again last night. As of this morning, the borders are open. The ports in the LA area are all open, but are subject to very close scrutiny. Hope things settle down in the next two weeks!
Old September 12th, 2001, 10:55 PM
Dave B.

Re the Spirit 80% of the passangers are from the States. They are staying on board till tomorrow. Hopefully Airport will reopen then. Some flights diverted to Vancouver should get off tonight. Or 1st. thing in the morning. They are warning passangers to expect lengthy delays going through Customs. My brother just phoned and said that HAL has cancelled the Westerdam departure to Alaska tomorrow. I'm not sure weather it just means it's been delayed or if the whole voyage has been cancelled she was due to leave tomorow night.The news is saying that the line up at the boarder heading south is up to 6 hour wait. But is still open. One passanger off the spirit lives in Portland, Org. They are renting a car and diving home. Will post more as it becomes available.