Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2001, 04:53 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Chichen Itza plane crash

I am feeling somewhat overwhelmed and guilty this morning. In addition to all the horrible news this week, a tourist plane for a popular shore excursion from Cozumel to Chichen Itza crashed today, right after take off from the site, and killed 19 people, including 17 passengers from the Maasdam.

I took this excursion from the Celebrity Mercury a few years ago, and I feel guilty because I enjoyed immensely and as a result I have recommended it to many people since then. Had I realized how dangerous it could be I wouldn't have recommended it.

Strangely enough, Anne Campbell was on the same cruise and I tried to get her to go and she begged off because she doesn't like small planes. Once again her instinct has worked incredibly well for her.
Sponsored Links
Old September 13th, 2001, 06:17 PM
mailman055

Default Re: Chichen Itza plane crash

uhhhhh....what made it so dangerous??? Just because of a very unfortunate accident? I have not read the story so maybe you should provide some details on why this was more dangerous than other excursions. Not to make light of the situation but almost any cruise excursion can be considered dangerous. I don't think over-reacting and wracking yourself with guilt is serves any purpose.
I am certainly glad Anne is ok.

The Mailman
Old September 13th, 2001, 09:32 PM
Admiral

I actually have refused to go on this excursion because it involves a small plane.

Wasn't there another plane accident involving cruise passengers this summer? I thought there was. Maybe it was in Vegas/Hoover Dam.

Theresa
Old September 13th, 2001, 11:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I think the fact that it involves a small plane speaks for itself. Obviously, it was dangerous.
Old September 14th, 2001, 01:26 AM
mailman055

I see....all small planes are dangerous. Thanks for clearing that up. Perhaps we should stop all private aviation in the world (including the ones in the Grand Canyon) despite the thousands of successful private flights daily. I seem to recall there was a boat excursion in Cabo this summer that was swamped...should we stop all private boats because they are too small as well? If you don't choose to go on an excursion that is your choice....but to scare-monger after an accident in the climate of the last few days is irresponsible at best and pathetic at worst.

The Mailman
Old September 14th, 2001, 06:49 AM
Admiral

I have personally known 5 people who have died in small planes. I do not personally know anyone who has died in a big plane (though I know it happens - example this week).

For this reason, I probably will wait to visit this excursion until I have time to drive there.

Thanks Paul for the info.

Theresa
Old September 14th, 2001, 11:04 AM
JimG

... and while you're at it never take one of those helicopter tours to an alaskan glacier, there is a history of a few crashes there too.