Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 15th, 2001, 11:22 PM
Admiral

Default Morning Has Broken ....

Even though it's not morning yet, the words to this song have been running through my mind all day.

I think I remember them all. I hope that we can all take some heart from them.

Morning has broken, like the first morning
Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird
Praise for the singing, Praise for the morning
Praise for them springing, fresh from the word

Sweet the rain's new fall, Sunlit from Heaven
Like the first dew-fall on the first grass
Praise for the sweetness of the wet garden
Sprung in completeness where his His feet passed

Mine is the sunlight, mine is the morning
Born of the first light Eden saw play
Praise with elation, Praise every morning
God's recreation of the new day

There IS a tomorrow.

Trust in it.

pamda
Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2001, 11:33 PM
mcathy

Default Re: Morning Has Broken ....

Thanks for the wonderful reminder.
Bless you
Cathy
Old September 16th, 2001, 08:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

i started singing when i saw the title...thanks Trip/Friday Chat Host
Old September 16th, 2001, 09:19 PM
Admiral

Now that I have been singing that ALL day....here's one for you, girlfriend (turnabout is fair play, they say)! "It's a small world afterall....it's a small world afterall....it's a small world afterall. It's a small, small world".....sleep well pamda!
:-) Mgram
Old September 16th, 2001, 10:38 PM
RIX!

I used to like that song until I found out Cat Stevens wrote it and that he had some links to some Muslum Extremist groups dating back to KOHMENI era in the 70's. Was on Sixty Min. 7 mos ago.
Old September 16th, 2001, 11:50 PM
Admiral

Default It wasn't Cat ...

Rix ...

Cat Stevens didn't write the song and, so far as I know, has never taken credit for it.

According to my hymnal, it was written in 1931 by Eleanor Farjeon and set to a Gaelic tune.

About 26 or 27 years ago, my friend Chris and I were sitting on the beach in San Juan, both grossly pregnant, taking a rest after doctors' visits and too much lunch, when we flashed to the fact that the skinny guy next to us was Cat Stevens. Or maybe he was already Yusuf Islam at that point.

Neither of us being shy, we talked to him. We talked about music and he told of finding "Morning Has Broken" and said he never thought it would be a successful song, it was just a filler for an album.

Just out of curiosity, I did a Google search and came up with this:

September 12th, 2001

MESSAGE FROM YUSUF.

I wish to express my heartfelt horror at the indiscriminate terrorist attacks committed against innocent people of the United States yesterday.

While it is still not clear who carried out the attacks, it must be stated that no right thinking follower of Islam could possibly condone such an action: the Qur'an equates the murder of one innocent person with the murder of the whole of humanity.

We pray for the families of all those who lost their lives in this unthinkable act of violence as well as all those injured; I hope to reflect the feelings of all Muslims and people around the world whose sympathies go out to the victims at this sorrowful moment.

Yusuf Islam

I don't know if it's a true statement or not, I just came across it and thought to inlcude it.

So, I hope you can like the song again. It really does speak of hope. Until yesterday, when the song came into my mind as I was waking up, I was thinking that mornings were relentless and wondered what another day could bring.

pamda
Old September 17th, 2001, 04:08 AM
RIX!

Default Re: It wasn't Cat ...

My Friend Pamda,

Thank you for your input Pamda. After thinking about this for an hour or so, I somewhat agree with you; I guess I was a little reactionary. However, after watching Cat's interview on sixty minutes last year, where he supported actions up to and including murder for for the writer "Ruski", I objected.

He may have had more information and he may have been protecting his homeland, as we are ours. In light of last weeks horrendous events, I can entertain reasonsing why he would support a "hit" of the writer Ruski for writing "Satanic Versus". If one reads the horrendous book, it was about "fundamentalist" (in this case extremist) muslin concepts. Of course the book was horrible and awakening. And of course "Ruski" has never writen another book.

I am weary, however, about one such as Cat Stephens, that publically supports a "hit" by Kohmani, of a writer because he wrote a book exposing fundamentalist muslim concepts. Especially in light of his "beautiful" music.

In adidition, I was listening to a talk show about a month ago where a man called to explain the fundamentalist concept. He continued to explain that "we" are corrupt as a werstern world and that we would have to answer to our maker. He also assertained that we were all evil in the US and that it was his duty to rid us. Of course, I am a firm believer in freedom of speach, but I reported it to the FBI.

Also, I would like to point out that most muslims, especially those in the United States, are not involved in this horrendous incident. We should not treat our neighbors and friends that are muslim with suspicion. We should only report suspicious behavior.

The first five pilars of Islam are very respectable; they are very similar to the first five books of the Old Testament. I am also very gracious of Mohammad, the First Prophet, for bringing these concepts to many people. I am grateful and gracious for the Koran and for the Bible, because I honestly belive that they help people. But in the extremist case, they hurt people. I just hope that we get the terrorists for their participation and we spare our friends.

Peace,

Heather and Rix
Old September 17th, 2001, 04:25 AM
RIX!

Default Re: It wasn't Cat ...

WoW my wife wrote that under my name But that sounds right. Heather calls me the Western Juhad