Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 16th, 2001, 08:48 AM
Angela H.

Default slowly returning to normal

Just wanted to share 2 stories. Our area had made the decision to play high school football on Friday night. I have never seen such an unforgettable sight. At 7pm, without urging from the PA announcer people throughout the stadium rose and lit candles. The cheerleaders stopped cheering and stood with candles. The bands stood at attention with their hands over their hearts. Many tears were shed. Prior to the game our superindendent led the 3,000 or so attendees in a moving tribute and prayer. This was remarkable coming from a man who a few years ago stood staunchly in support of banning prayer at sporting events. After the pre-game ceremonies were over we were able to cheer our team on to victory. It felt good to shout, cheer, yell and woo-hoo again without feeling guilty. If felt odd when we all pointed out overhead airplanes to our kids, as if they were pre-schoolers even though many were teenagers. I had my doubts about going and I am now so thankful that I did.

The second event of the weekend took place Saturday morning. My son's soccer game started as routine on a gorgeous, perfect early fall morning. About halfway through the game a pair of military helicopters flew overhead. While this is not an everyday sight in our SouthCentral Pennsylvania town we do see our fair share of military air traffic. What made this unique was that we all stopped our fanatical 'soccer-momming' and fell silent as we cranned our necks to follow the path through the sky. However our kids, playing in a highly competetive under-10 division 1game just kept playing. I thought that was a fitting tribute and a reminder that life goes on for those of us lucky enough to go out and live it.

I hope that you all have the courage to continue to love life. As we talk about our upcoming vacations and reconsider the appropriateness of celebrating at such a tragic time I contend that this should be a time of Thanksgiving. Be thankful for everything and everyone in your life. Cherish every day - every moment. Be proud that we have a strong leader and brave young men and women willing to back up his words. Pray for a swift end to the evil that has visited our country. But above all remember to love life in America. Celebrate and appreciate the country that we have built. Fly the flag, donate or volunteer but most of all, don't forget to cheer for your children and fellow Americans who have the courage to go on celebrating life.
Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: slowly returning to normal

Angela,
Very good, and touching thoughts. Everybody feels like they want to do something to help. Donating blood and money are certainly IMPORTANT steps which everyone can take.
I think the other important thing everyone can do is to start going about their "normal" business. The economic impact of these barbaric acts must be held to a minimum, and that's something everyone can have a major part in!
Tomorrow when the NYSE opens it's going to need massive support of the world, to purchase stocks, not sell. The retailers in your neighborhoods are going to need the same level of support. In short, rather than "bunkering down", it's time to spend whatever extra anyone can afford to spend. That will certainly help the effort!

Regards,
Kuki
Old September 16th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Angela,
Thanks so much for sharing those 2 stories, been hearing simular ones as well. I think this Thanksgiving will have a new meaning for all of us here.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old September 16th, 2001, 06:11 PM
Admiral

I feel that it is very important we return to normalcy, as I have said, if not those that did this have won. We must also hope that what lies ahead is thought out very carefully, so that we don't become like they are.
Old September 16th, 2001, 08:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

normal now is tinged with sadness Trip/Friday Chat Host