CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Insulin syringes (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/257657-insulin-syringes.html)

bulldog September 24th, 2001 12:42 PM

Insulin syringes

I read a message on cruise@ddicts message board about the airlines not allowing insulin syringes onboard the plane. I figured that SURELY this could NOT be right! I contacted Delta & they confirmed that you are allowed ONE insulin dosage on the plane. Those of us who are diabetic will understand how dumb this idea is. One dosage will not be enough for those of us with early morning flights & considering that our luggage will probably not be delivered to your stateroom until very late afternoon. Plus, I would NEVER take the chance of packing my diabetic supplies in a packed bag that could possibly be lost. Talk about ruining your trip!! Anyway, the airlines say you must have a letter from your doctor, on his/her letterhead stating you need more than one dosage. I just thought others would like to know this info.

Mary Lou September 24th, 2001 12:46 PM

Re: Insulin syringes

Bulldog:
Thank you for the information. This is very good to know. I wouldn't have thought insulin syringes would be considered a "weapon".
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host

Mermaid September 24th, 2001 01:04 PM

Thanks Bulldog for the post. You might very well help someone with this information. There will probably be more things that come up with the new restrictions, seemingly harmless to us, and taken for granted before, but things have changed now.

DisneyBlonde September 24th, 2001 02:35 PM

Thank you for this. We have a little girl traveling with us who receives several insulin shots a day. I will pass this info on to her parents.

I wonder if the airlines would now need to accomodate special needs passengers by ensuring they are on non-stop flights, to limit the time they'd be without medication.

Thanks again!

Diz

pamda September 24th, 2001 05:12 PM

I wonder if properly-sealed syringes wouldn't be OK?

pamda

sailinglisa September 24th, 2001 05:25 PM

Or, would turning them over to the flight crew for the duration of the flight and having them bring your supplies to you if you need them would also be an option?

pamda September 24th, 2001 05:51 PM

As many of you know, I am extremely cognizant of special needs passengers.

The idea that insulin-dependent passengers will be unable to carry on their supply is completely egregious. What happens if the suitcase gets lost as Bulldog points out?

Going the distance to get a note from one's doctor doesn't seem like a real hardship, considering the alternatives.

People who are life-dependent upon meds should NEVER (this is my somewhat informed opinion) be without a two-day supply upon their persons at all times. AND their travelling companions should have another two-day supply.

I really can't imagine organizing a bunch of homicidal diabetics on a single flight to attack a cockpit crew with insulin syringes any more than I can imagine a bunch of folks organized to commit mayhem with fingernail clippers or embroidery scissors.

This seems to be over-reaction to the max.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor

Anna B September 25th, 2001 09:33 PM

My son is 34 and has been diabetic since he was 7 years old. He takes 3 shots a day. There is no way that he would fly without all of his medication with him. How can a insulin needle as fine as a hair be a threat to anyone? Also, if a person has needles & insulin they wouldn't be carrying them unless they needed it.

bulldog September 26th, 2001 04:55 PM

I agree that getting a note from your doctor to carry your insulin supplies it not that big a deal. I certainly intend to do so. I am just glad I found about this before. Learning about this at the airport would have been terrible. I am sure there will be many diabetics who never hear about this new rule until they try to go through security.