Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 29th, 2001, 02:40 AM
First Mate

Default Critics of my hobby - cruising

I need to "vent"! I am SICK of people I know who continually make remarks about how often we cruise. I am sure many of them are just jelous.(We are always hearing, "You're going on ANOTHER cruise???" They have NO idea how many people are out there who have cruised WAY more than us (12 times; 6 in the past 6 yrs., but the rest spread out for 23 years before that - mostly 3 dayers back then. We met a couple on the Norway once who had cruised l22 times!) Do I sound defensive? I FEEL defensive! We may stretch our budget to cruise (like put off new carpeting for a year or something), but always pay all of our bills on time, so what business is it of their's? We live comfortably in a nice area, & so forth. I enjoy reading anything having to do w/cruising. And especially great sights like this where I feel I have a bunch of "soulmates" who can understand. Even my own kids (two have only been on one cruise, but the youngest has been on 3; 4 after next spring) will occassionally make remarks - esp. if I say we can't afford something. We all have our priorities. I like all sorts of travel & will never feel like I travel enough. My kids & my friends all call me to help them track down cheap airfares; to give advice on honeymoon places for their kids, etc. Thank goodness our neighbors travel a lot & we have been cruising once a yr. with them for the past few years. They say they hear the same stuff from people they know. I know these jelous folks (people who can afford to cruise & say they want to cruise, but keep putting it off yr. after yr.) won't be likely to be reading something on a CRUISE SIGHT, but it helps just to get it off my chest. Any of you experience the same thing?
Sponsored Links
Old September 29th, 2001, 09:08 AM
Mary Lou

Default Re: Critics of my hobby - cruising

Cruiselover:
I kow exactly how you feel. I do think a lot of it has to do with jealousy. And a lot of it is from people who have never cruised so they have no idea what they are missing.
You know you are always welcome here at CruiseMates where we can share your enthusiasm for cruising. That is one of the reasons I love it here so much. I can say the word "cruise" without a lot of dirty looks and nasty comments.
I say "life is too short" do what you enjoy in life.
Happy sailing,
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host
Old September 29th, 2001, 09:57 AM
Familiar Face

You're right-- they have no idea what things cost or how they might manage to afford it themselves. My sister is a champ at rolling her eyes and saying "Again!?!" when I tell her we're going on another cruise. "I don't know how you do it! I can barely keep my head above water!" is her usual response. So far, I've held back from bringing up just how much she and her husband spend annually on cigarettes (probably about $3K!), but next time, I swear I'm saying something.
Old September 29th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am a very vocal supporter of cruising. My screensaver at work is the cruiseships saver from screensaverjapan.com, the liscense plates on my old caddy say
"CRUZSHIP" I make no excuses for my hobby,but I dont push it on others unless they ask .
Old September 29th, 2001, 10:29 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Jan

We feel the same way and I agree it is jealousy. Don't let them get to you. We all know how it is. This year we are going on two more cruises and had a great one in March (11 days.) This is the main reason I work. There are worse things to do with your money than have a guaranteed good time. We will keep going as long as we can. The way I look at it is that someday when I can't do it anymore I will have great memories and no regret. Let's face it, there are a lot of dull people in this world who enjoy sitting on the fat butts watching the talk shows, puffing away, and criticising people who enjoy a little adventure. Have fun and smooth sailings.
Old September 29th, 2001, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Cruiselover -

I totally agree with you!

I make an average income and have average expenses. But instead of going out to the bars frequently like a lot of my friends do, I stay home. I don't drink or smoke - so don't have those expenses. My car is 4 years old, I go to matinee movies, I still don't have a DVD player, etc. . .

I choose a travel agent who always gives me a great deal, I often book inside cabins, I watch airfare daily to make sure I get great rates for air, etc. . .We often cruise for under $1000 a person including all of our air, cruise and expenditures on the cruise. I make monthly payments for about 4 months before our final payment is due so the cruise is paid for before we sail.

For me - cruising is cheaper than land vacations. I plan my cruises very well to try to get the biggest bang for the buck.

My friends also tease me but little do they realize they spent 2-3 times more than I did on their trip to Disney World or NY than I spend on one cruise. Maybe some day they will catch on.
Old September 29th, 2001, 11:07 AM
Luscious Lips Louise

Well, if you know people who make remarks about 6 cruises in 6 years, don't introduce them to me! I go on as many as 5 or more cruises a year, work hard at a part-time job just for cruise $$$$$.

It is plain and simple, jealousy. People I know make similar remarks, I just choose to ignore them. They make remarks like 'how can you have any vacation time left', etc.

Cruise as much as you like, at least you are enjoying life!
Old September 29th, 2001, 11:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

When we retired, we traded the house, the pool, the lawncare, the maintenance, and the high utilities for a much smaller townhome the home owners association maintains. That 20% of our former living expenses now goes to travelling. But even friends we've known for 20 years get entirely the wrong impression. To them, you've got to be wealthy to travel like that.

I write books about technology for school children. Regardless of what I say, people think "Author" ...he must get megabuck advances and fat royalty checks. Nothing could be farther from the truth. But their envy and very different priorities don't allow them to see the truth. So to the envious and the critics...

Hey...whatever floats your boat!

Make mine the QE2, the Summit, the Columbia Queen, or similar ship.
Old September 29th, 2001, 12:22 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Jennifer

I also have had a lot of remarks made to me about my extensive travel habit by the people in the production area of our window manufacturing company who think that all of us in the office and administration make the "big bucks" . But they don't realize that there are 2 fundamental things which make me different than they are:
1. I don't spend a large share of my paycheck every weekend on going out to the bars or on other forms of entertainment. Jose and I work different hours and different days, so I go to work and I come home. Our vacations are when we get to spend time together.
2. I travel on a BUDGET! Even in the more lean years, when it was just my daughter and me, we traveled a lot, all over the U.S. and in Mexico. But I used to read the travel section of the Sunday paper like a hawk (pre-internet days!) and I had a VERY close relationship with the same travel agency for 15+ years.

I decided a long time ago to ignore their envy and contempt and to continue to live my life in the style that was right for ME. Thank goodness I did, because it was on my very first cruise (also planned on a budget) that I met the wonderful man who is now my husband!

jennifer
Old September 29th, 2001, 12:55 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to JeffStern

We're fortunate to live in Miami, so we can take advantage of great "last minute" and "resident only" deals. It costs us less to cruise, than any other vacation. In fact, a long week-end at Disney costs us more than a 7-night cruise!
As a result, we have been on 40+ cruises since our first one, in 1987.
Of course, sometimes our choices are limited, but we've been able to try over a dozen cruise lines.
Last Friday, we booked the Grand, for tomorrow........
When people "tease" me about cruising, I just tell them, "Well, I go on a lot of cruises because I can't afford your type of vacation...", smile, and walk away....
Old September 29th, 2001, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Wow ...

Such resonance here on two fronts.

I don't know how often I get, "And where are you going NEXT?" with a faintly weird look. I haven't quite figured out what it means. I don't think it's simple curiosity. I don't think all those people have naturally green eyes.

I've become adept at answering, with a sweet smile, "Oh, we're taking the Farlo Mutani to the Zeroeth Sea," and excusing myself. That's for the people with green eyes. Nasty me, I love to picture them running home to their atlases.

Then there's the "author" part. When people see a woman and hear "author" they think Danielle Steele and megabucks. I suppose when people hear "author" connected to Jim, they think Tom Clancy and megabucks.

To paraphrase, "It ain't so, Joe."

I like Jeff's answer a lot.

I suppose I could work on, "It's a nasty job, but somebody's got to do it."

pamda -- author and CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old September 29th, 2001, 01:32 PM
Cruisinpat

I get the same comments from my family and friends. My screensaver at work is the same one as Cruzship. I'm always getting comments when people walk into my office. I also work a part time job to support my cruising hobby. My husband and I love to cruise -- we have one booked for December and February and are working on one for June. I know that I will get tons of comments from my friends but my husband and I agree that life it just too darn short -- Live it now because you never know what's going to happen! We also look for the bargains and I know that our cruises cost much less then some of my friends' land vacations. I love being able to visit cruisemates and other boards to share my enthusiasm of cruising with others who feel the same way.
Old September 29th, 2001, 02:07 PM
Laura G.

Dear cruise Addicts,

Hi, My Name is Laura and I am a cruise addict. I do not want to be cured though.
Do not worry about how you spend your money-it is your own business. God has blessed you with the ability to do the things in life you love, for some, unproductive things (smoking, drinking, drugs ect), for others, expensive hobbies (building or racing cars, antique buying, restoring old houses). I am proud that I have a wholesome, relaxing hobby. Sure, we spend money for two cruises a year, but, people sometimes do not realize that for what we pay (1500.00 a person for a balcony room week S. Carribean cruise) includes just about everything. (airfair, boarding, food, entertainment!). You just can not beat the deals!
Old September 29th, 2001, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Who cares what other people say?? We think a cruise vacation is the best value for your money - thats what we love to do - and that is all that matters!
Old September 29th, 2001, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Hi, Laura ...

And thanks for sharing your addiction.

We at CruiseMates have developed a 12-step program ... never be more than 12 steps away from a gangplank ... at least in your mind.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old September 29th, 2001, 05:28 PM
cruzdiva

Princess cruises always awards the couple (or person) who has the most days at sea with the line. On our Royal Princess cruise it was a couple who had spent nearly 2000 days aboard Princess! Evidently they are getting close to cracking the record for all cruises at the Guiness Book or Records. My 14 cruises with the line look pretty pathetic, but I'm sure I've enjoyed mine as much as they've enjoyed theirs. My sister belongs to a flexible timeshare. In otherwords, she has points and can trade them in at many sites. Her last experience on a ship was sailing the old Queen Mary on her last transatlantic voyage. I've been nagging her for years to come along with me on one of mine, but I always hear why she can't do it. Well, in Spring next year she, her best friend and the best friend's 11 year old son are going to try a 3-day cruise. I just sent her the photos of the Summit (found at www.skyscrapertours.com) to show her how ships have changed through the years. She hadn't even heard of the new Queen Mary. I told her to hold on to her hat, that 3 days are just going to leave her wanting more.

Carole
Old September 30th, 2001, 03:56 AM
First Mate

Thank you ALL for your great posts & support!!! Boy, can I identify with so much of what many of you wrote! I, too, work 3 days a week & much of that money goes towards our cruises. (I also worked a 2nd job at a dept. store last Xmas to be able to afford a ski trip - driving - to Colo. last winter, & I have a garage sale every autumn that nets me another portion of my cruise cost!) Sometimes we fly (If I find a really cheap deal) & sometimes we drive to our port. And, like one of you, I don't own a DVD player, either! Not even a c.d. player, except in the car, where I get in the mood for cruising by listening to Soca, Reggae, Jimmy Buffet, Salsa,Puerto Rican, Cuban & steel drum music, etc. etc.! (Listened to the Gypsy Kings to prepare for our mediterranean cruise ). Also, like many of you, we don't smoke or go to bars - do go to movies, rush hr. prices, though, & drive cars a few years old. And I agree with everything all of you said about the great value & savings of cruising. We, too, cruise on a budget (inside cabins, except for once we had a porthole) & I work hard to find the best price that I can. There are still ships we hope to go on & places we haven't yet cruised to that I just have to draw the line on since our budget can't afford it or perhaps the extra airfare to a distant port or something. But I have hope of those for the future!

My husband also loves cruising, but doesn't focus on looking forward to it waayyy in advance as I do. Sometimes I also think the criticism from others affects him to the point that if we did have more time & money to cruise, he would feel too embarrassed to go on several cruises a year. (Not me!) I also don't see how my reading this sight or other travel sights are any worse than members of my family or others who plop in front of the t.v. for a couple of hours a night or take long naps! Or my teens talking on the phone so much. Would they say anything if I were reading a book? But I get the comments about being addicted to my computer because I check my emails at least most days of the week & often spend 30 min. to an hr. or 2 of any free time I have on travel sights several times a week.

So, in gratitude, I salute all of you who love to cruise & am grateful you were so kind to validate my feelings on this subject! Many more happy cruises to you all!
Old September 30th, 2001, 10:32 AM
Admiral

All I can add is, "I am most definitely at home here."

Some will never understand. Last night I could not even watch a cruise commercial on TV, as I so desperately want to cruise NOW. It's like being on a strict diet, and there's a Whataburger and french fries dancing across the screen!
Old September 30th, 2001, 05:56 PM
SuzieQ

"At home"...my sentiments exactly Mermaid...

I don't know what I'd do without my fellow addicts aka CruiseMates.

Nobody in my family has ever cruised expect for my mother and myself.

We get excited about putting down our deposit and we get, "I can't believe you two spend that kind of money on a vacation". Next year is Alaska so now we hear, "ugh, I'd never fly all the way to Anchorage...that's going to be terrible".

When we get home and want to share our enthusiasm we get an obligatory, "how was the cruise"...but when we try to respond, someone will interrupt or change the subject. Once, a relative even told me that they wish my mother would just shut up about the darn trip already.

Granted, we can be overzealous...and that's hard to take if you don't also share the love for cruising that we have. I don't think there's any cruise middle ground...you either love it and want to talk, see, learn or be on one 24/7...or you just don't care.
Old October 1st, 2001, 10:21 PM
First Mate

Boy, can I identify w/that! I am very careful about saying anything about our cruises to many people because I, too, have gotten the obligatory, "How was your cruise?". Yet isn't it WONDERFUL when you can share with people who never tire of hearing about cruising (like me!)? I am always amazed when someone says they're going on or have been on a cruise & when I ask which one, they don't know! How sad. Our next one isn't until spring. There will be lots of time until then that I feel like escaping, so what will I think about? You got it! Until then, this sight will keep me going. Thank goodness there are others who feel the same.