Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2001, 11:45 PM
Anita from Texas

Default Scared to Cruise now - PLEASE HELP!

I scheduled my 1st cruise on the Golden for new years for my husband and myself. Now I am feeling really uneasy about this cruise. After the bombings that took place today in Afghanistan I am really afraid of what is going to happen from here. I have until next Monday to pay for the rest of my trip and am considering letting my $500.00 deposit go. please help me to decide. Is anyonelse feeling uneasy.???? Do you all feel that sailing is safe right now? Also if I do keep the cruise will there be alot of people on the ship or will it be empty? I think that would be kind of weird - to be on a near empty ship. It would be like eating at a restaurant that is empty - you wonder what everyone else knows that you don't. I would appreciate any help you all could give me to decide what to do.

Thanks,
Anita Beck
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2001, 12:00 AM
Audrey Belcher

Default Re: Scared to Cruise now - PLEASE HELP!

For what I am reading everyone is still going on their cruise the ships are full. I just booked a cruise to Mexico for Jan and am very excited about going.
Old October 8th, 2001, 01:39 AM
Ginny

Cruises are sailing as scheduled. There is a great deal of security. Hope you will enjoy your New Year's cruise on the Golden Princess.

Happy Cruising!
Ginny
Old October 8th, 2001, 06:40 AM
Mary Lou

Anita:
I, too, am sailing on the Golden for New Years. I have no plans to cancel my cruise. I have had this cruise booked since February and I am very much looking forward to it.
I can't tell you whether or not you should cruise. That has to be your decision about what you are comfortable with. From what I hear, the security has been stepped up considerably on the ships and airlines. And to answer your question about how full the ship will be...this cruise is sold out. I am assuming most folks will go ahead with their cruise and it will be full. Please keep us posted and let us know what you decide. I look forward to meeting you on board.
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host
Old October 8th, 2001, 06:44 AM
Admiral

Anita: If I was lucky enough to have a cruise booked, especially a new year's cruise, I can tell you that I would still be going. I would make sure that I allowed plenty of time for flying, and most certainly would try to fly in the day before. I truly feel that one of the small things I can do as a US citizen is do my part to keep the economy going. Sure, I might have uneasy feelings, and of course, my vacation mood would be more somber. But these feelings exist no matter where you are. Go and show the world a proud American! You must be very excited about your first cruise and have been looking forward to it for months, I'm sure. Only you can make this decision however, as it is a personal one. Whatever you decide, it will be the right answer for you.
Old October 8th, 2001, 07:37 AM
Admiral

Just GO! Everyone needs a vacation and a break from life.

Beleive me - the Golden over New Years will be filled and will be FUN!

I am going on the Grand over Thanksgiving.
Old October 8th, 2001, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hi Anita, I am another golden cruiser for new yrs eve....I hope you reconsider and join us for a great cruise..i cannot say I am not without a twinge or two,but I am going,and won't give into my fears...Trip/Friday Chat Host
Old October 8th, 2001, 12:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Anita,
I can tell u I just returned from 14 days at sea on two different ships, and felt peculiarily safe both on the ships and flying.

I do believe this "war" will likely be a long drawn out, sustained event, and though everyone will have doubts, I do think it's wise to continue on with life as much as possible.
The initial 9-11 attacks took place by mad men who have said simply their goal is to destroy the American way of life. They hate the freedom of men, women and children in the west to choose.
We're certainly going to hope everyone booked for the CruiseMates New Years Bash decides to still come. We'll be celebrating life and freedom... and remembering those who gave their lives for it.

Regards,
Kuki
Old October 8th, 2001, 08:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well I just booked my cruise last week on the Norwegian Sun for 11-24. I feel very safe traveling, especially by cruise ship. I know I will have to wait in longer lines at the airport and that checkin should be longer but I'm ready for it to feel safer.

As a travel agent I do know that many people are fearful of traveling during this time but I also know that many people ARE traveling, esp for the holidays. Your cruise will not be empty. Life must go on and as was said before this war may go on for awhile. We must not let it stop us from enjoying our freedom - the one thing they want to stop. Freedom.

Security measures on a ship are safe, you must have proof of citizenship and everyone is given an ID. If you do not have this ID then you are not able to board. I also understand that bags, shopping etc, are routinly checked now at the ports.

Travel in general is safe, and cruising is a sonderful way to see the world. I think you will have a good time! I do recommend flying in the day before though if possible. But then that is just the way I like to travel. Have a great time! - Angela
Old October 8th, 2001, 08:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are going to the Mediterranean at the end of the month. (at least that is the plan for now). The world is a big place. I think what we are going to do is probably a lot more risky than what you are-but who knows? If it really bothers you, then cancell, otherwise why don't you wait it out a bit and see how it goes and how you feel. Ask your TA what would happen if you did.
good luck, brenda
Old October 9th, 2001, 05:15 PM
Lady Jag

Anita - We just returned from the most wonderful cruise we've had to date. We went through the same misgivings you are going through. We almost cancelled many, many times.

I can only say that for one week, we were able to put the majority of what's happening out of our minds. It was good for us mentally and physically to get away from it all. Yes, we still watched the headlines on TV, but we weren't glued to it to find out every new detail.

We finally reasoned that IF it was our time to depart this earth, then what better way to do it? We'd all be together and we'd be doing something we love. We put the entire trip in the Big Guy's hands and it worked out perfectly.

So, GO, ENJOY, AND LIVE!!
Old October 10th, 2001, 12:24 AM
Passenger

Go and enjoy! If you stop living...they win! When God is ready for you, He will find you. We read in our newspapers about the tragedy of drunk drivers wiping out someone on their way to the store, but it doesn't keep us out of our cars.
We're off to Australia on Thanksgiving Day. I'm giving thanks that I am an American that has choices that no one can take away from me. It's our first cruise, I'm going to a place I always dreamed about, and I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.