Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 8th, 2001, 11:48 AM
Would-Be Cruiser

Default Holland America's No-Credit Policy

I just want cruisers to know that Holland America refused to give me a credit towards a future cruise when I cancelled a Mediterranean cruise due to begin 9/22, 10 days after the WTC attack. HAL chose an arbitrary cut-off day for credits/refunds as 9/18. Not only that, but the customer service rep I talked to on the phone was snippy and didn't offer to relay my comments or help me in any way. I will take cruises in the future, but not on HAL.
Sponsored Links
Old October 8th, 2001, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Holland America's No-Credit Policy

Did you take out travel insurance?
Old October 8th, 2001, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Hi, Would-Be ...

Call back and don't take "no" for an answer. Keep going up the chain of command.

Also, report the snippy customer service rep.

Good luck !!!

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old October 8th, 2001, 04:16 PM
Robocop

Would-be, Some date HAD to be chosen. What if the date had been 9/28 and your cruise had been scheduled for 9/29, or what about those people whose cruise started then? A cut-off date HAD to be made, it just so happened that your cruise was pas that date. Additionally there is nothing written or implied anywhere saying that they had to do even that! The terrorist attacks were horrible and shocked everyone with a brain, but no business can survive by just allowing people to change their minds at the last minute and hope to stay in business. Other lines did the same thing. It may sound harsh but that is what insurance is all about, insuring that you will not lose money because of something unexpected happening. I hope that you don't hold this against HAL or any other company or stop taking the best type of vacations on earth, cruising.
Jim
Old October 8th, 2001, 10:26 PM
Admiral

Hi, Jim ...

I'm going to disagree, a little bit. If Would-Be was willing to let any cruise line keep the money against another trip ?? I say, no harm, no foul.

W-B wasn't asking for a refund, just a credit for money already in the cruise line's hands, with, maybe a rebooking penalty.

And you're right. Cruising IS the best vacation.

pamda
Old October 10th, 2001, 01:28 PM
SuzieQ

I can't imagine a line not giving credit toward a future cruise.

Maybe it's a financial decision based on their speculation for the travel industry and their company. If we give him a credit we're out the $ now and we can't afford to lose more $ on top of fewer new bookings and cancellations outside penalty.

As far as the cut-off date...I would think the basis for that decision was "when will air traffic resume to the point that we have a reasonable expectation that the majority of our passengers can reach point of embarkation" as opposed to "when do we think our passengers emotional shock will wear off and they will feel like cruising again".