Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 17th, 2001, 11:55 AM
Linda T.

Default Britanis

Hi,
I was watching the game show network channel the other night, It's OLD gameshows, password, matchgame,Lets make a deal etc. And one of the prizes was a luxury cruise on Chandris's Britanis, I went on that ship years ago and loved it, It got me thinking of all the ships I've been on and of how many are gone now. It made me sad. Does anybody else have ships they remember fondly that are gone now? Mine are the Seaward and the Starward from NCL, The Emerald Seas, The Seabreeze when it was owned by Dolphin, the Regent Rainbow and The Britanis. It seems like cruising has changed alot since back then (70's and 80's). Linda
Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2001, 12:43 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Britanis

The Veracruz was one of my favorites!! It was one of two ships of the Bermuda Star Line. I heard that it sank, or caught on fire, or something like that way after it was out of service. The food was wonderful, service was second to none, and entertainment was good, too. And you are right, cruising has changed alot over the past 20 years or so.

The Veracrus was special because I met my husband on the ship, he was on staff, a musician, and played on the Bermuda Star and the Veracruz in the mid 80's. We corresponded several times every week, and saw each other about 6 or 8 times a year (I live in the midwest, the ship went out of Tampa), he came here to visit at dry docks, etc. That was 12 years ago, we now have a lovely family and are very very happy.

I love the smaller ships, though. We went on the Grand Princess for our 10th anniversary which was a wonderful, beautiful ship, we enjoyed it. BUT, I love the small ship atmosphere - the staff and crew are usually more friendly, you can run into other passengers more than once in a week's time and get to know them, etc. We are taking our kids for their first cruise on Carnival's Celebration in January, I can't wait for them to experience it. And they are curious to experience it, too, and want to "see" some of what we have told them about when we met, etc.

Thanks for asking!
Old October 17th, 2001, 12:51 PM
Linda T.

Joy,
I went on the Celebration 7 years ago and had a great time. Your kids are going to love it. Have a great cruise!!!!! Linda
Old October 17th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Oh my gosh...I went on the NCL Starward for my 15th birthday! First cruise and I loved it!
Old October 17th, 2001, 02:20 PM
Admiral

My sentimental favorite was/is Meridian. Even though I could never figure out how to get from here to there when aboard after six or eight sailings.

I did a "memorial" piece about her for Porthole a while back.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old October 17th, 2001, 03:11 PM
Passenger

The Seaward was stretched and redone and is now the NCL Sea. That was my first cruise!
Old October 17th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Palm Trees

The Britanis was our favorite, although not our first cruise, it was the best! Other old ladies that are now departed are the Home Lines' Atlantic, the Seabreeze, Dolphin IV and the Seawind Crown. And let me not forget my first "cruise" on the SS United States.
Old October 17th, 2001, 06:46 PM
susan cruzs

I have a fondness for the NCL Southward as that was my first cruise. It had some single cabins at the brochure price so as naiive as I was I thought all cruise lines had ships with single cabins for a low price. I know, I know but this was 20 years ago and I knew nothing of cruising and pricing! And 20 years later I'm still hunting for decent single fares, still writing letters, having a few published and once in awhile I get an answer!!! But Susan is still cruisin'
Old October 17th, 2001, 08:32 PM
Ceddie

My first ship was the Cunard Adventurer which is still sailing as the Triton.
My second ship was the Cunard Countess which I first joined in the builders yard in La Spezia (sp) Italy and is still sailing as the Olympia Countess.
both ships are in the line of Royal Olympic Cruises but for how long I don't know.
These were both small ships and very intimate 14.000 tons and 18.000 tons
aaah those were the days
Ceddie
Old October 17th, 2001, 09:13 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to JeffStern

The Britanis..... We sailed on her over a dozen times, most of them in cabin 108. We last sailed on her two weeks before her final cruise, and sailing to Guantanamo Bay. Toward the end of the cruise, I snuck out of the cabin, and was unscrewing the "108" plate from above the door, with a "borrowed" butter knife, when our cabin steward, suddenly, appeared. He looked at me, at smiled, and said, "It's OK, mon, you earn it."
When I saw the pictures of her sinking, I actually cried.....
I have run into many people who have either worked, or sailed, on her and almost every single one has the fondest memories.....
Old October 18th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Linda T.

Hi,
I hated it when it sank too. That was one of my favorite ships of all time. I thought she was beautiful too, it was like going back in time the way it was decorated. I really miss that era of cruising, feeling like your on a ship instead of a floating resort.