Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 2nd, 2001, 09:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default I wish it had turned out different

Those who may have read my Virtual Cruise from the Explorer of the Seas might have got the impression we didn't have table-mates for dinner.
Though the report sort of read that way, it wasn't really the case. It was just that we didn't get to spend as much time with our table-mates as you'd normally expect to, for a variety of reasons. We didn't move to their table until the second night onboard. Then on some other nights alternate dinner reservations in Portofinos, etc interfered with us spending as much time together as we would have liked.

Our table-mates were actually a family of four ladies. An elderly mother who had some mobility problems, and her three grown daughters. Two of whom had never cruised before. They were delightful, and we certainly did enjoy our time with them during the few meals we did share, and when we met around the ship.

At our first dinner together they explained that one of the "girls", Patty, had terminal cancer, had just finished with chemo and radiation, and her dream was to take a cruise. Mom and her two sisters made this happen.

After a couple of days onboard they told us Patty was doing great on the ship. Feeling better than she had in a long long time, and truly taking in the entire experience, and loving it! Their eyes sparkled when they talked about having the opportunity of having this experience together. We joked and laughed; all the things that come natural on a cruise vacation.

On the 5th night of the cruise we met for drinks after dinner. They had seen the sign at the purser's desk offering the next week's cruise at bargain prices, and wanted to ask me some questions about how to make this happen.
They were as giddy as children unwrapping presents, explaining that everyone felt so good, and was having such a good time they wanted to stay on another week.
In the little time we had spent together I developed great respect for these four ladies for their obvious strength in dealing with adversity, and for the obviously special family bond they shared.
I was totally excited for them, that the cruise was so special to them they didn't want it to end!! We all parted company that night smiling and laughing.

I had already begun formulating an article in my mind about these ladies, and how one's dream of cruising had brought them so close together, and how being together had given them so much strength.

Later that night Patty had a massive seizure while enjoying their balcony, and was taken to the ship's infirmary. When we learned about this the next day I shed tears for these 4 brave ladies.
They later told us RCI's doctors and staff were wonderful with assisting in making arrangements for medical transport to take them home, when the ship reached Miami.
I learned yesterday that Patty passed away, with her mother, loving sisters and families by her side. I'm sure aside from the pain of loosing a daughter and a sister, they'll take comfort in the memories of their very special moments together on the Explorer, fulfilling Patty's dream.
And I am honored that they shared some of those moments with us.
Patty .. Rest in Peace! It was our pleasure sharing your special cruise with you.

Regards,
Kuki
Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2001, 09:44 PM
sailinglisa

Default Re: I wish it had turned out different

Thank you for sharing that, Kuki. As a nurse, I have seen many times, how the power of a dream or wish has made someone hold on til after it was realized. These women came into your life for a reason and you were put in theirs for the same.
Old November 2nd, 2001, 09:55 PM
Mary Lou

Kuki:
I'm so glad Patty was able to realize her dream. Her last few days were happy and she spent them with her loving family...how wonderful. Thank you for sharing that story.
Mary Lou
Old November 2nd, 2001, 10:22 PM
Admiral

Death is a certainty .... I can't think of a better way to have spent MY last days. These ladies gained so much from that short experience...thanks for sharing their story.

Mgram
Old November 2nd, 2001, 10:43 PM
Admiral

It's hard to answer this with tears in my eyes. But thank you for sharing this with us. Things happen for a reason and to enjoy life up until the very end is all we can ask for. Being together as a family and to have such lasting memories of great joy at the end- I'm sure will never be forgotten-- It's really helped me after I lost my dad.
April
Old November 2nd, 2001, 11:03 PM
Ginnie

Kuki,
Thank you for sharing this poignent story with us. There was definitely a reason for Patty touching your life, at this time. We sometimes have to be reminded that life is so precious and we shouldn't waste a moment of it.
We just returned from the Explorer with our family, children and grandchildren. We all loved the experience! The food was excellent and the service superb, we thought.
I found it touching to hear that Patty died with those happy memories fresh in her mind. What a comfort that must be to her loving family.
Thank you again for sharing this with us.
Ginnie
Old November 3rd, 2001, 12:21 AM
Admiral

What a sweetness, Kuki.

I'm sure that the four ladies' trip was a lot more special just because of you and Mrs. Kuki.

That's about all I can say because the tears are clogging my keyboard.

You are one special Moose.
Old November 3rd, 2001, 07:54 AM
Admiral

Patty must have been one special lady, with a wonderful attitude like that. At least now she's finally found some rest on an endless cruise. Thanks, Kuki. Inspirational.
Old November 3rd, 2001, 01:27 PM
Katherine

Thank you for sharing this. It really makes us realize how fragile life is. I know that those ladies enjoyed your company those days on board. Thank you for being Kuki.
Old November 3rd, 2001, 01:53 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to ChrisC

I could say a lot about this but I don't need to. You go Patty.
Old November 3rd, 2001, 04:16 PM
Flyrod

Kuki,,you have touched the lives of every one that reads this board. thanks.
Old November 4th, 2001, 03:49 PM
First Mate

How blessed Patty and her family, and you and Mrs. Kuki were!!! As all have said before, God always put people in our lives at a time we need it most. Patty's dream came true, to be on a cruise and enjoy evey last minute of it!! And yours, you wonderful moose, was to be in hers. All are truly blessed.

God speed,Kuki, and look forward to meeting you in person on the Summit!