Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 3rd, 2001, 03:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Need hotel suggestions for New Orleans

I have never sailed out of New Orleans and need hotel suggestions for a pre-cruise stay. I will be traveling with my husband and two children, ages 9 and 11. Not sure if a stay in the French Quarter would be appropriate. Would love to stay somewhere close to the pier so I can see the ship dock. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old November 3rd, 2001, 07:04 PM
Pooh Bear

Default Re: Need hotel suggestions for New Orleans

We were in New Orleans several years ago a couple of years back-to-back when my husband's beloved Buckeyes played in the Sugar Bowl.

We stayed both times at the Embassy Suites in the Warehouse district. We were able to walk to the convention center/pier area from the hotel - and then on to the French Quarter from there. Might be too much of a walk for some folks - but we absolutely enjoyed ourselves both times. The hotel is almost directly across from Emeril's restaurant and there other restaurants within walking distance. The trolley is easily accessible near the Riverwalk/Convention Center/Pier.

I believe there is a Hyatt or Hilton right on Riverwalk which might be more appropriate for you if you want to be right on the river to watch the water traffic. Don't know much about hotels in the French Quarter except that we thought they were pretty expensive.

Be sure you take the Green Trolley (I think that's it!) that goes through the Garden District of NOLA.

It was cool to stand on our balcony at the Embassy suites and literally look UP at the cruise ships that docked at Riverwalk - really a strange sight to have to look UP to see the ships!

You might want to explore hotels in NOLA on the web.

Enjoy your time in NOLA - we just loved the place!

Pooh Bear
=^-.-^=
Old November 3rd, 2001, 10:39 PM
Admiral

Stephanie ...

Wherever you end up staying, don't fail to take the kids to the Aquarium. Tres cool.

They would probably also enjoy beignets at the Cafe du Monde (do not wear black as you will wear powdered sugar for the rest of the day) and the outdoor-ish market, just watching the world go by. Plenty of good cheap junk.

NOLA is kind of a grown-up place for tourists, so I don't have any other really great ideas

Pooh Bear makes a good point. Cruise the net for ideas of what to do.

Our favorite restaurant is Bayona ($$$$$ and not a place kids would like, but you could get a hotel sitter?) They might like Mother's for po'boys or the Acme Oyster House. Brennan's for brunch is a NOLA staple (any day of the week) but if your kids aren't into serious chowing down, that may be a non-starter.

Whatever, cherchez les bon temps et lassiez les bon temps roullier !!!

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor and big fan of NOLA
Old November 3rd, 2001, 11:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the great tips Pamda and Pooh Bear. The beignets sound wonderful! Now I just have to find some great cajun food.
Old November 5th, 2001, 12:35 AM
Travelstar

We asked the same question before booking our cruise. More than one person recommended the Hilton Riverside. Someone also mentioned the Wyndham Riverfront. A friend of mine, with family in NO, said that the Warehouse district is very nice and that most of the hotels in that area would be acceptable. The convention center is close to both the cruise terminal and the Riverwalk mall. We got a good rate at the Wyndham, so we booked there. Our kids are about the same ages as yours (9&12). While I've stayed in the French Quarter before, I feel more comfortable keeping the kids away from Bourbon Street at night.
Old November 5th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm with you on keeping the kids away from Bourbon Street at night Travelstar. Thanks for your help too
Old November 5th, 2001, 08:34 PM
PHILLIP

STEPHANIE: WE TRAVEL TO NOLA SEVERAL TIMES A YEAR AND ALWAYS STAY AT THE HILTON RIVERWALK . YOU CAN BOOK THRU
HARRAH'S (THEY ARE ACROSS THE STREET) AND USUALLY PAY ONLY
$ 59.00 TO $ 89.00 PER NIGHT COMPARED TO THE $ 200 - $300 THE HOTEL
WILL ASK.