Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2001, 06:43 AM
Mary Lou

Default Anyone apply for Passport recently?

Seems to me that a passport might make life easier on my upcoming New Years Cruise. My concern is this......only 52 days 'til we sail. I have to send my original birth certificate with the application. What if I don't get the passport back in time...and I don't have my birth certificate? I'm not willing to pay the extra money for express service. Has anyone recently applied for a passport, and if so, how long did it take to get? Thanks for you help.
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host
Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2001, 07:14 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Anyone apply for Passport recently?

I sent my application in on Sept. 1st and thought I would be late getting it...surprise to me I received it on Sept 16th...
Old November 7th, 2001, 07:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Good Morning, ML ==>

Passports typically take less than four weeks. We got ours in less than three. To be safe, why not order a second copy of your birth certificate? That shouldn't take more than three to four weeks either.

Good luck...JimM
Old November 7th, 2001, 07:31 AM
Admiral

You can also pay an "expediated/express" rate where they process your application quicker.

Theresa
Old November 7th, 2001, 08:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

My daughter and son in law applied for passports about two months ago. He was worried that his might not get back in time for their trip and he only had one copy of his certified Birth Certificate so he paid for expedited service, she didn't. He got his back in two weeks and hers came three days later. Don't know if this was the exception or the rule, but thought it interesting.
Old November 7th, 2001, 08:30 AM
Yeoman

We got ours in under two weeks, but we did the renewal by mail for expired passports. We didn't pay for expidited service. If you do decide to get the passport you should probably get another copy of your birth certificate just in case. They are only about $7 for the first and then $2 for everyone after. Same with marriage licenses.
Old November 7th, 2001, 09:35 AM
Cruise Maniac

We went to the main post office downtown and had ours processed and in our hands the next morning. They looked at everything while we were there and didn't have to keep any of our paperwork. Yes, we paid a pretty penny to get overnight service, but at the time, John needed his asap for a trip and that was our only choice.
See if there is an office in your area and see what the rates are for expedited, overnight, etc.
Old November 7th, 2001, 09:39 AM
Hucc

52 days should be more than enough time. When I got my passport it only took 7 days.
Old November 7th, 2001, 12:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

I found that getting an instant passport (applying in person at the processing point) has some restrictions on it, that you must be able to prove that you are scheduled to leave the US within the next few days. Passport officials will ask to see your ticket confirming your travel date to a foreign destination, and at least in the San Francisco you must call ahead and make an appointment to submit your application.

I used the expedited service earlier this year and received my passport in about ten business days, giving me some extra time before my cruise to whine about how bad the picture is.
Old November 7th, 2001, 12:50 PM
Mary Lou

I would like to thank each and everyone of you. I knew you guys would come through for me. It never even crossed my mind that I could order another Birth Certificate. That is what I'm going to do...that way if the Passport doesn't arrive in time, I'll still have a B.C. Thanks again....you guys are the best.
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host
Old November 7th, 2001, 12:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

we showed them a letter on a company letterhead that John was to leave on a certain date, and they accepted it.
His travel plans ended up cancelled but oh well.
I applied for mine the normal way and got mine within two weeks.
Old November 7th, 2001, 04:40 PM
Chyna_c

I applied on August 31, 2001 and had my passport in hand on September 8, 2001 and paid no extra fees. Think about it, even the Labor Day weekend was in there!! Amazing a part of government that still "works"!

Chyna
Old November 7th, 2001, 08:36 PM
Gaile

MaryLou,

Daughter got hers and my granddaughters in about three weeks. Go for it, you'll never be sorry.

Gaile
CM Host Tweety
Old November 9th, 2001, 06:04 PM
holly

Applied for a first time passport 10/22 with regular service. Received by standard mail on 11/1 or 11/2.