Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2001, 07:03 PM
Joy V. (Overwhelmed!)

Default Best cruise line to take to AK?

My husband and I are looking to take a cruise with another couple friend of ours to AK in August 2002. We are in our late 20's early 30's and arent really 'partiers' but prefer fine dining/wine, some dancing, creative day trips/excursions and such... My husband (a bit of a clausterphobic person) would like large rooms.

I'm feeling overwhelmed with the amount of choices... anyone have any recommendations? We would like to stay under $2000/person if possible...

Thank yoU!
Joy
joy@cutestuffinside.com
Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2001, 07:13 PM
sailinglisa

Default Re: Best cruise line to take to AK?

Check out Holland America, Princess or Celebrity. I really enjoy Princess, but the other two lines have larger staterooms; all three have balcony cabins, which make the claustrophobia much less severe - and there is nothing like sitting on your private balcony watching the scenery go by. Princess and Holland America have been in Alaska the longest and have the best tours and land based accomodations.
Old November 7th, 2001, 10:07 PM
Lady Jag

My husband is also somewhat claustrophobic. Cruising without a balcony isn't his idea of fun. When you consider prices, make sure you compare the balcony cabins and square footage. Every cruise line will tell you their cabin SF if you call them. Also, look at cruisemates.com (think that's it). They have 360 degree views of the cabins. Good luck! Planning the cruise is half the fun!
Old November 7th, 2001, 11:24 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to Jennifer

Joy,
Those 360 degree views are at mytravelco.com. Go to cruises, and then you can find the 360 view part. I haven't been to Alaska yet, so I'm learning right along with you.
jennifer
Old November 8th, 2001, 08:32 AM
Admiral

Have you considered which itinerary you would prefer? Round trip from Vancouver or Seattle, or a North to South or vice versa itinerary? This choice may narrow your choice of cruise lines.
Old November 8th, 2001, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Tagging onto Merm, my itinerary choice would be south to north ... Vancouver to Seward ... in a starboard balcony cabin.

Alaska cruises tend to be more "early to bed, early to rise" rather than lots of late-night frolics.

Check out the "Destinations" area here, if you haven't already done so.

Send the husbands out to fish for salmon one day. The chef will happily prepare Mr. Fish for you. There's nothing better in this world. Well, maybe one or two.

Every now and then someone asks me ... If you could only ever take one cruise, what would it be? ALASKA !!!

Great choice.

pamda --CM First-Time Cruisers Editor