Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 21st, 2001, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Default HAL Statendam 3/13

I recieved quite a surprise this Thanksgiving eve. My husband told me for my Christmas present he had booked a cruise with HAL
on the Statendam for 10 days on the Mexican Rivera. I think it's great! I have only one question...I've read that HAL is for older people and I'm not ready to be one of those. I guess I should give a little history here. I've been on a couple of cruises with my Mom and sisters, but hubby never went along because he was a sub-mariner for 6 yrs and after he got out wanted nothing to do with the sea. I'm so-o-o excited, but want to make sure we're not going with the geriatric set. Also want to let you know he has booked a suite. Isn't he sweet? Don't want TO BURST HIS BUBBLE, but I don't want to be with old people(frame of mind). Any suggestions here? THANKS
Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2001, 03:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C
Default Re: HAL Statendam 3/13

Hello Sue,

First, you are in for a treat with HAL. My wife and I sailed HAL for the first time this past September and were very impressed. Many items are free with HAL that are charged for on other cruise lines. The service was fantastic as was the complete staff.

As for a suite that is perfect, 563 sq ft and absolutly beautful. We were in a mini suite at 284 sq ft and it was spacious and the best mini we have had on many a cruise line.
HAL does attract an older crowd but certain itineraries do not, Caribbean and the Mexican Rivera.

The longer the cruise on any line attract the older crowd, Princess, Celebrity etc. A 10 day Mex Riv is great and you should not feel you will be with the geriatric set.

We sailed the Zaandam with 2 other couples, ranging in age from the 40's to 60's and were plesantly surprised on the number of people we met in our age groups. This paticular cruise was actully a 22 day Panama Canal cruise but we only did the 6 day reposition from Vancouver to San Diego.

We have some close friends that sailed the Statendam and now hooked on HAL. They have sailed other cruise lines including Ren which was their favorite, but due to chapter 11 for Ren have now booked 2 HAL cruises for 2002. They are in their mid 50's and never felt out of place with the age group. We are also in our 50's, but the mind says early 40's and that is the we act.

Go and have a great time, the Mex Riv is for the young and old, mainly the young. We will sail HAL in a heartbeat, wonderful cruise line.

The only cruise that is not great, is the cruise you are not on.

Y2C (yes2cruising)
Tuesday West Coast Chat Host
Old November 22nd, 2001, 02:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: HAL Statendam 3/13

Just got back from two weeks on the Century. First week we were with people our own age. (54 and 56) It was fine. Second week we had two couple over eighty that rolled up to the table in wheelchairs. They were full of life and kept us laughing through every meal. It is not age you should be concerned with, it is personality. If you do get crabby people at your table, young or old, ask for a different table. The cruise lines live to please. Keep an open mind and have fun.

Virginia