Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 26th, 2001, 12:10 AM
Charles A. Wilmot, Ph.D.
Default Cabin Upgrade Procedure?

Has anyone of the readers here ever been successful in securing a cabin upgrade after boarding a ship? If so, what was the procedure? We're boarding the NCL Wind in Singapore on 12/15 for a cruise to Sydney. I suspect that there is likely to be substantial unused cabin space in most every category following the events of 9/11and we would very much like to move up a grade or 2 if that can be done. Any suggestions will be most welcome. Chuck
Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2001, 01:04 AM
Default Re: Cabin Upgrade Procedure?

See the head purser as soon as you board. Ask about the availability of other cats. Offer to pay an upcharge, and above all be nice and express your gratitude for their time and effort. Don't expect an immediate response, ask if you could check again with them after sailing.
Old November 26th, 2001, 11:20 AM

We have gotten all our upgrades through our travel agent. I just contacted her when I saw the prices had dropped for our cruise and she took care of the rest. We went from a 4A (cheapest inside) to a 6B (midlevel oceanview).

I would say call you TA the worst he/she can say is sorry I can't help you.
Old November 26th, 2001, 03:03 PM
Lady Jag

We've gotten an upgrade at the pier before, just before embarkation. We had to pay the full published fare price difference between the categories. Don't expect to get a 'deal'. About 99% of the time, it won't happen. Try going through your TA NOW instead of waiting. If you choose not to upgrade before the cruise, at least you'll have an idea of the price difference if you are able to upgrade at the pier.
Old November 26th, 2001, 05:01 PM

Hi, Chuck ...

"Unused cabin space" is quite the myth since 9/11. Most ships seem to be sailing at over 90% occupancy, largely due to reduced fares.

People ARE sailing, they're just not paying as much.

On the Dream/Wind sisters, there's not much difference at all in cabins in any category unless you score a balcony which intrudes on the square footage of your cabin -- if memory serves.

For a trip such as you describe -- lots of ocean --- I'd rather be lower and amidships crossing the Tasmin Sea than have a balcony.

We far preferred our non-balcony cabin on Dream compared to the balcony cabin friends had. The balconies are VERY small. We had an excellent sitting area, our friends didn't.

It's not very likely that you'll get a "free" upgrade pierside. If you want a "better" cabin, talk to your TA now and be prepared to pay for it. Just make sure you know what "better" is.

The only time I've ever asked for an upgrade, it was because of a mistake in cabin assignment. We only opened our suitcases for toothbrushes and other minor essentials and visited Guest Relations the next morning when things had calmed down. Don't get into a long line of other people asking for the same thing.

In Singapore, don't miss the Satay Club on Clark Quay. You are allowed to skip the $20 Singapore Sling at the Long Bar at Raffles.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old November 26th, 2001, 09:10 PM
John L.

We just got back from Hawaii on the Vision which sailed from Ensenada on 11/4.
About a month before sailing I called my TA to see what it would cost to go from our balcony to a mini suite. She told me $700 for the two of us which I thought was too much. She told me to check at the pier at check in. At the pier I was told to check with the purser when we boarded. I immediately went to the purser who put me on the list and was told that it would not be free which I understood and would pay if reasonable. The purser told me they would let me know the next day. As we unpacked that evening my wife did not seem too excited to have to repack and unpack in another cabin if an upgrade did come about. Well, no worry, we received a letter the next day that an upgrade was not available. There was talk of 1800 passengers on board and the ship holds 2,400. I didn't hear much of upgrades on the ship and the couple at our dinning table was in an inside cabin. With 600 vacancies seems all the insides should have gone up to at least an outside.
Old November 26th, 2001, 10:33 PM

I only get upgrades when I least expect them.

When I want them - they never come.

There are so many factors that play into who gets upgrades - it is impossible to predict who will get them and who won't. And sometimes, cruiselines will upgrade those who you would least expect them to.

If you really want the upgrade - talk to your TA and see if she can "reasonably" get you upgraded. Sometimes they will out of kindness, other times they may reduce the price between the categories. Sometimes they will not do anything. A lot of this is out of the hands of the TA and lies in some computer somewhere.

Good luck!
Old November 27th, 2001, 05:25 PM

I don't think your cruise is fully booked as I received an unbelievable deal to go on this cruise just yesterday.
We can't go but if I was you I would call your TA and do all that the above suggested.

cabin, embarkation, ncl, upgrade