Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 27th, 2001, 10:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Would U rather get voice mail or a busy signal

Today, I tried to do some business by telephone.. 3 different people, 3 different businesses, and I got voice mail, and let my message with my number. Not one of them called me back! I was just a TAD peeved!!!!!!!

I am so sick of hearing.. I am away from my desk or on the phone.

What I want to know is doesn't anyone actually work at their desks?? And if they are at their desks, are they only there long enough to talk on the phone and then be gone again?

And if they are at their desk, while they're there, wouldn't it make sense to check their voice mail, and respond to those who bothered to leave a message?

It's gotten so bad that if I ever call someone and they actually pick up the phone and say hello, I get so flustered I forget who I was calling, and hang up.
Sponsored Links
Old November 27th, 2001, 10:21 PM
Robocop

Default Re: Would U rather get voice mail or a busy signal

What I have come to hate even more are these computer generated calls that these advertisers and solicitors are now using. Now a darn machine is calling you and telling you to call another machine so you can listen to a recorded sales pitch!!! ARRRGGGGHHH!!!!
Jim
Old November 27th, 2001, 10:25 PM
sailinglisa

What I hate is a computer generated call and when I pick up and say "Hello" no one is there! I always hang up even if I hear someone pick up the line after I say hello - if they want me to at least try to listen to them ,they can have the courtesy of being on the other end of the phone when I pick up!
Old November 27th, 2001, 10:33 PM
seamom

I have done telemarketing from home for the last three years and have seen a dramatic change in communication manners and patterns.

These are not cold calls but the customer has filled in cards requesting photograph sessions with information from family members, pets addresses and several phone numbers, home, work and cell.

I'd say I reach about 5% of the people called a day........of the 95% of the messages I leave, I'm lucky to get 1% return. If I call each person three times, I leave a final message saying the special price they have requested is being discontinued if they don't call within two weeks and often get a response from about 1% more. Three years ago, about three times as many would have called and some to even politely tell me they had changed their mind, no but thank you for calling.

An email is much more effective and saves my vocal chords. When I am given an e-ddress, I send an email with the complete information and follow it up with a call a few weeks later to remind them. Much higher response.....even though they still make me repeat all the information on the phone again or have me resend it as it was "lost" or they must have discarded it as junk.

Talk about a phone chase.......definitely considering this a dying trend...and giving it up soon.
Old November 27th, 2001, 10:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'd MUCH rather talk to a person, but I can live with a Voice Mail system IF I believe that the person is not available. What REALLY gets me is to see folks at work, sitting at their desk, with their phone forwarded to VM! If it's one of my folks I ask them why, and sure hope they have a good answer! They've gotten the message: Very few reasons to have your phone forwarded toVM when you are sitting at your desk. Just downright rude!
I sprang for one of the Caller Id phones (only for internal numbers) so I can tell whose got their phones forwarded and whose actually on the line on another call. I've been known to take a stroll to the person's desk if I see that their phone is forwarded, and not just busy or no answer. Usually let them know I tried to call to see their reaction. Lot's of embaressed folks, and fun to hear their cover up stories (might even be tempted to use a few of the more inventive ones!)

Dall
Old November 27th, 2001, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Oh, that's the smallest part of it.

"We have recently changed our voice mail system, so please listen carefully before you make your choice..."

Yours in frustration,

pamda
Old November 27th, 2001, 11:02 PM
Lady Jag

Sometimes I wish we could do away with phones all together! I don't like chatting for hours on the phone like some of my girlfriends do, but give me the computer and I have no problem doing it!
Old November 28th, 2001, 06:51 AM
Admiral

Voice Mail is better than a busy signal. If I REALLY need to TALK to the person, I leave one message, then set it on speaker phone, and keep punching redial and let it ring and ring. If they ARE there, they will answer eventually, or be annoyed all day.
Old November 28th, 2001, 06:57 AM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)

I agree, voice mail is a nice communications "tool" but it is abused. Worse yet, call a business and get the voice menu system....sure miss the days of a human voice....I think we called them receptionists or operators.

DeniseZ
Old November 28th, 2001, 09:04 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to SeaFan Send a message via Yahoo to SeaFan

I can deal with voice mail, especially if you need the person to look up information. What I hate is the voice messaging system, by the time you get thought the phone tree you have forgotten what you wanted.
Old November 28th, 2001, 09:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

I prefer voice mail rather than the busy signal, but I let them know, I expect to hear from them and if they don't call back, I will assume that my business is not important to them and I will go elsewhere.
Don't like salescalls and automated calls.
I have this little device about the length of your index finger. As soon as I hear that it is a salescall, I push the little button and hang up. The sales person on the other end hears this message...."I'm sorry but this home does not accept calls of this nature, please take this as your notice to remove us from your mailing list....goodbye" and it hangs up.
Of course, recently I have come up with something called Privacy Manager. I never get sales calls anymore. It is great!
Old November 28th, 2001, 09:49 AM
First Mate

Prefer vm to busy signals. If I have something to say, I like to just leave a short message and I do not have to worry about trying to remember to call again. On my phone at home, we have caller ID, if it say unavailable, we do not pick up.

I have never forwarded my work phone to vm while I am at my desk. If I am there, I pick up the phone. I hardly get any call at work, we have a reception where 90% of the calls go through first, but everytime I leave my office and then return, I check the phone to see if the message waiting sign has a little arrow saying I have one. I return all received call the same day.

You guys should try call me!

Tiffany
Old November 28th, 2001, 09:50 AM
First Mate

Prefer vm to busy signals. If I have something to say, I like to just leave a short message and I do not have to worry about trying to remember to call again. On my phone at home, we have caller ID, if it say unavailable, we do not pick up.

I have never forwarded my work phone to vm while I am at my desk. If I am there, I pick up the phone. I hardly get any call at work, we have a reception where 90% of the calls go through first, but everytime I leave my office and then return, I check the phone to see if the message waiting sign has a little arrow saying I have one. I return all received call the same day.

You guys should try call me!

Tiffany