Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 16th, 2001, 11:09 PM
Lady Jag

Default Which airline is your favorite & why?

My kids' vote is TWA "because they have movie screens on the chairs and headphones".

My vote is American for the extra leg room.

What's yours?

:o)
Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2001, 11:16 PM
sailinglisa

Default Re: Which airline is your favorite & why?

I have three - TWA and American for the extra leg room (I love those Boeing 717's!). I also like Midwest Express which is based out of Milwaukee - they have no first class - all seating is two across leather seating, with real food served on real china; free champagne or wine with your meals and on most flights that end in Milwaukee, fresh baked Chocolate Chip Cookies baked right on the plane (have you ever had to sit through a flight and meal smelling those things bake? It is a wonderful experience.) I like to fly Midwest Express, but they don't always go where I am going! Their fares are comparable to other airlines.
Old December 16th, 2001, 11:37 PM
Admiral

We may never get to fly them again, but Air Singapore !!!

But they don't have chocolate chip cookies.

pamda
Old December 17th, 2001, 12:26 AM
Frank_rim

My vote is for American Airlines because of more leg room. At 6' 2" and long legs, I appreciate my knees not being jammed into the seat in front of me!!

No cookies but food served is not bad for airline grub!!

Frank
Old December 17th, 2001, 05:41 AM
Admiral

I have to agree with those in favor of AAmerican, but I prefer Delta when I can find a flight that doesn't stop in Atlanta.
Old December 17th, 2001, 06:28 AM
Admiral

Midwest Express!!!!!!

If only all airlines could be like this - every seat is first class! Like that all leather seats, champaign, real food, etc. .

I only wish they flew more places. They seem to have cut back recently because I have not been able to use them recently to any of my destinations.
Old December 17th, 2001, 09:45 AM
Carole Bensley

Any plane that the wings stay on, the tail stays on, the engines stay on and it takes off and lands without incident.
Seriously, American is first on the list for leg room, and just overall "feel" of the airplane, crew, etc.
Continental for the nonstop flights.
Old December 17th, 2001, 10:24 AM
DisneyBlonde

US Air...but not for any particular reason. When I worked for GE I used to travel alot. A REAL lot. I used US Air and started getting those frequent traveler awards...just stuck with them. Haven't had many problems with late or cancelled flights. They have never lost my luggage.

I really liked a SouthWest flight I took last year, the flight attendants were like comedians - they had 'bits' that they did throughout the flight. But I still tend to gravitate toward US Air.
Old December 17th, 2001, 10:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to LuLu

American for longer trips and good ole Southwest for the short trips to Vegas. They do entertain you.
Old December 17th, 2001, 11:39 AM
First Mate

I'll go along with the majority, American is one of my favorites. SouthWest is pretty good also, I've had good luck with them.

Stay away from America West they have a very poor ontime record in my experience. Only reason I made all my connections was that the later legs were also delayed each time.

Doug.
Old December 17th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I'm pretty limited in choices of airline when flying south, into the US. I used to fly Ameican alot, but they got worse and worse and worse, until I finally swore off them, and wrote an article entitled I'd Rather Join AA than fly AA..
After swearing off AA, I was alternating between Air Canada, Northwest and Continental. Guess what.. they weren't any better.

Next week, for our trip to Florida, I'll be giving AA their proverbial second chance, since they have supposedly added leg room. We'll see if we can trust your opinions.. and if they really have improved.

Regards,
Kuki
Old December 17th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Captain

Sorry, LadyJag, but your boys will never again fly TWA. Their merger into AA is completed and TWA no longer exists.

As to favorite....I can't say I like any of them. I regard flying as a necessary evil to get to where I want to go. For me, it's something I simply have to put up with.
Old December 17th, 2001, 01:57 PM
sailinglisa

Yes, TWA is still flying, but you have to check in at AA counters, tickets are through AA - they are AA flights operated by TWA.....very confusing!!
Old December 17th, 2001, 03:32 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to SeaFan Send a message via Yahoo to SeaFan

I guess we would have to say Delta only because we live near one of the hubs. I would rather walk than fly US Air, the first time we used them our flight was canceled and they lost my luggage on the return flight. The next time we used US Air all of those flights were delayed, now mind you we were not flying in the winter this was Sept. of last year no bad weather.
Old December 17th, 2001, 03:35 PM
Lady Jag

Sounds like Midwest Express is doing something right! Why can't the other airlines take a lesson from them? Sounds like First Class flying for a Coach price!! Too bad they don't come out West. :o(

I know, sail7seas, so Delta is their second choice, okay? Picky, picky, picky!!! :o)
Old December 17th, 2001, 03:50 PM
sailinglisa

Actually, Lady Jag - they do fly out to California - SFO, LAX and I think they still go to San Diego - it's just that they do one flight to and from each airport there each day! But then you have to connect either in KC, Omaha or most likely Milwaukee.
Old December 17th, 2001, 03:59 PM
Lady Jag

Oh. Where do they go to other than KC, Omaha & Milwaukee? Do they go to NY, FLL, Miami or SJU? (hint-hint-cruise destinations!)
Old December 17th, 2001, 05:20 PM
sailinglisa

NY, FLL. NY lots of flights daily to LaGuardia and Newark. FLL one flight daily only during the winter season (and with that flight you would probably have to stay overnight in Milwaukee and catch that flight the next day.) But from LAX - MKE - LGA should be able to be done in one day.

Check out <http://www.midwestexpress.com>
Old December 17th, 2001, 07:56 PM
Admiral

TWA is NOW American Airlines.

Up until last week - they were TWA flying as American. This was only during the transition which ended a week or two ago.

I happened to be flying the first day or two after they switched. All of TWA's computers have been switched to American Airlines system. The pilots are now saying "Thank you for flying American Airlines" when they talk to you. The uniforms have all changed to American.

At the airport - the gate I had to go through said "American flights going through St. Louis" to indicate the former TWA flights. It is my understanding that some tickets in the future may still say American operated by TWA or TWA but it is just a matter of time before that is switched.

Needless to say - no one was very quick at the computers working with the new system. Especially when my tickets were "somehow cancelled".

If you go to TWA's website and click on Reservations - you go to AA.com

In the next couple of months - all the planes will be repainted.

Theresa
Old December 17th, 2001, 07:59 PM
Admiral

Lisa is right - Midwest Express does fly out east. I have flown to CA that way. Unfortunately I could not get to San Francisco for my January trip through them. They used to have a direct flight from Omaha to LA which was great.

That airline is amazing and is normally profitable each quarter!

Love those huge seats! Customer Service is also excellent. It is hard to go back to a regular line after flying them.

They also fly to Newark, DC and a few other great places!
Old December 17th, 2001, 08:23 PM
Admiral

I meant "fly west". Don't know what direction I am.

They fly east and west from here!
Old December 17th, 2001, 09:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have 2 favorite: USAir (hopefully, they'll stay in business), because of their flight times, and very friendly staff, from the ticket counter to the stewardesses (I even wrote to the Pres. of USAir complimenting them about this). The other is Delta, because I have an AMEX skymiles card, and racked up a lot of points, and.......... well, when you fly free, it's got to be one of your favorite.
Old December 18th, 2001, 01:12 AM
Gaile

US Air gets my vote, good service and as dependable as any other airline, but Southwest usually gets my money since they fly out of Islip which is 7 miles from my house. Getting to LGA from here sometimes takes me as long as the flight I'm about to take what with the traffic here on Long Island.

Gaile
CM Host Tweety
Old December 18th, 2001, 04:12 PM
Yeoman

I love Midwest Express. I got really spoiled by them when I lived in Wisconsin. Now that I am in Atlanta I fly Delta or Air Tran because they are the cheapest. I prefer United and Northwest to Delta but getting a flight from one of them in Atlanta is expensive.