CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   What to pack for St Thomas/St. Marteen? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/258476-what-pack-st-thomas-st-marteen.html)

Anita from Texas December 26th, 2001 11:54 PM

What to pack for St Thomas/St. Marteen?

We are sailing on the Golden 12/29/01. Is there anyone who has recently returned from this trip that can tell me what the weather was like during the day or night. Should I pack shorts for daytime and sweaters for night? Is it windy and cool on the islands? This is my first trip to this area. Please help! We're leaving in two days!

Thanks!

Anita

Divetex December 27th, 2001 05:40 AM

Re: What to pack for St Thomas/St. Marteen?

Anita, unless you're totally cold-blooded, leave your sweater at home. Days are hot, and nights are quite warm and balmy. If you want to spend the entire night on deck or on a balcony, you could conceivably need a sweater. We've never taken one, and have yet to feel cool without an AC. Hope this helps. The climate is rather like a warmer Houston, without the smell. :o)

nieciez December 27th, 2001 06:54 AM

I've never needed the sweater for on deck but sometimes for the dining room and show rooms...they can have the ac set pretty chilly.

DeniseZ

Donna December 27th, 2001 04:38 PM

Hi Anita,
At the moment in Fl, it rather chilly, I hope its just for the next day or two??? But while cruising the nights can get chilly, definately pack a sweater or light jacket if you like to go out on deck in the evenings.
I keep checking the temps there and today, only in the 60's, but definately better than we have here in Illinois.

We're taking a 10:00 Delta flight down on Sat, unfortunately have to change planes in Atlanta, so may-be we'll see you onboard Sat,
have a safe trip down.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host

mlbcruiser December 29th, 2001 03:10 AM

Hi Anita,
We once hosted some l7 & l8 yr. old baseball players from St. Maarten. Since we were to visit St. Maarten ourselves 3 wks. later, we asked lots of questions about their weather, etc. When we asked about temperatures, they went blank & really had to think about it. They said the temperatures are similar all year round so they really didn't know just how "cold" or "hot" it got! We have been there as early as late Feb. & as late as Aug. Yes, it is somewhat hotter & definitely more humid in Aug.
However, as someone who lived in Tampa, FL for l7 years, I do not think their weather gets as cool as FL's can in the winter. Therefore, I think you should bring a light sweater or jacket (yep, the a/c on the ships can get cold), and - at the heaviest - a sweatshirt. If you'd rather not take up space w/one, they do sell them on ships, no matter what season. I have been on deck in March & needed a light jacket many times. (Esp. when it's windy.) But, esp. since it is winter in the "north", I think you will find it very warm. Have a great time!