Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 26th, 2001, 11:54 PM
Anita from Texas

Default What to pack for St Thomas/St. Marteen?

We are sailing on the Golden 12/29/01. Is there anyone who has recently returned from this trip that can tell me what the weather was like during the day or night. Should I pack shorts for daytime and sweaters for night? Is it windy and cool on the islands? This is my first trip to this area. Please help! We're leaving in two days!

Thanks!

Anita
Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2001, 05:40 AM
Admiral

Default Re: What to pack for St Thomas/St. Marteen?

Anita, unless you're totally cold-blooded, leave your sweater at home. Days are hot, and nights are quite warm and balmy. If you want to spend the entire night on deck or on a balcony, you could conceivably need a sweater. We've never taken one, and have yet to feel cool without an AC. Hope this helps. The climate is rather like a warmer Houston, without the smell. :o)
Old December 27th, 2001, 06:54 AM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)

I've never needed the sweater for on deck but sometimes for the dining room and show rooms...they can have the ac set pretty chilly.

DeniseZ
Old December 27th, 2001, 04:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Anita,
At the moment in Fl, it rather chilly, I hope its just for the next day or two??? But while cruising the nights can get chilly, definately pack a sweater or light jacket if you like to go out on deck in the evenings.
I keep checking the temps there and today, only in the 60's, but definately better than we have here in Illinois.

We're taking a 10:00 Delta flight down on Sat, unfortunately have to change planes in Atlanta, so may-be we'll see you onboard Sat,
have a safe trip down.

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old December 29th, 2001, 03:10 AM
mlbcruiser

Hi Anita,
We once hosted some l7 & l8 yr. old baseball players from St. Maarten. Since we were to visit St. Maarten ourselves 3 wks. later, we asked lots of questions about their weather, etc. When we asked about temperatures, they went blank & really had to think about it. They said the temperatures are similar all year round so they really didn't know just how "cold" or "hot" it got! We have been there as early as late Feb. & as late as Aug. Yes, it is somewhat hotter & definitely more humid in Aug.
However, as someone who lived in Tampa, FL for l7 years, I do not think their weather gets as cool as FL's can in the winter. Therefore, I think you should bring a light sweater or jacket (yep, the a/c on the ships can get cold), and - at the heaviest - a sweatshirt. If you'd rather not take up space w/one, they do sell them on ships, no matter what season. I have been on deck in March & needed a light jacket many times. (Esp. when it's windy.) But, esp. since it is winter in the "north", I think you will find it very warm. Have a great time!