Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2001, 02:37 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to ChrisC
Default Norwegian Sun

Hey gang, hope you all had a Merry Christmas. Have a couple of questions for you. Considering the Norwegian Sun (because it goes to Belize and Roatan) Anyone been on the Sun? Anyone been to Belize or Roatan? Would appreciate any comments. I am concerned about Norwegian for obvious reasons (financial etc) Thanks gang.
Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2001, 02:51 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Norwegian Sun

Chris,
CC and I had that ship booked for New Years, and cancelled because of the terrible reviews we've read about the ship and its policies. For example, all of the alternative dining restaurants charge extra, but some even charge a la carte. Horrid, methinks. At any rate, the reports about dining room service were pretty much awful, too. Hope this helps.

Never been to Belize, but Roatan is wonderful for divers. For beaches, take plenty of sand flea repellent. Really. Not much to do there other than dive and/or snorkel.

SeaFan has been to Belize and loved it, but all they did was dive...and it was a 2.5- to 3-hour ride to the dive site.. We're having dinner with her and her hubby tomorrow night, so I'll ask her if she can help further.

TD
Old December 28th, 2001, 06:10 PM
BEAV

We sailed the SUN in October for a 12-day Canada/New England cruise. Food/service is good in the alternative (pay) restaurants. The main dining room I can only describe as mediocre. And the buffet? Avoid it like the plague!! Pretty low quality and very poorly designed with traffic/logistical problems.
Old December 28th, 2001, 07:31 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to ChrisC

Thanks guys, will be looking forward to what you find out Tom. Heard some good stuff from LindaC though, maybe they are getting their act together but we wouldn't be going until Spring.
Old December 28th, 2001, 08:00 PM
Cruisinpat

Chris,
We just returned fro the NCL Sun on 12/22 and we loved the ship and almost all of the food and service. I have to tell you that I was a little skeptical about taking this cruise because almost all of the review were horrible. We decided to go and I'm sure glad that we did. With the exception of the first dinner (lousy service and prime rib that I could not even eat) the food was very good even in the restaurant with the buffet. Service was good to very good the entire week. We didn't even eat in the alternative restaurants altho we did have a reservation one night and cancelled it after reviewing the regular restaurant's menu for the evening. The buffet was more then acceptable, it was actually very good. No dried out food. The carved turkey was delicious! And the pasta at lunchtime was excellent. This was our 8th cruise (3 NCL; 3 RCCL; 2 Princess) and we will be sailing with NCL again. I'm not sure if the ship's crew finally got their act together or if we just hit a good week but we really have very little negative to say about our week on the sun.
If you have any specific questions just email me and I'll be happy to answer them. Happy cruising! . . . Cruisinpat
Old December 29th, 2001, 02:14 AM
Admiral

Chris, we did Belize and Roatan Jan 2000 on the Wind,,,,it was wonderful,,,Must say I would love to go back to both places,,,we did a thingie called "Day at the Ranch" in Belize,,can't say enough about this. Booked it thru the ship,,,,also did Tabyania Beach in Roatan,,,this was very nice and relaxing also. If you decide to go,,,,be sure and take insect spray with you,,,,I think I was attacked by sand fleas. Something got me,,,for sure!!!!! Any more questions feel free to ask. Jo