Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old December 29th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Bulldog

Default NCL SKY QUESTIONS

We are booked on NCL SKY for first week in Feb. (7 nights Eastern) This will be my first time on NCL and I am a little worried. We Loved Celebrity and don't know what to make of this "Free-style". I have several questions: First, how many formal nights on a 7 day "Free-style" cruise? Are only some restrurants "formal". Also, we are booked at Embassy Suites-Miami Airport. Is this okay? I have been told that the cab-fare would be $30.00!! Is this true? Exactly how far is the airport from the Miami Pier? We will be staying in Cat. AC suite. Any info on that. I will be traveling with my 80 year old mother & 23 year old daughter. (Hence, the decision to try "free-style"...Figured I'd never get either ready for dinner at a certain time) Thanks so much for any info about this ship and advice.
Old December 29th, 2001, 05:27 PM
Aaron

Default Re: NCL SKY QUESTIONS

We will be on the Sky Jan26th. There are 2 formal nights, if you wish to dress formal. There will be a restaurant and a lounge reserved for the formal pax. I can't answer about the distance to the pier, but I know it is not close. Try calling SuperShuttle, they wil pick up at your hotel and drop you at the pier. I am staying in Ft.Liquerdale for the day before and getting a van ride down to Miami.
Old December 29th, 2001, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Aaron, I am also on the Sky Jan 26th,,,,We are staying in N.Miami beach for a few days b/4 cruise,,,,how do I get ahold of this SuperShuttle??? Might want to see if they can pick us up. Jo
Old December 30th, 2001, 01:17 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to JeffStern

We toured ths Sky, when she was here in Miami, last month. She is a magnificent ship! Has 10 restaurants! Don't know about "freestyle," but has "personal choice" on Princess, in September, a similar concept.
We're kind on "traditional," and didn't know if we'd like P/C. We loved it!
One night, we felt like an early dinner, and went to the dining room at about 8:00. Asked for a large table (you can get one for 2, or more...). Met a couple and spent quite a bit of time with them for the rest of the cruise...
I have heard mixed reviews about the food and service, so you'll have to find out. We used to really enjoy NCL food...
If it's not too late, you might want to re-think the Embassy Suites, at the Airport... It's in an area that is "in the middle of nowhere," surrounded by "unsavorable" neighborhoods.
Try downtown Miami: Hyatt Regency; Marriott Bayside; Sheraton Biscayne Bay; Best Western Marina Park or DoubleTree Biscayne Bay. (Steer clear of the HoJo and Wyndham...) Their all just minutes from Bayside and the pier, and a short taxi ride away from South beach.
Most have airport pick-up and pier drop-off....
Old December 30th, 2001, 09:11 AM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)

Cruisinpat just got back from the Sky and her and Craig loved it!

DeniseZ
Old December 30th, 2001, 01:17 PM
Mike Mastellar

Bulldog;
My wife and I sailed the Norwegian Sky in October of 2000. We enjoyed enjoyed it. I prefer traditional dining but my wife prefers Freestyle. There were two formal nights and there was a dining room designated as formal only. I was actually surprised to see more men in tuxedo's on formal night than there were on Celebrity Mercury.

The Cat AC is a very nice sized cabin. They are forward facing and give you the same view as the Bridge crew.

One thing that I found was that even though it is "Freestyle", most people still choose to dine around 6:30 PM or 8:30 PM. We usually dined around 6:00 PM or 9:30 PM and never had a wait for a table.

There are a number of reviews of the Norwegian Sky, mine included, here on Cruisemates.

http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...ews/ncl_mr.cfm

Sorry, but I am not sure about the cab fare from MIA to Port of Miami.

I think you will enjoy the Sky and Freestyle cruising.

Take Care;
Mike
Monday Chat Host
Old December 30th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Aaron

supershuttle.com

Let's meet for a drink!
Typically the 1st day I wear a CruiseAddicts Tshirt, to meet whoever.
We are a family of three, son 11.
Aaron
Old December 31st, 2001, 03:41 PM
MarieA

There is a great review on cruiseopinions.com of the NCL Sun - different ship, I know, but I thought he did an excellent job describing Freestyle cruising.