Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 30th, 2001, 06:06 PM
Passenger

Default Hilton Hawaiian Village

I stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village before our cruise on the Crown Princess. While this is an idillic spot for a precruise stay, I've assembled some tips for your upcoming Cruisemates arrival:
Transfer from the airport--There is a bus from the airport to all Waikiki hotels, $8. While it stops at any hotel requested, the Hilton is one of the first stops. A taxi runs $16 to $20+. There are countless other shuttles and limo services, from $4.95 per person to $25-$45 for a limo (up to 4 persons).
I strongly recommend that you acquire one or more of the local guide magazines before you go.. The are full of information on dining, transportation, tours, and other tourist attractions. While they are widely available on each island (free), you can order a copy in advance to be mailed to you. The info may be a few weeks old, but little changes from week-to-week and the coupons do not have any expiration date. Each of the following have separate issues for each island: This Week--www.thisweek.com, 808-843-6000; Spotlight (Oahu Gold, etc.)--www.spotlighthawaii.com; 101 Things to Do--www.101things.com, 888-580-8555. Usual charge is $5, $6-$15 for multiple island copies. You might look at these and make transfer arrangements in advance.
The Hotel: We were fortunate to get a corner room on the 26th floor of the Rainbow Tower--perfect. There are a number of towers, try for the Rainbow for the best views and proximity to the beach. The property is huge and beautiful with multiple restaurants and many shops.
We often complain of being nickel and dimed on cruiseships, but Hilton has perfected the technique. Not only are the drinks twice the price of the ship, but the food is very expensive (3 sandwiches and 3 drinks, $62+tip). What takes the cake is the Motel 6-type in-room coffeemaker, a nice touch until you discover that the little packet of coffee you put in it is $3.25 and the tea bag, $1.95!
There is an ABC Store (Hawaii's largest convenience-type store) in the complex. There are no vending machines in the hotel towers, so if you want a Coke, you either order from room service, use the minibar, or go to ABC. There, the prices of booze, wine, sodas and other necessities are fairly reasonable. This should be your first stop after checking in. Beware of the in-room minibars. Not only are they very expensive, but their inventory system is pretty shoddy. I used one can of orange juice, and when I checked out, I had a $59 minibar charge. Apparently, the guests before me raided the thing. The charge was removed without question, but watch your bill.
There is a nice restaurant across the street. Very good (and reasonable) breakfast. Also serves lunch and dinner and has a bar and lounge with entertainment at night. TGi Fridays, McDonalds close by, too.
In conclusion, Hilton Hawaiian Village is a beautiful place for the Cruisemates to stay, but if you need to reserve funds for your shipboard account, BYOB, packets of coffee, teabags, etc., stay out of the minibar, shop at the ABC Store, and explore the neighborhood for alternative dining. Have a great time.
Sponsored Links
Old December 30th, 2001, 06:37 PM
sailinglisa

Default Re: Hilton Hawaiian Village

Thanks for the information. I'm not able to go on the Lei'd cruise, but this kind of information is valuable in case one day I ever get to Hawai'i!
Old December 30th, 2001, 07:33 PM
Frank_rim

I agree, thanks for the info HotAirBob!!!!! Susan and I are going on the Get Lei'd cruise in May. I remember the ABC stores back in the late 80's when we visited the islands three years in a row. If I recall, the stores are located at almost every block. Good values for your buck!!!!

We are not staying at the Hilton, but close by at the Renaissance Ilikai Waikki.

Frank
Old December 30th, 2001, 10:13 PM
Seabreez

Hi Frank
When were you in the Hawaiian Islands in late 80's??
I was there 9/88 and 9/89- each for 2 weeks.
Yes, the ABC stores (we call then Always Bring Cash stores) are
on every block or so it seemed.
Have fun when you visit paradise again.
Seabreez
Pat
Old December 30th, 2001, 11:58 PM
Frank_rim

Hi Pat

We were in the Hawaiian Islands during Feb 1987 and in Oct 1988-89. Loved it!!! Reminded me at lot of the Canal Zone where I was born.

Please contact me on my e-mail and we can talk more about
AZ,Hawaii and your part of the country....PA or Baltimore???

Frank
Old December 31st, 2001, 03:07 PM
susancruzs

Great tips! Even though I've been to Hawaii several times, nice to have the tips about the Hilton! I always search out my own pop because most places are not Pepsi oriented and I have to have my Pepsi!!! Now I know to bring some coffee and tea, too! Thanks! I'm getting close to starting my countdown for that cruise! Susan will be cruisin' on the Summit
Old December 31st, 2001, 04:37 PM
Lady Jag

I was also there in '89 - February to be exact. (also 4 or 5 other times)

Had to laugh when you mentioned the ABC stores - brought back many memories!! Good advice about the BYOB. Anyone who has been to Hawaii knows that just about everything there is expensive. It's good to warn people that have never been there about the prices. Even McDonald's is very pricey! If you get the chance, rent mopeds and cruise all over Honolulu. It's lots of fun and they're very easy to drive.