Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 4th, 2002, 05:57 PM
HelenP

Default Just dropped off the check

Just a bit excited here,just paid for the cruise for March 10 on VOS. Our old travel agent closed her business and our account got taken over by another agent. I just happened to call her today and she told me my money was due yesterday. I wonder when she would have told me. She also told me not to upgrade at the pier to a Cabin in A or B because they would be noisy and not that much bigger. We have 4 in our room and have a Cat C cabin. Does anyone know if we will be able to fit here? Hubby and I can have the couch and the kids can have the twin beds. Does anyone know if we can fit a roll away in Cabin 9284?
I appreciate the support and advice.
Thanks,
Helen
Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Just dropped off the check

Not sure if you are asking about Vision of the Seas or Voyager of the Seas.....BUT.....you need to get another travel agent. That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard for them to tell you not to upgrade at the pier because all you would get is more noise.....Unbelievable!

My recommendation would be to study your brochure and if the larger cabins (Category A or B) are in a location that you would be happy with....upgrade if possible. The higher the category, the larger the cabin - and this holds true for every RCI ship I have been on (7 so far).

I would very much doubt that a roll away would fit in anything below a suite or possibly a handicapped cabin. I personally would try to get a handicapped cabin if one was available, especially if your kids are older.

Whatever you do...have a wonderful cruise....AND change TA's.
Old January 4th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Admiral

I upgraded at the pier and it was worth every penny ($200). I was on Explorer of the Seas. I was in Cabin 1292 and it was extremely quiet. Actually I can't imagine any cabins in the Cat A or B that would be loud on this ship. Not sure what ship you are on but if it is Voyager class - they were very quiet.

I was able to go to a Cat A and the cabin looked twice the size of a C - I could be exaggerating but it was extremely bigger! To turn down this cabin would be the stupidest thing in the world. I wonder if your TA has ever been on a ship before???????

Regardless if you can upgrade or not - congrats on making the final payment and good luck on your cruise.

And - get another TA!

Theresa
Old January 4th, 2002, 09:34 PM
HelenP

Thanks for the advice and I will no longer use this TA again. We are sailing on Voyager and are very excited and I hope I have the opportunity to upgrade at the pier.
Thanks,
Helen
Old January 4th, 2002, 10:23 PM
Admiral

Helen -

Here is how I got my upgrade - I had posted it earlier - I hope it helps! I forgot to mention that we got to the pier very early - around 10:45. They had chairs to sit and wait. Probably started boarding at 11:15.

Author:*Theresa*(---.neb.rr.com)
Date:***12-15-01 21:58

Hi,

Just wanted to let you guys know how I got my Cat A cabin on Explorer this past week.

I had booked an aft cabin - Category DB. We were probably one of the first 100 to the pier. My travel agent (NancyB) had told me that she knew of some of her coworkers who asked for an upgrade at the pier and received the Owners Suite for $200/cabin. This friend had a D8 to begin with. I assumed they got it because they were travel agents, etc. .

I didn't expect anything and was very happy with my cabin. Upgrading a couple of categories would not have done much for me.

Right after I checked in and received my cruise card - I went directly to the left of the check-in counters and went to the "Pier Coordinator". I asked about upgrades and they indicated no complimentary upgrades are given at the pier. I then asked about a "paid upgrade" to a suite. They told me I could go from a balcony to a Cat A Suite for $200/per cabin.

If the Royal Suite had been open - I could have had that for $350/cabin (it wasn't open). There were plenty of cabins that I could choose from - I just let them choose and was very excited. At first I thought it was a lot of money but it was worth every penny! After all, this cabin can go fo $6,000.

A friend of mine had booked an inside cabin and was offered a balcony cabin for $300 (he went to a D9 cabin). He could have received the suite for $500. He was content with the balcony.

I loved my suite. My room steward - Julius - was wonderful! He kept calling me "Teresa girl".

My only complaint was the large 45" flat screen tv that was located between the living room and the bedroom. I would often sit in my living room and it was swilved to the bedroom. Then I would have to get up and reswival it. As you can see - Life was really tough.

My concerige arranged for my ice skating tickets and offered to do more but I didn't taken him up on it. I received daily "snacks" at 5 pm or so. One day it was chocolate covered strawberries, another day cheese and crackers, etc. . .

If you have any questions - let me know. I hope this helps some of you! It was a once in a lifetime "paid upgrade" and I would do it again in a heart beat. I doubt it will ever happen again to me.

Will write some brief comments tomorrow about the ship and the trip. I really enjoyed it.
Old January 6th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Hucc

very cool, Therese! Royal Carib does a wonderful job of those "paid upgrades" at the pier.Glad to hear it worked out for your 'therese girl'