CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Connecting Cabins (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/258583-connecting-cabins.html)

Hucc January 6th, 2002 11:58 AM

Connecting Cabins

Hello, Cruisemates... I see in many cruise brochures that ships will often have connecting cabins. Has anyone ever gotten this type of room and used both sides? What is the set up like? Is it a smooth flow from one room to the other?

Have you gotten this room without sharing it with the party on the other side? Was it still quiet? Does anyone have pictures of this?

I'm also curious about the family suites, especially on Grand Princess. What are those likes?

Any thoughs, comments, and PICTURES would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

pamda January 6th, 2002 12:10 PM

Re: Connecting Cabins

Hi, Hucc ...

We have been in "connecting" cabins before and didn't notice any difference except for the door. There are doors on both sides, so far as I know. We have met people on "the other side" a couple of times. Identical cabins, just reversed.

We've never used both sides.

Usually the hanging lockers (closets) are part of the "foyer" for the cabin and the door is just after that as you walk into the cabin.

Sorry, no pictures.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor

bobbie January 6th, 2002 12:35 PM

Good question, hucc. We have two adjoining cabins for our July AOS cruise, one for the kids and one for us, and I was wondering the same thing. It was a hard decision to make, as we usually cruise in suites, but thought we'd give this arrangement a try. I think we'll like having two bathrooms and separate bedrooms with "real" beds instead of a sofa bed. I think it works out really well for families.

The Grand's Family Suites look like a neat arrangement also. I don't know much about them except that they are aren't in the best locations. I don't like the way they are stuck in the very stern of the ship. I think the location may have been changed for some of them on the Golden. They usually sell out quickly, so book far in advance. BTW - I don't remember seeing any adjoining cabins on the Grand at all. RCI seems to be one line that has this feature and possibly Carnival.

Let's hope someone has pictures!

CruiseCam January 6th, 2002 02:31 PM

Have had a connecting cabin on the Majesty of the Seas this past summer. There was one door between cabins. The only difference I found between the connecting cabins and the other cabins in the same category was a loss of some drawers in the vanity. The vanity was shorter due to the placement of the door.

As far as sound . . . . we had my 2 and 4 year old grandkids in the adjoining cabin and found that we needed to crack the door at night in order to hear them when they got rowdy, couldn't hear them at all with the door closed (found this out the first night).

Definitely the way to go with kids.....2 bathrooms, 2 closets, 4 beds, a door, etc.
:o)

Hucc January 7th, 2002 09:44 AM

thanks for your feedback, cruisematies