Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Need the Puter Geeks Help

I have an entire floppy disk, jammed with pics from the meat of the CruiseMates New Years Bash cruise, and though it shows the pics are present, when I try and open the disk, I get an error message.
I saw the pics on the camera, then when I tried to view them on the puter the s**t hit the fan.
Any help for hopes of recovery from the puter experts out there??

Kuki... stranded in puter illiteracy
Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Need the Puter Geeks Help

It is obviously a case of your disrespect for your COMputer because you do not call it by its formal name when you wish for it to perform a task for you.

That said, I shall enlist the help of Capt'n Queeg at the soonest possible moment.

pamda
Old January 7th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Capt'n Queeg

Kuki wrote
>>when I try and open the disk, I get an error message.

I might be able to help if you could tell me exactly what the error message said. If it says, "Open Other End", that might be a clue.

Queeg (resident geek)
Old January 7th, 2002, 11:27 AM
Admiral

Queeg,
The first time I got the error message it told me to run chkdsk, and repair from there. I tried to find chkdsk, but only got it to check my c drive.

Now when I try and open an individual pic, or click on Mavica to list them all, it tells me that Internet Explorer can not link to this web page.
No wonder, since its not a web wage, but in my A drive.

Eeek.. I use the Mavica because pics on floppies is supposed to be for dummies like me. Now I'm lost in tech zone!

Regards,
Kuki
Old January 7th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Carole Bensley

Try opening up explorer. Right click on start and then Explore.
Click on your A drive. In the right window put your mouse over one of the files. (Don't click yet) Hold down the shift click and then right click. you will now have the option "open WITH".
click on that and when it opens a box, look for your internet explorer icon and click on it.
Now your pic SHOULD open as a webpage. If it doesn't, let me know your error. If it does, then try resaving the photo to your hardrive first...then copy back on a floppy.
Old January 7th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Admiral

Hi Carole,
OK tried that.. also ran scan disk to try and do repairs. Now when I go to open a pic, I get that little box with the red x in it, as though I were trying to post and forgot to include the formula.
Woe is me
Old January 7th, 2002, 06:36 PM
Dale

I agree with Pamda about disrespect. Although I do not generally make this information public, I shall let you know my secret.
For years I suffered all the computer freezes, crashes, errors etc. I would contact the computer gurus and even paid for those pay by enquiry fixes. Invariably, even if the problem was fixed, the situation got worse as the fix caused other incompatibilities and problems.
Then I remembered my first car. It was a Morris Mini Minor. I am not at all mechanical but I know that because of some design flaw, when it rained, a thingymajig got wet. My Mini would not go. So, when it rained I would pat the dashboard and say “you are a great little car, let’s go home so I can put you somewhere dry and warm”. My husband would look in absolute horror, but if he were driving, it would not go unless he got out in the rain, dried and sprayed with some special spray. A few kind words from me and off we’d go. True story!
Now each morning I pat the computer and thank it for all it does for me, no more problems.
So, you can be like my husband and scoff, but when you get really desperate give it a try. A word of warning though, it only works if you are really sincere.
Old January 7th, 2002, 09:23 PM
susancruzs

Cannot help at all but I love that ornament! I think I have a moose ornament to bring to Hawaii and a lapel pin for Mrs. Moose! Sue
Old January 8th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Admiral

can you copy the floppy to another file...then try opening it? heck I don't know but sure hope you find a way