Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 13th, 2002, 07:33 PM
First Mate

Default Princess vs HAL for Alaska

We didn't have the luxury or dilema of having a chat room to read about other people's experiences and recommendations on cruises. Is this stuff addicting? I got stuck on a Disney World site for 6 mos before we went. Oh well!
Looking at Dawn Princess and HAL Statendam or Veendam for Southbound Alaska cruise in late May, 2002. I've read all of the reviews on this site and Cruise reviews.com. Std outside cabin, we are in early 50's(sort of), into wildlife, scenery and photography. Not into late nite partying except the shows unless the scenery is better. Any recommendations for one over the other? Like smaller ship, bigger cabin, not sure about Skagway (Princess) ver Sitka (HAL)?

Have all 3 reserved until tomorrow, Monday, would appreciate imput. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old January 13th, 2002, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Princess vs HAL for Alaska

If this is your first Alaska cruise, make sure that the itinerary includes Glacier Bay and College Fjord. That would be the deal-maker for me.

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old January 13th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Admiral

The good news is that you can't make a bad choice!

Both HAL and Princess have excellent reputations in Alaska!

From what you have described - I would lean towards HAL but both would be excellent.
Old January 13th, 2002, 08:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Cabins will be a fair bit larger on HAL. But neither choice would be a loser.

Regards,
Kuki
Old January 13th, 2002, 09:48 PM
First Mate

Tough choice. I've done Alaska 5 times on Princess (3) Celebrity (1) and HAL (back to back) hard to go wrong with either pick.

Overall I prefer the food and entertainment on Princess and Celebrity over HAL but I didn't go hungry for sure. The cabins on the Statendam are probably a little bigger than on the Statendam but you don't get the in cabin fridge that the others have.

Overall if as you say you are into the scenery and the experience I would choose the Statendam. She has more outside deck space. certrainly with the open forward bow section. I thought she was a more "up close and personal" experience than the Sun class ship. I do have a review posted on this site and several others about the trip.

Skagway/Sitka is a tossup. I find Sitka not as touristy as Skagway and the local totem park and the Raport center are both nice. On the other hand the Yukno White Pass and the Yukon adventure excursions are very nice.

Glacier bay, College fjord and Hunnard are all spectacular. If you can get some time the Kenai fjords tours out of Seward are great. I love the sail out of Seward for great scenery.

Enjoy whatever you pick.

Doug Hembroff
Old January 14th, 2002, 12:20 AM
Admiral

What about choosing betwen HAL and Princess if you include the rail trip as well? From what I've seen in the brochures, it looks like Princess has the better land cruise. We've been wondering about this, but never asked.