Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2002, 06:16 PM
Korinne

Default Ginger Tablets for kids?

Hello everyone!! :-)

Hey SeaFan!! Thanks for asking the question about the seasickness remedies,because I was wondering what to get for the boys (John 17,Matthew 14) just in case they get it! From what I've been reading here,I think I want to go with the Ginger Tablets be-
cause there doesn't seem to be any side effects with it. I'd like to know where to get them and how much I'll be spending on them, and if they're safe for kids! Have any parents here ever had to deal with seasickness with children,and if so,what did you use? I was going to get the bracelets,but if they make you drowsy and dry mouthed,I'd rather not! I'd hate to spend three nites on the ship chasing them out of the bathroom from drinking so much liquid because of the dry mouth or waking them up off the commode because they fell asleep on it from the drowsiness! Can you just see their "Journals"? How I Spent My First Cruise......Ummmmm....Lets see...I remember getting on the Ship,and I remember getting off the Ship,so I guess I slept it away in the bathroom! The End Anyway.....everyone have a great and safe weekend! Yes SeaFan,I'm not looking forward to the snow tonite
and thru Saturday! UGH!!!! I have a Bridal Show to do up there in Fairfield at "Reflections" on Sunday,close by ya!! Take care!!!
62 more days to go for us!!!!! I need a countdown clock on my computer!!
Sponsored Links
Old January 19th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Ginger Tablets for kids?

Korrine, as emma said the Seabands have no side-effects...but you must make sure they are placed between the proper tendons to hit the correct pressure point....they come with directions. This would be a good choice to start, then back it up, IF NECESSARY with Bonine or Dramamine ... both come in NON-Drowsy formulas.

There are a couple of cautions re: ginger. If either of the boys has any kind of bleeding disorder, it would NOT be a good choice.....ginger can act as an anti-coagulent and interfer with normal blood clotting process. Anyone taking Coumadin, Warfarin(same thing...generic) or even aspirin, should not use ginger. Also if too much is taken, it can trigger an irritable bowel attack (know that first hand from chewing too much crystalized ginger on one trip). Which I find strange, because some herb charts list it as an anti-spasmotic. I found this out AFTER the fact. Some herb websites list ginger as having no side effects...while other sites list those mentioned above....I would err on the side of caution. I will post this in the thread below, too. Mgram
Old January 19th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Shar

Assuming the kids have no medical issues, another choice is ginger cookies.
Unfortunately, I've heard that the sea bands don't work for everyone. You might want to bring along some bonine to use if all else fails. My favorite is the candied ginger, which I only nibbled on. Luckily I didn't use enough to go through the irritable bowel problem that Mgram mentioned (bummer!)

Shar
Old January 20th, 2002, 09:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

We had to use Bonine with our youngest son last May. He was almost 10 at the time and still can't swallow pills. The Seabands are too big for his small wrists, but they would probably fit your sons' wrists since they are older. Bonine worked great for him and I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. It took 2 tablets (2 doses) the first night, as the sea was REALLY rough.

The Seabands work great for me. The strange thing is that I sleep really, really deeply when I wear them. I'm not sure if they just work really well or if they were so tight that they cut off my circulation and I was half-dead! Either way, give them a try. :o)