Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 20th, 2002, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Default Don't wait to book air for Alaska! Flight dilemma

Hi,

I am struggling with air to Vancouver right now for my Alaska cruise.

Right now it looks like $575 if I leave at 1:55 pm from Vancouver back home. If I leave at 11:55 am - it is $517. What would you do? RCCL says anything after 10:30 am is fine. I don't know if I believe that or not.

It is $608 if I don't have a 2.5 hour layover in Chicago verses a 1 hour layover going to Vancouver. We are flying in Wednesday for a Saturday cruise.

I checked these flights last month and they were all $475. Wish I had booked back then!

So I have the $575 flight on hold until tomorrow - would you take it? It is one of only 2 flights that leaves in the afternoon that only has 1 connection that I can get back to LNK. Most flights have 2 connections (Seattle and Denver). Staying one more night doesn't help because Sunday is just as busy.

According to United - these flights are filling up quickly . .

Advice?
Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2002, 09:13 PM
sailinglisa

Default Re: Don't wait to book air for Alaska! Flight dile

Theresa - I would take the $575 flights just for the peace of mind. The airport in Vancouver is on the other side of the city from the cruise port and there is no "freeway" to get there - it is through city streets. Also, if you get someone holding up disembarkation, it just makes for less stress to have a later flight. jmho
Old January 20th, 2002, 09:22 PM
flyrod

Am I lucky or what. I've got my tickets already for sept 6th from mpls to seattle and vancouver, then back from anchorage on the 22nd. frequent flyer tickets on northwest. my wife says "see it pays to spend money useing visa". ok. ok.
Old January 20th, 2002, 09:42 PM
Admiral

I tried to use frequent flier miles and they were all "booked up".

I think Sept is a little easier then June/July - but you are very lucky - it is very expesnive from Nebraska.
Old January 20th, 2002, 10:18 PM
Admiral

Theresa....sorry you are having a problem.......but Lisa makes a great point .... there is so much stress in travel right now...the peace of mind would be worth spending the extra $60. Mgram
Old January 21st, 2002, 09:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Angela Z.

Theresa,
I would also pay more for the extra time. When we did RCCL Vision Alaska cruise we were booked on a 10:50am departure from Vancouver. We made it but it involved lots of angst....no sleep the night before because I was sure this wasn;'t going to work out. We were traveling with my inlaws so that added to the angst level. I remember frantically collecting luggage and pretty much running pushing baggage carts and a wheelchair....in the middle of all this my mother in law thought she'd lost her carry on and bellowed my father in laws name in such a volume that I swear the terminal got quiet for just a second. My son was schlepping the bag so all was well....just frantic.
Angela Z.
Old January 21st, 2002, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Angela - that sounds awful!

I booked the 1:55 flight. I think that is safer.
Old January 21st, 2002, 12:26 PM
First Mate

We had the same dilemma from Sacto to Anchorage and back from Vancouver for our southbound HAL cruise the first part of June.
Price a month ago was $400+ but not the best times.Now they want $575 for the best times and $500 for flights that get in at midnight! We tried rates from Reno, SFO, Oakland and all were pretty close.

We could get Southwest into Seattle for $200 round trip but they quotes from Alaska from there to Anchorage, etc, were still over $400.I think you were smart to lock it in if you are coming from east coast. Good luck.
Old January 21st, 2002, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Hi John,

I felt really strange buying air this soon but the more I looked into the situation - the more I realized that there are not that many flights and there are tons of ships in Alaska this summer.

I bought the air through the airline - if the price goes down, I will get a voucher. I pretty much got the flights that I wanted. The times were not great on any of them but I got the better ones of the ones listed.

Theresa