Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2002, 11:38 PM
Libby Child

Default Ocho Rios - What to do?

We'll be going on a cruise on March 15th with a stop in Ocho Rios. It's not one of my favorite ports of call ...... and in the past we've done Dunn's Falls, the plantation tours. We dont want to stay on the ship all day ---- many have mentioned that Mallard's beach is a safe, clean and easy to get to from where the ship docks. Has any one been to Mallard's beach, and what was your impression. Any othre beaches that are good and close by? Thank you very much.
Libby
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2002, 09:45 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Ocho Rios - What to do?

Hi Libby - good to see you. Haven't been to the beaches in Ochos RIos, too many people off the ship on that day and I have it to myself!

Enjoy.,...what ship?
Old February 3rd, 2002, 10:13 AM
Libby Child

Hi - I thought you'd be off to S. America by now! We'll be on the Grandeur of the Seas. Last year our ship stopped at Montego Bay and friends had suggested we try the Wyndem property - Rose Hall Beach Club and Resort It was awesome, and no charge to get in. Trying to dig up something similar close to Ocho Rios, but so far have struck out. Someone had told us Mallards was a decent beach, but I want to make sure it's safe and we're not hassled by vendors the entire time. 6 weeks and counting, so we do have time to find something.
Enjoy your cruise!

Libby
Old February 3rd, 2002, 10:49 AM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to JeffStern

If you've never tried the river rafting on the Martha Brae, or Rio Grande, you might consider it. Jacki and I love it, and have done it several times over the past 12 years.
you ride a 30' bamboo raft through the "jungle," with a Raft Captain poling you lazily along. It's relaxing, romantic and a lot of fun.
Old February 3rd, 2002, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

One stop in Ocho Rios we pre booked a wonderful tour through Port Promotions...www.portpromotions.com.

Had a driver and guide meet us at a pier in a nice clean van, and spent the day showing us their country side. Took great care of us and had fun.

Regards,
Kuki
Old February 4th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Shaw Park Gardens IMO is a worthwhile bontanical garden. Up on the ridge overlooking Ochi and the beautiful water. Check it out.

Back in '99 there was a private beach club with nice facilities called Mahagony Beach. Just 5 miles or so away from the dock.
Old March 13th, 2002, 05:47 AM
First Mate

My wife and I just got back from a stop in Ocho Rios on the Victory. The Jamacia Grand (a Raddison Hotel) is a 10 minute, $3 per person taxi ride or 25 minute walk away. For $10 each we used all the facilities and their beach. The pool was beautiful with 3 waterfalls.