Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 4th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Bobbie(Lady Jag)

Default Uniworld River Cruises HELP!

I don't know what to do now! I was all ready to book a Rhine River Cruise with Uniworld and made the mistake of talking with the TA at AAA this morning. She only had very negative things to say about Uniworld and suggested that we book with General Tours, whom I have never heard of before.

Does anyone have any comments about Uniworld's river cruises? I can't find any websites (other than the tiny one here) that have posts or reviews about Uniworld. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:*)
Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2002, 04:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Uniworld River Cruises HELP!

Uniworld is ok... nothing more. Ask your t/a about Peter Deilmann Cruises. They are far and away the best of that genre... European River Cruises, in my opinion.
Old February 4th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Admiral

Are you looking at this summer or next - just curious.
Old February 4th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Definitely NEXT summer! You know we have the AOS this July! Couldn't possibly cancel that one, now could I?
Old February 4th, 2002, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Didn't know if you were going to "cruise all summer"!

I would love a Russian River Cruise!

Some day. . .
Old February 4th, 2002, 08:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sounds like a plan to me, Theresa. Are you paying? ...........
Old February 4th, 2002, 11:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Bobbie,
Take a look at KD River cruises - web site www.rivercruises.com
We like the looks of them, and they offer some great itineraries.
We are thinking seriously of a Rhine or Moselle trip in the late spring of 2003.
Many of the Uniworld 'ships' are getting a bit long in the tooth (and I'm pointing fingers?) while KD recently merged with another company so they have a lot of different itineraries, and they got the Conde Nast readers choice award in 2001.

Happy shopping!

Dall (and yes, it's MUCH colder up our way, but we'll be nice and toasty warm in 11 more days!)
Old February 4th, 2002, 11:31 PM
Admiral

Bobbie -

I can't even afford airfare to California right now - let alone Europe!

Sounds like some fun research!

Dall - did raise a point. Conde Naste just rated ships - I will look and see if anything good applies. I don't remember if this issue covers that type of ship or not.
Old February 5th, 2002, 12:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Wow, Dall!! I'm surprised to hear it about KD. Their brochure is so basic - very, very simplistic in every means of the word. I like their Deustchland ship (not to be confused with Peter Deilmann's) better than the Swiss Pearl that Uniworld & General Tours uses on the Rhine. I haven't received my Conde Nast for this month yet, but will check it out when it comes. (if it was in this month's issue)

KD's prices are definitely A LOT better than everyone else for the cruise alone, but I worry about having to do so much of our own arrangements. KD won't book airfare and we'd have to buy 2 one-way tickets (LAX to Amsterdam, Zurich to LAX). That worries me a bit, as we are new to Europe. Also, their hotel in Zurich isn't very nice from what I've heard. Could I be wrong?

I love KD's package tour that does London, Paris, Amsterdam and the cruise down the Rhine, but it's a bit pricey when you figure that air isn't included in the price. (Have been asking the company that sells KD in the US questions via e-mail lately.)

If you don't do one of their package tours and do just the cruise, you have to pay for EVERY transfer with them. It's $60 pp from Basel to Zurich and $65 pp from the hotel in Amsterdam to the ship x 4 people = $500 just in transfers alone. I think that's a bit steep.

I'm trying to play the devil's advocate here, can you tell? I want to go with KD, but have a few concerns. Any reassurance or help in sorting out my confusion would be very much appreciated!!!
Old February 5th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Admiral

KD was purchased by Viking River Cruises. You can find the same cruises/same ships in the Viking brochure. There prices include air from US. I haven't done a side by side comparison yet of the two brochures to see if prices etc are otherwise the same.

marc
Old February 5th, 2002, 10:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Marc - According to what I've seen in Viking River Cruises' brochure, they do not offer the same sailings. We need a shorter sailing and Viking only has long ones. Do you think it is 'safe' to go with KD? I like their "kids cruise free" program in July and August!
Old February 6th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Admiral

Bobbie:

I'm on the road so I don't have my brochures. We are looking at the 16 day sailing so that might explain it. When you look in the KD brochure, their 16 day sailings are on Viking Pride and Viking Neptune. I'm sort of surprised that Viking doesn't have all of the KD cruises in their own brochure. From what I've read, KD should be a great experience. One option we were looking at for a shorter cruise was Peter Deilmann. They have a one week Rhein and a one week Passau-Passau that goes to Budapest. We are going in October and Deilmann doesn't operate any of their longer cruises at that time. One reason we are looking at the long cruise is that we want to go through the Main-Danube canal.

good luck, marc
Old February 7th, 2002, 12:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Marc - I was wondering the same thing. You'd think Viking would incorporate all of their KD cruises into their Viking brochure. Maybe they'll do it next year. Viking is mentioned in the KD brochure, right on the front page. They suggest choosing a Viking cruise if you are looking for a longer vacation.

I'd love to do a longer cruise, especially since we'd be coming from so far away, but it's impossible for my husband to be away from work for more than 11 days at a time. In fact, 11 days is 'pushing it'. Your cruise sounds wonderful!

My husband's family was from Bavaria and mine was from Alsace and Switzerland, so this trip will have some sentimental value for us too. Thanks for your opinion about KD. I really appreciate it!