Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 14th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Susie Burke

Default where are the renaissance ships?

Does anyone have the scoop on what will happen to the Renaissance ships? After 2 cruises with them, it became our favorite cruiseline. We loved the size of the ships, the decor, the open dining, the casual dress, and the no smoking/no kids policy. If another cruise line buys or charters these ships to sail I'll be there in a flash.
Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Marti

Default Re: where are the renaissance ships?

Hi Susie -

We have friends that cruised on Renaissance 5 times within 2 years and raved about them. In fact they were booked on a Christmas cruise and had to scramble to find another cruise when Ren went down.

We just returned from the Grand and met 3 couples (not together) that were so disappointed about their collapse. That was their favorite as well.

We were planning a Spain and Med cruise with Ren in 2000, but they changed their itin to more land and less time at sea, so we cruised with Princess instead. They then reverted back to the original itin but by then, it was too late.

I do hope someone would take them. I'd love to cruise on those ships. However, just a few months before they went bankrupt, they had changed some of their policies. They now had some smoking areas and children over 4 (I think) were allowed. Don't know if those changes actually went into effect by that time.
Old February 19th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Susie, that will have to be some "flash" in order for you to get there. The R6 and R7 have been leased to a new group called Imperium Cruises and will be based in Dubai, catering to the local regional market with itineraries will include the Indian Ocean, eastern Africa and Egypt. Never got to travel on Renaissance, but I have to say the ships looked beautiful in the brochures!
Old February 19th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Susie Burke

Dear Ken,
Sailing on a Renaissance ship was like staying at a classy European hotel. They were quite elegant but not stuffy. They seemed to attract a better class of people-maybe it was the no kids policy. They went to such interesting places that other ships don't go to or can't because they are so big. Their food was the best we've ever had, although I was told they used the same catering company as Celebrity. Somehow I don't think women would be very welcome on a cruise in the Arabic countries. However, those would be interesting itineraries. If you see anything about the other ships, let me know. We're off on Majesty of the Seas this weekend for a quickie getaway then on the Norwegian Dream to Scandinavia in August. We chose the Dream because the freestylee dining/casual dress seemed the closest thing to Ren going. I'll probably be disappointed though.

Thanks for the info.

Susie