Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Passenger

Default This may be a dumb question....but....

I see that a lot of you have cruises that are at least a year away, if not more. Everytime I've ever tried to book that far in advance, my TA has always said that the prices for the following year weren't out and so we couldn't book yet. So how do all of you get a booking and a price so far out????? Thanks for enlightening me on this.
Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2002, 04:53 PM
First Mate

Send a message via Yahoo to Chyna
Default Re: This may be a dumb question....but....

Hmmmmm maybe a new TA? The TA's and cruiselines can get you the price.
Old February 18th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Passenger

I've gotten a quote directly from the cruiseline, but it is basically the brochure price and there is no way I'm paying that much! I guess I should maybe hunt for a new TA, but I have to say that when I do get a quote from my current TA, it beats any and all other prices I could find. The only reason I want to book this far in advance is to get the cabin that I want.
Old February 18th, 2002, 05:06 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to SeaFan Send a message via Yahoo to SeaFan

NiteStar there is no such thing as a dumb question. I always book at least a year in advance. We also book far in advance in order to get the cabin we want. My TA has even checked the prices after our booking to make sure the price has not dropped. If the price has decreased then she passes on the discount to us. I think you might want to check with some different agents.
Old February 18th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Carole Bensley

We have always had to book in advance and sometimes more than a year. Perhaps talking to your TA again, if not you might consider another. But be careful, there are some unscrupulous TA's out there.
Go by recommendations!!
Old February 18th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Admiral

We almost always book 12 to 18 months in advance.We have to lock in vacation plans because of vacation scheduling at my wife's job. Rates are always a significant discount to brochure prices and in one or two cases we have gotten a subsequent discount. What will not be available that far out is airfare(especially discounted fares). Maybe that is what your TA is refering to. Once we have booked the cruise, we then worry about the airfare later. By later I mean 6 to 10 months in advance. We no longer take the cruiselines air.Too expensive, no control over itinerary, and the weirdest routing on the face of the earth. We now book a day in advance for our arrival . Last cruise we booked our own fares and stayed in a First Class hotel , including cab fares it was less for that than the cruise line fare (by the way that also included an over night after the cruise as well).
No question is a dumb question . You learn a lot from the experiences of others. My way works well for me, it might not be the way to go for others.
Old February 18th, 2002, 06:43 PM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)

Two times I have booked 18 months in advance with Carnival....just booked Pride for Oct. 2003. And, we do the air just like Bill, going in a day early also helps with any travel delays due to weather or equipment failure.

DeniseZ
Old February 18th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Once you book, your agent should keep an eye out on the rates to make sure that they don't change.
Old February 18th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Gaile

Not much I can add that hasn't already been said, but must reiterate, No such thing as a dumb question. With all of the cruising experience we have available here you are always sure to get answers. If you TA continues to advise that it isn't possible to get rates that far in advance, you might really want to try another agent.

Hope it all works out for you.

Gaile
CM Host Tweety
Old February 18th, 2002, 09:28 PM
Aaron

All the above is accurate! I book 10-12 months out with a TA that monitors rates and in every case, which is hard to believe, I have gotten rate reductions or upgrades, or both! You may contact me for Lori's info if you wish.
Old February 18th, 2002, 11:12 PM
First Mate

We decided in Nov. to do the cruise for Jan. and let our TA, a close relative, choose for us since we were first timers and new nothing about anything. We gave her the time frame and she put us on the Explorer to E. Carib. 1/12-1/19 w/ an outside cabin (no balcony-we just wanted a window), main seating. It was perfect for us. We got a good price and did our own airfare (TA found best deal on internet for us). A mother/daughter at our table decided to go 2 days before sailing and worried about what cabin they would get.Surprise! They got a handicap cabin that was twice as big as ours! Ours was plenty big and we weren't there a whole lot because of excursions and soooo much to do on the ship. We had a fabulous time and plan to go next year on Exp. to W. Carib., but won't book until after we get our basketball schedule--got to go between home games! Happy Cruising!