CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Will I get a refund?????? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/259060-will-i-get-refund.html)

Bobbie(Lady Jag) February 18th, 2002 10:56 PM

Will I get a refund??????

Hi again. I'm hoping someone can answer my question. If we buy our American Airline tickets now and the price goes down between now and the time we fly, can we get a refund? Would we need to buy them directly from American or can we use a third party like Expedia.com?

Thanks for the help! :o)

Theresa February 19th, 2002 12:01 AM

Re: Will I get a refund??????

Bobbie -

If the price is the same between American and Expedia - I would buy it directly from American. It is just "easier" to get "plane vouchers" for the difference if the price goes down.

Technically you can also get them if you go through Expedia also. If you go through Expedia - you will need to go directly to AA to get your refund. Expedia will not issue vouchers.

If you book electronic tickets - you can do this over the phone. They will mail you the voucher. If you book paper tickets - you must go to a ticket counter to get them exchanged.

Your refund is "a travel voucher" good for one year. It is not cash.

Just FYI - I have had much better luck getting vouchers when the price decreases when I book directly with the airline. Expedia will not help you and I have had the run around through the airline. This is not to say you can't do it - but it can be more difficult or piece of cake depending on who you are dealing with on the phone.

Next, when you check prices - you can use websites (Expedia, Orbitz, airline, etc. . ) but note that these prices vary. I have only had luck when the "airline" says that the price goes down, not when Orbitz lists a cheaper price.

Lastly, I have most of the time booked over the phone or at ticket counter. I have often noticed AA's website showing lower fares. If their website shows lower fares but if you call and they quote you higher fares - they often say that "those fares are web fares only and we can't refund you." I have never tried to purchase a web fare and had the web fare go down and then try to get a voucher. I asked an AA rep once how it worked that way and they couldn't tell me.

Lots of iffffs . .. .

Saying this - I booked over the phone a month ago for Vancouver at $575. The price went down to $490 and I have a voucher in the mail to me.

Hope this helps some. I know every situation is different and every airline handles things a little different.

bobbie February 19th, 2002 10:28 AM

Thanks, Theresa! I knew you would know the answers to my questions since you so recently had to deal with this too! I called AA last night and the very unhelpful agent said she couldn't issue any travel vouchers if I bought the tickets online and that the online tickets were a totally separate entity. I thought that was weird. I don't trust this agent, as she had a real attitude. So, I'll call again and ask and trust your information more than anyone's!

Thanks again!

MIKE February 19th, 2002 02:14 PM

I booked a flight on line with A Airlines, Rochester, NY to Fort Lauderdale, for $201. A week and a half later I checked the flight again on a whim. It showed the same flight and time at $111. I thought it was a typo. I called A A they also thought something was wrong, After taking my exact flight info, the nice lady came back with the $111 fare, go figure. I received the voucher for the difference last Saturday in the mail. I was totally surprised. Since I thought the already discounted fare was locked in no matter what.

rob h February 20th, 2002 12:19 AM

you guys are blessed
In Canada, once you have booked your fare except for protection against price increases your fare remains as bought.

Theresa February 20th, 2002 09:51 PM

Rob,

It is a very little known fact that you can get a refund.

And sometimes - airlines make it really tough but it doesn happen!

theresa