Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2002, 12:45 PM
Admiral

Default Best Western Marina Park in Miami: BAD Experience

After reading several positive recommendations about BWMP on this and other cruise message boards, CruiseCam and I booked this hotel for the night before our Grandeur of the Seas cruise. Believe me, that was a real mistake.

The first thing that happened was that we discovered no bell staff available to help us with our luggage from the sidewalk in front of the hotel where the taxi had dropped us off. I stayed outside with the luggage while CruiseCam went inside to find a luggage cart. No luck. They had one (only), but didn't know where either it or their (one) bellman were. I ended up having to make five trips up the handicapped ramp and through the door, leaving our bags in the middle of the lobby. After I registered, a bellman suddenly appeared with the cart (it was stored in a closet off the lobby). He started to take the bags up to the room, telling us to go on ahead, and that he would bring the bags up the freight elevator. I said, "No, I'll come with you." He balked at that, but I insisted, and he finally relented. After he unloaded the bags and received a generous (yes, it really was) tip, he left.

We then changed clothes and went across the street to Bayside, where we ate a small lunch at Bubba Gumps and then met Mgram and Mari, who had driven down from Tampa and Fort Lauderdale to meet us for dinner. SeaFan and Timberhead called us (thank goodness for cell phones) to let us know that they had been delayed in Atlanta, and would be late for dinner.

They finally arrived after the four of us had already started sampling Miami Margaritas. They came straight to the restaurant without checking into the hotel, since they had a confirmed reservation being held with a credit card. After dinner, we went with them back to the hotel, where they discovered that no room was available. No, the hotel still had their confirmed reservation, but had overbooked. What a totally unprofessional example of customer service. They offered to give them a free room at a hotel down the street, and SeaFan and Timberhead had little choice but to take it. They reloaded all of their luggage into the rental van and drove off. When we saw them the next morning, they reported that the "substitute hotel" was a real dump, and was filthy: dirty windows, dirty bedding, etc. Yuk. At least they did get a better breakfast than we did, for the continental breakfast at the BWMP was absolutely horrid. We looked at it and walked out, electing to skip breakfast completely rather than eat that swill.

Now I realize that this is only our opinion, and that others might have had a totally different experience there, but based up our experience, do yourself a favor when in Miami: Stay elsewhere.
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2002, 01:10 PM
Okie/Tex

Default Re: Best Western Marina Park in Miami: BAD Experie

Divetex,

We had basically the same experience eleven days prior to your trip. Definitely not worth the money.

We lost some diamond ear rings and prescription sunglasses (why sunglasses?) sometime between the time we checked into the hotel and our arrival at the Grandeur. Also, the noise level from Bayside is not hindered at all by the windows. The room was a 1950's Best Western and the view of the ships is restricted by the bridge. Can only see the tops of the ships. Oh, and we second your opinion on the continental breakfast. I wondered why they even went to the little trouble that they did.

This is only our personal opinion.

Okie
Old February 22nd, 2002, 04:07 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to SeaFan Send a message via Yahoo to SeaFan

Here is the link to our story over at cruise gripes about the hotel.

<a href="http://www.cruise-forums.com/read.php?f=41&i=2698&t=2698">
Old February 22nd, 2002, 04:10 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to SeaFan Send a message via Yahoo to SeaFan

<a href="http://www.cruise-forums.com/read.php?f=41&i=2698&t=2698">

Well lets try this again!
Old February 22nd, 2002, 06:56 PM
Admiral

A couple of comments:

All hotels overbook . . . .I used to travel a lot with another job and would often get in very late and have my hotel room (which was guaranteed with a credit card) gone due to overbooking. The policy is to book you at another hotel and not charge your credit card for your stay. The bad news is that if your hotel is overbooked, chances are others are also and where they put you is not always desirable. This has happened several times to me . . .. and has happened at very fine hotels. All hotels seem to do this. It shouldn't happen - Kathy and TH. What a terrible experience.

Secondly - Divetex, I understand about the bellstaff and cart. We arrived once at Amerisuties in FLL and there was no cart. Then they gave me a smoking room so I carried all of our luggage up to our room only to find that I couldn't breathe in the room. Then I carried it down and asked for another room. They gave me another room and I carried all of our luggage up to that room only to find 1 bed, I carried it all the way down to the desk and demanded another room! This was the first of many bad experiences at Amerisuites. Will not stay there again!

Lastly - I stayed at a fine hotel in Miami. Intercontinental at Bayside on Choppin. I hear it can be pricey at times but I stayed there for $109/night which included 2 breakfasts. The breakfast buffet outshines any cruise buffet I have eaten at - fresh squeezed orange juice, several chefs available for egg orders, etc . . .I hear this hotel can be pricey at times but I know several who have also gotten excellent rates here. Half the rooms have an excellent view of the cruise ships and it is a short 5 minute walk to Bayside. Excellent hotel and excellent location!

Dive - thanks for advice on Best Western. I almost stayed there and my ta convinced me to try Intercontinental.
Old February 22nd, 2002, 11:43 PM
SeaFan & Timberhead

Thanks Theresa for the information on the Intercontinental we will try that the next time for sure.
Old February 23rd, 2002, 07:47 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to rocster

Wow, sorry Divetex, we stayed there before our Imagination cruise, and while thay said the floor we had confirmed (9th floor for $89+$10 for parking) did not have any available rooms. I had a problem with that, but they put us on the 8th fl in a, what they call a Jr. Suite, (just a larger two bed room) for $59 total. I agreed. I had the same problem with the cart, they couldn't find it, it showed up in a closet by the front desk.
On the eighth floor we had a great view of the port and the ships, (see attached picture), but the bridge did not block our view, the teminal buildings did.
Their breakfast buffet was very good also, about as good as on Carnival but more selections and better juice.
Over all I would have given the hotel 2.5 stars, because it was looking a little dated, but the hotel staff left a lot to be desired.
I'm sorry, you must have caught them at a bad time. I will probably use them if I go out of Miami again, if the price is right.

Old February 24th, 2002, 02:36 PM
cruz-b4

Just back from 11 day Grandeur and we stayed night before at this hotel.When our cab drove up they came outside to meet us with a dolly for our luggage.Check in was prompt and the room facing Bayside on the 6th floor was very nice and clean.We could see the ships and yes there is a bridge but it was very pretty at night as it had blue lights on it.We got up early the next morning and watched other ships come in and took many pictures and had no problem at all viewing all the happenings.You can hear some street noise but was not enough to keep us awake at night.Also this is a party spot because of Bayside so you can expect party people staying at the hotel to come and go at all hours.Breakfast was great for us(it was FREE and no dishes to wash).Closest hotel to the port and after staying there would not hesitate to stay there again for a night before a cruise and Bayside is a great place to spend extra time.