Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2002, 09:15 PM
First Mate

Default First Time Cruiser - may be repost, I'm sorry

Hi Everyone,

First I want to thank you all for all the information you have provided me over the past few weeks! It's been invaluable. I'm brave enough to post now and am posting in several sections of the boards - probably being redundant But, here goes....

I'll be cruising for the first time with my husband aboard the Spirit on 3/27 8 day southern carib itinerary. I am so excited I could burst. As I mentioned in other posts... we had our hearts set on other cruise lines but our TA had no problem talking us into this particular cruise based on our ages (mid 30's) and the things we like to do. I said I prefered a lively atmosphere and out came the Carnival stuff!

I don't read as much about the Spirit as the newer Pride or the other Carnival ships. Any ideas why? I've basically learned to ignore the Carnival bashers as I intend to make my own good time!

When we booked I didn't realized we'd be at sea over Easter Sunday - docked in Barbados to boot - and I understand most things will be closed. No problem, find me a beach and I will be happy!

I'm leaving 3 teens behind for 2 weeks. I understand the cost of calling home from the ship is steep! It's going to be so strange to not be in constant contact like I've been able to be in the past.

Anyone have opinions or experience on the Spirit? Any advice? We booked cabin 8180 cat 8I. Midship , on the top deck of rooms. Any comments on that cabin choice?

I've never been this excited about a vacation before and this place has been a great source of information for me. I thank you all.

Counting the days...
deja
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2002, 09:35 PM
Admiral

Default Re: First Time Cruiser - may be repost, I'm sorry

Deja, welcome to this board. I know very little about Carnival, but with a great attitude like yours, you could have a blast on a cattle boat! After all, you'll be essentially teen-free for a couple of weeks!
Instead of phoning home, why not set yourself up with a free email account on yahoo. hotmail, etc. They you can email the kids, and they can email you...costs LOTS less than calling, especially when you go online in port. Just look for an internet cafe once you go ashore.

Have a great Easter cruise!
Old March 3rd, 2002, 11:15 PM
First Mate

Default Re: First Time Cruiser

Divetex,

Thanks for the reply!! a cattle boat... strap on the feed bag and I'm good to go!!

I do intend to email them from the ship and I'll call them from port. My guess is that I'll cave in and call from the ship at least once- lol.

Teen free for 2 weeks!!! Pray for my house! Thankfully it's not their spring break week so the parties may not be so constant? The house better be left spotless!

Anyway... thanks for the warm welcome!!

Strapping on the feed-bag and counting down the days...
deja
Old March 4th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Admiral

Welcome aboard Deja! Join in the fun. Your excitement over your first cruise is contagious.....this is a disease we all welcome!

Mgram
Old March 4th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Mary Lou

Deja:
Welcome to Cruisemates. We are very glad you found us and that you are posting on the boards. I'm not sure why you don't see more about Carnival's Spirit on the boards. But, I do know that Tweety (our Wednesday night chat host) sailed on Spirit and had a wonderful time. As Divetex said, with your attitude you won't have any problems at all. My biggest piece of advise for first time cruisers is to be flexible and go with the flow. You sound like that is what you are going to do. From what I hear, the ship is beautiful.
As far as keeping in touch with the kids, the internet cafes are a great way of doing just that. They are very reasonable in port.
Now how about joining us in the chatroom weeknights beginning at 9 p.m. Eastern time. We would love to share your enthusiam and excitement for your first cruise.
Mary Lou
Thursday Chat Host
Old March 4th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Deja,
To Cruisemates!

I'm sure you will have a great cruise and you may also want to check out internet cafe's in the ports you will be visiting. They are usually very close to the piers and you can't miss them, much cheaper than phone calls and using the computers onboard.

Have Fun!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old March 4th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)

Hi Deja and welcome aboard! I have not sailed Spirit yet (will in October in Hawaii) but I have cruised Carnival 4x and I have nothing but good to say about Carnival....good food, great entertainment, great service. I have also sailed Celebrity and Premier. Looks like you have a great cabin location.

I have sailed leaving 3 teens behind, well, actually 2 teens and one 21 year old....my advise it NOT call home until you arrive back at port at cruise end. E-mail everyday is a great way to keep in touch, be sure they have the emergency numbers if there is a problem that has to be addressed immediately, but go and relax! It's funny....my girls are now 22, 26 and 28 and I am still finding out tibits of the adventures they had while we were gone....the house was spotless when we got home thought, and they made a nice "Welcome Home" banner.

You sound like you are addicted already! Let me know all about the Spirit when you return!

DeniseZ
Old March 4th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to SeaFan Send a message via Yahoo to SeaFan

Deja, let me add my welcome aboard!! Everyone else is correct with your attitude you well have a great time and come back addicted like the rest of us. Denise advice is correct don't call home just send e-mails, unless it is an emergency with the teens you don't want to know what is going on until you get back. <G> Post often and please do join us in the chat room, which is a great time.
Old March 4th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Ahoy and WELCOME aboard DJ!

Glad you decided to start posting and "meet" everyone. It's a fun gang here, and even after your cruise you'll be back here often to "talk" to your new friends.

Regards,
Kuki
Old March 4th, 2002, 02:33 PM
First Mate

Thank you so much everyone for the warm welcome!! I'd love to come and chat!

I think this will finally be the vacation adventure I've been dreaming about forever! I already know that cruising is going to become my vacation of choice. Now that the kids are old enough to be on their own I plan to cruise twice a year.

Maybe.... some day soon, if they are *really* nice to me, I will plan a family cruise. <G>

Does this sound weird? I'm not as interested in the port exploring (except for maybe a little shopping) as I am the ship experience!

I hope to meet some fun people to have some laughs with and have the best time ever.

I'm an addict in the making... and I thank you all for feeding my excitement!

still counting down the days ...
deja
Old March 4th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Admiral

Hi Deja,

If you have a cell phone - check to see if you can get a signal at any of the ports. I have used my cell phone (Sprint PCS) at half the ports I have stopped at. I am normally charged about $1.00/per minute roaming but it sure is cheaper then the ship's phone.

Also - look at buying a phone card from Sam's Club or Costco. Sam's Club uses AT&T and I have had great luck using that at several countries. You may want to try to use these at public phones off of the pier when you dock.

My first cruise was on Carnival and I loved it.

Theresa
Old March 6th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Seabreez

Hi Deja and welcome!! You are going to have a great cruise
vacation. First cruise was in 4/94 and I knew I was hooked
when I looked at the ship for the last time and cried. #11 is
coming next month on Carnival and they have all been fun.
Pat
Old March 10th, 2002, 12:57 PM
JanetMc

We just got back from a trip on the Pride yesterday and we were in cabin 8182-Was a really nice one, near the main elevators and had a nice balcony