Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Admiral

Default Kuki - Prepare the Guest Room!

OMG! I just opened up my Sunday Arizona Republic, and on the front page of the travel section is the most beautiful picture of Calgary and the Canadian Rockies. It took my breath away. Kuki, get that guest room spiffed up, because I'm on my way!
jennifer
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Kuki - Prepare the Guest Room!

Jennifer, don't be led astray by newspaper-embellished photos. There are no mountains in Canada. The Canadian Rockies? That's a surfing team in Regina. Here's the REAL Calgary.
(See below)
Not really, Jennifer. They really ARE beautiful. I'm just jealous that we don't have any mountains like those in Texas. :o)
Old March 10th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Jenn,
I think Tom's picture above must be MooseJaw, Saskatchewan (I considered moving there just because of the name, but came to my senses).

Calgary is a BEAUTIFUL city.... in the foothills of the Canadian Rockies.. about a 45 minute drive from my front door.
For anyone planning an Alaska cruise, my top recommendation is to fly into Calgary, take the Rocky Mountaineer Train through to Vancouver, then drive back to Calgary post cruise with stops in Jasper Park,Banff and Lake Louise.

Regards,
Kuki... who loves visitors to stop in
Old March 10th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Admiral

You do live in a beautiful, cosmopolitan city with breathtaking scenery nearby, Mr. Moose. No argument here.
Old March 10th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I do have kind of a Kuki story to tell about receiving visitors in Calgary.
Guess it was about 3 1/2 years ago we "met" a fellow from Las Vegas, online in cruise chat. Over a short period it became obvious that we had similar "warped minds". I innoncently said, you should come visit us some time.
The next day I got a call saying they were on their way, and I perhaps foolishly invited them to stay in our home. He told me they had a motor home and would be driving it up, and I said that would be perfect... If we liked them they could stay inside, if not they could sleep on the street.

During their entire drive up, his wife was yelling at him... "You're taking me to a foreign country to go see complete strangers!!" My wife was yelling at me... "You've invited complete strangers to come stay with us!!!"

They were stopped at the border and asked what the purpose of their trip to Canada was. She answered .. to visit friends.. not expecting the next question.. Who are they? She couldn't answer. The border guards then proceeded to search the motor home. , and a true story.

The Get Lei'd Cruise in May will be our 3rd cruise together !!

Regards,
Kuki
Old March 10th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Admiral

Calgary is a great city, and Banff is certainly God's country. I hope one day to spend an entire summer in the area. My one visit to Lake Louise was waaay too short.

I too, Kuki, have an interesting Candaian border story. On a long road trip to Canada from Texas, we stopped to pick up our friends that had transplanted themselves from Texas to Montana. Making our way through all the national parks in the area, we finally headed into Canada. When asked by the border officials what we had in the van, we thought it prudent to declare that we did have a few Sierra Nevada Pale Ales swimming around in the little ice chest with the apples. I guess we didn't look honest, because we were pulled over and inspected. Every nook and cranny of our vehicle and our luggage was inspected. It took an hour or two as it was a conversion van.

Merman, politely asked when they were finally finished, "Why us? Were we just the random 10th car or something?" They replied, just as politely, "No random check, you had Texas plates. Everyone knows about those gun-packing Texans"!
Old March 10th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Harvestmoon

If you want to see some beautiful ranchland, take highway 22 south of Calgary through Longview to the pass. The beef jerky place in Longview, is scrumptious!!.

Regards.