CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Humor At The Dinner Table (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/259325-humor-dinner-table.html)

HannaS77 March 13th, 2002 05:21 PM

Humor At The Dinner Table

Here is a question you may want to ask your fellow passengers during dinner. Is the tomato a fruit a vegetable.? The Romans called the tomato the "love fruit". If someone answers a fruit the answer can be correct according the Webster International 3rd Edition Dictionary. If someone answers a tomato is a vegetable they can be correct since in an ancient case of Nix vs. Hedden, the United States Supreme Court ruled the tomato was a vegetable.

Why would the Supreme Court get involved with such a ruling ? This decision was handed down in the late 1880's when various states taxed fruit coming into their state from other states but vegetables were not taxed. The Supreme Court ruled it was illegal to tax vegetables and the tomato was a vegetable.

I have to take this opportunity to complain that I dislike the new format. At my age it is difficult enough for me to see what I am writing, but this small print ?.
HannaS77

Rix March 13th, 2002 05:31 PM

Re: Humor At The Dinner Table

Hanna;

Dont worry bout it this is just a temporrary phase as it gets upgraded. And maybe a tomato is really a fruitgable and blend of both. Rix :-)

Winner March 13th, 2002 05:48 PM

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a hoot! Tomatoes are fruit according to horticulturists, who know a little more on the subject than our Supremes. They are native to the Andes and are classified as Lycopersicon esculentum (aren't you glad the subject arose?)

Kuki March 13th, 2002 06:54 PM

Sorry Hanna .. the Tomato question and a discussion of a court ruling on it don't quite make if for tickling my funny bone. I must just be KUKI.

pamda March 13th, 2002 08:01 PM

Oh, please ....

There are plenty of more humorous things to bring up at the dinner table. One example would be ...

Taxonomy of the Moose

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kingdom: Animalia

Phylum: Chordata

Class: Mammalia

Order: Artiodactyla

Family: Cervidae

Genus: Alces

Species: Alces

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I, for one, don't care a whole lot about the tomato question and I doubt that tablemates would care, either. Or find it humorous.

Just as a point of information, Delaware HB 371 (introduced in 1987 by Speaker of the House) put forth the notion that cherry tomatoes, because of their leaping ability, should be banned from all banquet dinners.

Now, THAT'S funny. But you had to know the Speaker to know why it was funny. And I seriously doubt that any of my tablemates knew the Speaker. May he rest in absolute peace.

JeffStern March 13th, 2002 08:44 PM

If you want to really have fun, check out the origin of the Ceasar Salad! Hint: Forget Rome and check out Mexico......

pamda March 13th, 2002 09:05 PM

Re: Re: Humor At The Dinner Table

And where is the place of origin of the Pina Colada ????

Rix March 13th, 2002 11:25 PM

I alway used to say "Take Ceaser out of the Salad"

Ken March 14th, 2002 02:02 AM

Pamda, according to an article found on CruiseMates (a Usually Reliable Source) published September of 2000, it was Ricardo Gracia of Barcelona, Spain who invented the Pina Colada in 1951 at the Caribe Hilton in San Juan. Mind you, I didn't know that, it just showed up when I plugged in Pina Colada +original into a Google search, and the Cruisemates link showed as the first web page match!

The Caesar Salad is attributed to Caesar Cardini and was invented in 1924 in Tijuana when Senor Cardini wanted to take some of the load off a busy kitchen by having the prep work done tableside. Controversy still reigns, but purists say no anchovy was present in the original recipe.

Now, who invented the Lima bean... and why???

Rix March 14th, 2002 05:44 PM

Plant Genome Databases
Plant genome databases have been designed for a number of important crop species. The goal of these databases is to provide "one-stop shopping" for information that is relevant to a species or group of species. Examples of these databases include GrainGenes (for cereal groups), SolGenes (for Solanaceous species), and SoyBase (for Glycine species). Information that is contained in these databases include molecular mapping data, germplasm information, trait studies, identified quantitative trait loci, pathogen descriptions, relevant publication citations, images pertaining to all aspects of the crop, and colleague addresses. These efforts are each funded by the USDA Plant Genome project.

BeanGenes
BeanGenes is a plant genome data base which currently contains information relevant to Phaseolus and Vigna species. The BeanGenes project was funded by the USDA/ARS Plant Genome project through the SoyBase project administered by Dr. Randy Shoemaker (USDA/ARS, Ames, Iowa). The hardware component of BeanGenes is a computer containing a Pentium P90 processor, 64 mByte RAM, 2 GByte hard drive, and 8 GByte tape backup drive. The machine is running under the Linux operating system. Linux is a Unix-based operating system designed to run on machines using the Intel X86 series of processors. Internet domain name of the machine is beangenes.cws.ndsu.nodak.edu. The IP address of the machine is 134.129.117.50.
Currently, all of the BeanGenes information is stored in the ACeDB software application. This is the most frequently used plant genome database application. Richard Durbin (MRC, England) and Jean Thierry-Mieg (CNRS, France) initially developed ACeDB (an acronym for A C. elegans database) to archive information about Caenorhabditis elegans. The database runs under the X-Windows environment on machines utilizing some flavor of a UNIX operating system. To access the database as an X-window application, the user must login on the server. Alternatively, a user can obtain a copy of the database and install it on a local X-Windows server. Remote users will need to access the database from a computer running a form of X-Windows. The database can be accessed from any personal computer or MacIntosh computer which has X-Windows emulation software.

Accessing BeanGenes
The BeanGenes database can be accessed in three manners. For those users with X-Windows capability, a login on the BeanGenes server can be established. If you would like to have an account on the BeanGenes machine contact Phil McClean at mcclean@beangenes.cws.ndsu.nodak.edu and an account will be established.
Two other methods of accessing the database are available that do not require X-Windows capability. The ACeDB form of BeanGenes can be searched on the Agricultural Genome World Wide Web Server at URL http://probe.nalusda.gov:8300/. This WWW site can be accessed by such client software as Mosaic and Netscape. Once the site is reached, find the BeanGenes entry and the database can be navigated using standard point-and-click techniques. The database is also accessible using the Gopher application. The gopher address is probe.nalusda.gov. When the database is accessed via Gopher, the user will able to search for information using the WAIS (Wide Area Information Search) application.

Ken March 15th, 2002 12:25 AM

That still doesn't explain why they thought it was a good idea.