Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2002, 07:27 PM
First Mate

Default jToday's poll: Your closest call on missing your ship in por

Mine: Progresso... they put you on these buses into town. We spent the day at the beach with the kids, had margos (okay a couple) etc, then went to find the bus. My husband and his mom went shopping while my mom and I took the kids back. We left the resturant at 3:00 for a 3:30 reboard time deadline. We only made it back in time as a very nice man took a group of us ACROSS the street from the stop, flagged down the bus and put us and several other slackers on the bus in the OUTGOING direction. (We are such cattle all standing there waiting for the bus in the same location where it dropped us off). My husband/ mother-in-law only made it back because a bossy lady told their driver to get going... NOW! She said," The other slackers are on their own. Now move it". That lady is my idol as my husband was number 5 of 11 not yet on board as 3:35 p.m.. Note: Two lucky people missed the previous days port in Cozumel, though were able to reboard in Progesso. Tooooo much Carlos and Charlies I guess. Any other stories, or are you all "good little cruisers"??????!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2002, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: jToday's poll: Your closest call on missing your ship in

Closest for me was Feb 2001 on the Millennium in Cozumel.......are you there Angelpugs?? Angelpug (Jamie), her sister-in-law and cousin (Melissa and Kim), myself, Heatherbc, Carole and Johnny Bensley, Lyn and Dan and their kids were at Chankanab park. Kim, Heather, Carole, Lyn and her daughter and I were doing the dolphin swim - Jamie booked this on line for us and we got the last swim of the day - 4:00pm. We thought, great! Ship doesn't leave til 7:00 pm we have plenty of time to do the swim and get back to the ship....WRONG!!! The ship left at 7:00pm ships time, not Cozumel time - 4:00 on Cozumel equaled 5:00 on the ship! Well, we finished the swim, bought the videos and photos and in groups ran to get taxi's back to the ship...talk about a hair raising ride. We were telling each other that the first ones back would make sure the ship waited for those who were behind us - we even promised to lay down across the gangway if we had to. Heather and I were the first ones back, followed by Carole and Johnny - this was about 6:35 (supposed to be back on board at 6:30) - the last of the group got back to the ship at 6:45. The officers at the gangway I think were getting a little bit of a kick out of us yelling out "hurry up" as we saw someone from our group running to the ship. We all made it back and we were able to laugh about it once we were back on board.

Old March 24th, 2002, 08:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Lisa!

Oh My GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll NEVER forget it!!!! TOO Close! But at least I was with a Great group, and we all stuck together!! Wish I would have remembered to take pictures as we all were running onboard!!!!!!!!!!

Take Care!
Jaime
Old March 24th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Miss the ship? MOI? Get real! Not hardly, not being married to Ms. Paranoia like I am. Nope. Not even close. Twice, I've had to be almost poured back onto the ship in Cozumel, but we had plenty (so I'm told) of time before sailing. Nope. Not me.......not yet, anyway!
Old March 24th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Admiral

Default Re: jToday's poll:

Yes, Lisa! That was quite a ride. I told the Taxi driver to drive as fast as he could and HE DID! Thought we would die on the road, but he got us there in time!
We didn't have time to dress for dinner that night so we sought out alternative food.
Almost didn't get any as they wanted reservations. We waited a while and they finally gave us a table.
Don't EVER want to repeat that experience (being late) again!

Old March 24th, 2002, 08:50 PM
Admiral

On the Carnival Pride, in Belize, on New Year's Day 2002, we were on the very last tender back with all the ship's security people, etc. Apparantly there were 2 people who DIDN'T make it back. We waited a long time for them. Security knew they weren't back yet because they had rented a car and hadn't turned it in yet. Anyway, we waited quite a while, but finally they told the tender driver to head for the ship, we couldn't wait any longer. We never did hear who they were or what happened to them. We asked around the ship, and no one knew anything, and the purser's desk played dumb. We were sure glad that we were on a ship's tour when we realized we were running so late, because we knew we'd be OK. Apparently, since it was New Year's Day, there was a bicycle race which blocked off the road from Altun Ha to Belize City, so the bus that picked us up from the river adventure and took us to the ruins was running late, which made us late, which.....well, you get the idea. But we made it back with no problems.
Old March 24th, 2002, 09:35 PM
First Mate

Only twice in Coz Tom? I bet one of those times was the same day as Lisa and her group! I think the only reason our group made it back rather than looking for more 'ritas was that Cruzship didn't want to miss dinner and dessert

Doug
Old March 24th, 2002, 09:58 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall

Doug!!!! I seem to remember Divetex feeling pretty good that night........

Old March 25th, 2002, 04:37 AM
Admiral

Oh, I did . . . . . I really did.
Old March 25th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: jToday's poll: Your closest call on missing your shi

Having cruised only four times thus far....I've not come close to missing the ship (although I've been acused of "Missing the Boat" in my everyday life, but that is a different story!) I am too paranoid to miss the ship. Not much of a sense of adventure when it comes to that.....and I hope to keep it that way, .

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old March 25th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Admiral

Location: Locust Grove VA (20 miles West of Fredericksburg VA)

Our very first cruise on the Big Red Boat.....didn't know about "coming in a day early". TA did our air but had us leaving in afternoon. It was a mad rush from the Airport in Orlando to the port We made it with about 15 minutes to spare. Since then, we go in at least a day early!

Old March 25th, 2002, 06:14 AM
Passenger

Barbados:

WE were on our way back and stopped in Diamonds International to browse. Saw a ring that we liked but it had to be sized. The job took 45 minutes longer than it should have and we had to run to catch the ship. They had removed part of the hand rails already by the time we reached the ship. Greeat ring though.

90 days to the Majesty of the Seas
Old March 25th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Admiral

Nope....not me....I am a close friend of Ms. Paranoia......Mrs. Fearful. I am ALWAYS back early!

Old March 25th, 2002, 07:38 AM
Passenger

kym,
glad you're back, hope you had a great time. email me when you get a chance and tell me all about it. i've been looking forward to hearing all about the diving and how the kids enjoyed camp carnival

glad everyone in your group made it back on the ship on time!
mindy
Old March 25th, 2002, 08:33 AM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to SeaFan Send a message via Yahoo to SeaFan

Well I too am a friend of Ms. Paranoia and Mrs. Fearful, called Mrs. Frighten!! I have not even had a close call except for the time we were boarding Enchantment of the Seas to start our cruise. We booked our own air arrangements for our Sept. cruise. I did not think that we needed to go in a day early do to weather as it was Sept. Well the weather in Cincinnati has made me rethink that idea. We woke up the morning of our cruise totally fogged in. We made it to the airport and on the plane to have the flight attendant take us back off the plane telling us that our flight was cancelled. It was good thing that we had an early flight because by the time it was all done we had to fly from Cincinnati to Houston and then to Ft. Lauderdale. We did make the ship only because they were holding it for other delayed flights. We were supposed to be in Ft. Lauderdale at 11:30 that morning, we did not land until 4:00. Now I don't even book a cruise that I don't arrive a day early no matter what time of year it is.

Old March 25th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Admiral

I remember that gang on Coz !!!

I'm downright compulsive when it comes to The Giant Tote Bag and its contents.

The passports go in at least two weeks before departure. (I frequently visit them in their cubbyhole and caress them when we don't have something too soon ...)

And it was on that very cruise that I FORGOT the documents.

I was planning to go to SeaTrade after we returned from the cruise. Queeg wanted to take a look at my ticketing. (Why? I dunno.) Well, Queeg did not return the passports and documents to the GTB and I didn't look to make sure. After all, they are ALWAYS there.

Got to the airport, stood on the line. Opened the GTB to produce tix, passports, etc. YIKES !!!

Queeg took off at a run to drive home (good thing we'd decided to drive rather than a shuttle) and grab them. Of course we were going to miss the place (non-stop) but we were going in a day early, so it was OK. So here I was, sitting on a pile of luggage that I could not leavel (those pesky regulations) and DYING for a cup of coffee. Finally a nice guy came to my aid.

The good news was that the plane was delayed and we made it with about 30 seconds to spare. The other passengers couln't quite figure out why we were so happy.

Old March 25th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Well I wouldn't want anyone to think you ladies had an all girls club going, cuz Merman, I mean Mr. EARLYBIRD, most definitely belongs with YOU! There is never cause for concern, if you're ALWAYS as EARLY as he is. Supposed to be back on the ship at 5? Well, let's plan on 3! No, better throw in an extra 30 minutes to allow for...traffic?

Can't tell you the times he's been waiting for me at the gangway, tapping his foot and checking the watch! Geez, the horn has only blasted once! lol On the way back from a morning dive in Cayman, I spotted a deal (yeah right) on some Tanzenite earrings. Well, didn't bring enough $$ ashore for that, did not plan on shopping. Well "they" kept calling to me as I made my way to the ship, on board the tender. I'm going back I said, after lunch. No, you won't have time, said Mr. Earlybird, lunch or earrings. The jewelry won. And I "took" lunch with me on the tender.

I was on a sailing once where a couple did miss the ship, due to C & C's in Coz. No cash, no cc, no change of clothes....they had to fly to the next island 2 days later to pick up the ship.
Old March 25th, 2002, 06:46 PM
First Mate

I am a little tardy with replying to this one. BUT, I do remember the day vividly !!

We were cutting it a little fine, that is for sure !!

Jake wasn't with us, cause that was the same day that Seattle had the Earthquake and he wanted to get on the Internet and check what if anything was happening here.

Sooooooo, he was getting a tad concerned too !! :-)))
Old March 25th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Aw Heather...we got you back on time!! lol

Old March 26th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Cruise Maniac

On our first cruise 4 years ago, my husband and I decided to go to a "remote" beach in Antigua. The taxi driver promised us he would be back at 3pm, ship was due to sail at 5pm. Well, needless to say he didn't show. We started walking, no taxi's in sight. We thought sure we would miss the boat. Finally a school bus rounded the bend and we flagged him down and we took the ride back into town with a bus full of elementary school kids. Will never forget those friendly little faces. That was our favorite port!
Old March 26th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Admiral

What a sweet story, Barb !!!

One thing to remember ... make a deal with the taxi driver that you will be there waiting for him at X time and you will ONLY pay him when he delivers you back to the ship.

Old March 26th, 2002, 06:51 PM
susancruzs

I'm on time obsessive when I cruise EXCEPT for my 96 Alaska cruise on the little Song of Norway. It was a positioning cruise, not a full ship so it was a great atmosphere! Once we got to Alaska, another woman and I were always close to the last ones in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, etc. We were the first cruise of the season, only game in town! We'd be running to the ship, the captain would be sounding the horn, everyone could see us coming, it got to be comical. We'd try out a local bar in every town, get to talking then we'd hear the horn! Oh, one more of those Raineer Beers!!! By the end of the cruise, they were sounding the horn even if we had a half hour to go! This cruise goes down as the best crew, great group of passengers and I haven't been back. I don't want to be disappointed because it was so special. Once the Norwegian captain found out I was a Carlson (as in Swedish), always late, it was fun. His wife was on board, she was with us in one of the bars one of the times when we were sort of late, all in all, being late was never so fun!!!