Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 26th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Default OK, I give up

I've yet to figure out this message board. I reply to a message, it puts the time (don't know why central) on the thread of my reply, and then sticks the thread back in with the older messages that haven't had a reply for a while. What's going on? Shouldn't a new reply with an updated "last post" time be with the newer messages?

marc
Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2002, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: OK, I give up

No, it puts your reply on the post you answer and they stay in order of the original post.
As for the central time, that is because the board is located in central time.
Some boards use the "go to the top" method but not very many.
Welcome to the CruiseMates family. Keep posting and have fun!

Old March 26th, 2002, 08:35 PM
Admiral

I agree they stay in the order of original post....that is what I have a problem with. Other message boards order them by last post, why can't CM? For example, let's assume that I ask a question, place it on the board, people post replies but the one expert who is uniquely qualified to answer the question is off taking a two week cruise. When he returns, that question is waaaaay back in the boards (except for Radisson board where it would remain on front page for six months :-)) and he never sees it even if someone had posted a reply that day.

I know its a small thing....just some days, small things get to me.

marc
Old March 26th, 2002, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Hi Marc,

Carole nailed it to a "T". Older messages stay put but will give the newest date of reply. New messages will be at the top. And as Carole said the server board is located in central time. It takes time for all of us to react to change. The board is still be updated so the glitches are not truly worked out.

Old March 26th, 2002, 08:40 PM
First Mate

Marc, if you don't get an answer in a day or two, post your message again to keep it on the top...........there is always a way around every problem! Just be glad the boards exist, I have gleaned quite a bit of miscellaneous info from them. Welcome!!
Old March 26th, 2002, 08:41 PM
Admiral

Default More Importantly

I posted a question weeks ago, the right expert (e.g., returned from ship I was questioning about) gets home and responds, and I never see it (unless I want to have countless emails sent to me).

sorry,

marc

PS I will get off soap box and sit down
Old March 26th, 2002, 08:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Actually, I've found the boards where the entire thread is "dragged to the top" if there is a new post in the thread seem to lose their purpose in at least 50% of the cases. People will post and say nothing, just to "drag" the entire thread to the top.

At least here, if you see a post on top, you know it's new. Plus the time/date notation of last post in a thread is fairly easy to follow.

And of course there is the option of clicking on the e-mail replies box, and having any replies to your post delivered to your mail box, no matter when they're made.

PLUS on CM you have the option of setting the boards to read in either "flat view " or "threaded view" . In "threaded view" you see not only the time and date of the post, but the author as well. You can then read the individual reply without having to scroll through all the posts.... if that's your choice!

I think different boards softwear have their strenghts and weaknesses. I find ours very easy to use.. but then I've had lots of practice <G>