Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 30th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Default UK's Queen Mother

Very sad news from the UK. Britian's most loved and revered Queen Elizabeth I died this afternoon at 3:15pm GMT in her sleep. She was 101 years old and represented what the Royal Family should have been. My heartfelt sympathy to all of our Brit friends.
Jim

Old March 30th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Default Re: UK's Queen Mother

Sad news. I didn't realize she was 101 - what a loooong life.
Old March 30th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

I didn't hear this. Very sad news,

However just to clarify a point, she wasn't Queen Elizabeth the first, She was the wife of King George (I think the sixth???) When he died her daughter Elizabeth became Queen E. the second and she then became known as the Queen Mother.
Old March 30th, 2002, 01:43 PM
Admiral

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page1.asp
This is the page to go to for information including the following.

Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother is the mother of Queen Elizabeth II, the present British sovereign, and the widow of the late King George VI. She was born the Honourable Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon on 4 August 1900 (daughter of Lord Glamis, later 14th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne) and spent her early childhood at St Paul's Waldenbury in Hertfordshire, north of the capital. This was the country home of her parents. The Bowes-Lyon family is descended from the Royal House of Scotland. One of The Queen Mother's 14th-century ancestors became Thane of Glamis, home of Macbeth 300 years before, and Glamis Castle is the family seat.
Old March 30th, 2002, 01:47 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

May she rest in peace - what a charming and spirited lady she was.

Old March 30th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Godspeed to Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon. She never expected to be Queen.

This is paraphrased from what she said when it was asked if she ought not take the Princesses away from London during the bombings in WWII.

"The children won't go without me, I won't go without the King, and the King won't go."

The lady was such a hoot, and such a lady in the process. Her hats and her famous smile, always with a sense of deviltry, will be missed.

One of the photos I most enjoy was taken in Knightsbridge, just across the street from The Great Temple Of Consumer Worship, Harrod's. It's a small shop with the Royal Warrant next to the door.

"Corsetiers to Elizabeth, the Queen Mother." (I think that's close to right.) Somehow it tickled me so totally to know who supplied her undies that I had to have a photo. I also have a photo of the coffee guys who supply Prince Charles.

Might I be a slight Anglophile with a weird sense of humor?

The old gal always seemed so "just right" to me. She wore her royalty so easily. And what Wallis Simpson would have given to be Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon !!!

Old March 31st, 2002, 11:26 AM
First Mate

I didn't read it until this morning (Sunday). Very sad, though, may I live to be a healthy 101! God Save The Queen!

Old April 2nd, 2002, 01:11 AM
Heather (San Diego)

Pamda
Thanks I learned from that.