CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Chit - Chat for Cruisers (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/)
-   -   Land cruise assistance: Cancun to Cozumel without flighting? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/chit-chat-cruisers/259550-land-cruise-assistance-cancun-cozumel-without-flighting.html)

diverkym March 31st, 2002 02:42 PM

Land cruise assistance: Cancun to Cozumel without flighting?

Okay... I need to get from Cancun to Cozumel and don't want to pay $400.00 to fly. (I'm using free vouchers to get to Cancun). I hear that there is a ferry. Any suggestions or does anyone have the skinny on how to accomplish this? I will NOT be traveling with kids as this is a second honeymoon!!!!!! SO EXCITED! Please help is you can.
P.S. The agent at the airlines suggested renting a car to go from Cancun to Cozumel--ha ha ha!

Divetex March 31st, 2002 03:25 PM

Re: Land cruise assistance: Cancun to Cozumel without flight

Kym,
The ferry is from Playa del Carmen. Pamda is the one to answer specific questions, as I've never done the ferry thing there. I have heard that there are not nearly as many life preservers as there should be. The ferry lets you off right downtown in San Miguel, Coz. You can probably find the ferry schedule online by doing a little searching.

pamda March 31st, 2002 03:49 PM

And here's pamda!

(Thanks for the vote of confidence, Divetex!)

I really want to see that car, Kym !!! The pontoon model?

We haven't flown from Cancun to Coz in a few years, but I remember the flight being something like $27. It has probably gone up. But NO WAY should it be $200/person for 15 minutes flying close to the water in a Fokker.

I believe that the "airline" is AeroCozumel, an affiliate of Mexicana.

$400 is almost beyond belief. Who gave you that information?

A taxi from the airport at The Cun to Playa del Carmen is about $60. The ferry is $8 per person and takes about 45 minutes from Playa to Coz. It drops you right off in front of Divetex's favorite restaurant and margarita stop, Las Palmeras. (I prefer the 'ritas at Plaza Leza.)

There are also busses that I assume are a lot cheaper than a taxi. It might be most cost-effective and pleasant to rent a car at the airport and return it in Playa if you can set that up.

But check around on those airfares. That number is insane. I can fly from here (Philadelphia) to Cancun for less than that if I want to use connecting flights.

Let me know if I can help more. I've been hanging around in those parts for 15 or so years now on a somewhat regular basis.

p.s. I'm originally from Iowa !!!

Divetex March 31st, 2002 05:58 PM

Maybe those flight costs were in pesos?

Mermaid March 31st, 2002 10:46 PM

I have flown from CAN to COZ, many years ago. Don't remember how much it was, but do remember thinking OMG, I think we should have taken the ferry! LOL Merman had to duck boarding the "plane" and stay that way. Bit of a choppy flight! Would I do it again? Why of course! Quickest way to get OUT of Cancun and TO Cozumel. Keep checking those flight prices....

And congrats to you on the Easter present. Where's the timeshare at? Need dive op reccomendations?

diverkym March 31st, 2002 11:38 PM

Its an RCI Gold Crown resort: Coral Princess Club. Thanks for all of the good advise. I thought it sounded a bit steep myself-- this was through American Airlines with connection via Mexicana. We did the ferry in Tahiti to Morrea. It was wonderful. Will definately check out DT's favorite resturant this time!

P.S. I finally get what LOL means... Duh!

Gloria April 1st, 2002 07:42 AM

Re: Re: Land cruise assistance: Cancun to Cozumel without fl

Diverkym,
Can't help with the land cruise assistance, jsut wanted to say have a wonderful 2nd honeymoon!!

And also that I am relieved that someone else needed assistance with the internet slang! SeaFan gave me a site called filetrading.com that is an internet dictionary, and pamda assisted with some background history. So, now I can read the messages a lot better!!

Again, have a great trip & honeymoon!!

Gloria