Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 14th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default I'm Home, AND Unpacked!!

Hello Everyone!

I'm back home, and the count is now on until I board the golden Princess in EXACTLY 5 months! I love having those short countdowns!

The NCL Sun is a beautiful ship, with loads of stuff to keep you busy. The itinerary it sails is mainly for the divers and snorklers, thus, loads of the sports enthusiests(?) of that sort onboard. They had their own dive desk set up just for this. Being a shopper myself, I didn't even get off the ship in Roatan, and only went as far as the pier shops in Belize. Cozumel, and Grand Caymen is where I do the most damage with a charge card!

The ship is only 8 months old, and is beautiful. It has the same type of balcony rooms you could find on the Princess or Celebrity ships. Lots of room and storage....for 4 people!

I didn't do a single specialty restaurant the whole week. We went with the traditional dining by making reservations. Each night as we left the restaurant, we would make reservations for the same table, and time, so we would keep the same servers all week. The group we were with didn't like the idea of trying different things each night, or paying for food that should have been included in the price of the cruise.

Now the part of the freestyle concept that is out of each persons hand is the dress code for the ship! It's casual all week, with the "OPTION" to dress formal on the second night. You can be sitting in the dining room in a suit, or tux, sitting next to a guy in a golf shirt and jeans. NCL states in their letter that one dining room is set aside for formal night, and since the Captain was eating in our dining room, I guess ours was supposed to be it....but there were definietly casual people along with the formal! Basically you can say that the Sun is dress as casual as you want, and go to dinner! I dressed "SEMI" formal for the formal night, by shortening a formal gown I had, and wearing some gold sandals, and dressed in capri outfits the rest of the week. I personally like NOT having to worry about how I'm gonna dress for dinner each night, and having to coordinate with a schedule! So the Freestyle dress concept is nice for that.

The weather was beautiful, and hot each day. We had a few sprinkles in Belize, but it just helped to keep the temps down, so no complaints here.

The food was really good all week....not the gourmet food you'd find on Celebrity, but hearty food, in large portions. I felt like I was eating constantly! There was no certain food that stood out that I can tell anyone about.....but overall, the food was good. No one would leave the Sun saying they starved!

If anyone has any questions, PLEASE feel free to e-mail me, and I'll help you in any way I can!

Oh yeah....LOVED the new pier NCL uses in Cozumel. It's right in town, and is connected to the new mall. We had people staggering back to the ship from Carlos and Charlies, right up to the time the gangway was lifted!! It was wonderful not having to find a cab.

Take Care!!
Jaime
Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Default Re: I'm Home, AND Unpacked!!

Welcome home, Jaimie !!!

Tell me more about the pier. Haven't been to Coz in a few months, so I'd love the update.
Old April 14th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Jaime,
So glad to hear you've enjoyed your cruise and have another one coming up in a few months, surely the best way to plan things!
BACK

Now its back to the "real" world, hope your PCD isn't too bad!

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 14th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Welcome home! BTW - how was the chocoholic buffet??

Old April 14th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

I know you're not going to believe it Lisa................but I din't go!!!

I are so much chocolate during the day at the Garden Cafe, that seeing a whole room of the stuff, would have made me sick. One of our tablemates went to the buffet, and said it was wonderful, but the place was super crowded! In a way....glad I missed it!!

Pamda............the new pier is right as you're coming into the town of San Miguel right before you get to the Mexicana Hotel. They've built a whole new mall there, with a pedestrian bridge to get over the street, and back to the pier. Carlos and Charlies is now at this new mall, connected to the pier! It's really beautiful, and all covered. It was wonderful watching the city light up before we left. I really liked the new pier better, and I bet NCL won't be getting to use it much longer, and the other cruiselines will take it over, and send NCL down the road!!! (Just my opinion!) It's big enough for 2 very large ships!

I have some really nice pictues of us with the ship i the background, taken from the top level of the mall.

Take Care!
Jaime
Old April 14th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Jamie,

Glad to hear you had such a GREAT time! I've never cruised on NCL, but now I'm really looking forward to the CruiseMates Thanksgiving Group Cruise on the Sun...
http://www.cruisemates.com/Articles/...urkey-2002.cfm

Sound like NCL has finally got their act together with a ship specifically built for FreeStyle, rather than adapted for it.

Old April 14th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Welcome Home neighbor!
Old April 14th, 2002, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Welcome back Jaime!

Was the Sun very rocky early in the week? We were told the whole Caribbean was having problems. I think you were a day ahead of us.