Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default POLL- CABINS.. high, low, bow, stern??

Do you have a preference for cabins locations.. mid ships low, higher on the ship, aft facing.... or are you willing to be anywhere, as long as it's on the ship?

I've fallen in love with these aft cabins overlooking the wake... and come to dislike cabins closer to the bow... but in a pinch... get me on the ship!

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Passenger

Default Re: POLL- CABINS.. high, low, bow, stern??

My choice is a cabin closest to the Lido deck.
Old March 4th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Admiral

I guess I'd prefer an aft cabin with a balcony but since I'd rather not spend the extra $$ for a balcony I'll take an outside near the elevator mid ship.

Regards,
Thomas
Old March 4th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

I would not refuse the Owners Suite, however, just get me onboard. Center ship is preferred. That way you don't have to walk as far to get to any part of the ship.

We have a very good location on the Crown Odyssey coming up very soon. Center ship near the Dining Room and around the corner from the Purser's Desk. The passage way is dead end therefore no foot traffic coming by.

Ray & Helen

Cruising on Ruby Princess: September 22, 2015. 10 Days, From New York to Quebec City. My 98th Cruise!
Old March 4th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Captain

Just get me on the ship. I will admit that the room we had on the Lido deck at the bow on the Victory had the most motion felt in it of any cruise we have been on. The room itself was nice but probably our least favorite even compared to the small rooms we have had on the Independence and the Norway.

As I said just get me on the ship I won't be in the room much anyway.
Old March 4th, 2003, 01:50 PM
PapBill

This is where Gram and I disagree. For me it would be any cabin, what the heck. For Gram it is midships, upper deck, outside , mostly with balconey. Anybody want to guess where we book? Oh yes, did I ever tell you the six words that are the key to success
in any marriage, " yes Dear, anything you say Dear". Now do you want to guess where we book?
Old March 4th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Admiral

Any will do, except one under the galley.
I usually get a balcony and if possible an aft. cabin 2nd deck from the top.

I read and hear so much about picking a cabin in a certain area to avoid feeling the ship movement.
I read once that "it isn't the size of the ship, it's the size of the waves"---how true.
Regardless where on the ship you are, if the water gets rough enough, you will feel it.
Old March 4th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

AFter just having a nice aft balcony cabin, I'd surely try for one of those any time, of course a nice suite would also work, but if not available, at least a balcony cabin anywhere is great!

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 4th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Judy M

My only stipulation is outside cabin on the starboard side, otherwise I get lost. (being blonde has nothing to do with it. )
Old March 4th, 2003, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Any cabin would do as long as it's on a cruise ship and not VIA Rail! (see my rant "Rail Travel versus Cruise Travel").

Donna

Old March 4th, 2003, 07:28 PM
Admiral

Balcony cabin, anywhere on the ship will work for me. But if it means going or staying home, give me anything on the ship.

Carnival Glory
Old March 4th, 2003, 07:35 PM
susancruzs

I've taken some pretty strange room locations just to get onboard, hazards of single travel you know! Strangest being the rooms that surround the upper deck pool on the Norway! I won't go into details about what I saw looking out my window into the window of the pool! Of course, I didn't have to look!!!!

I prefer to be way forward or aft, but have had to take my share of middle cabins. I like being on a higher deck, too! I've only had a balcony cabin once and nice, yes, but just get me onboard!

Susie
Old March 4th, 2003, 08:26 PM
Admiral

Well, there are cruises where we really don't care. Just get us on a ship! However, we are BEYOND EXCITED about our Panama Canal transit coming up in November, because we have an aft balcony for 14 days! We are convinced that we have chosen the best location possible for this odyssey. A full 180 degree plus view of the locks and the canal from our aft balcony. A short sprint up one flight of stairs to the nearest FOOD, BAR and POOL! We have 7 sea days plus the canal transit, and that balcony is going to be our home!

On the other hand, on the Let's Get Lei'd cruise, Honolulu to Vancouver, we didn't use the balcony nearly as much as we had planned. The Hawaii days, when it was warm enough to use the balcony, were so filled with activity that we hardly had time to just sit and use the balcony. The sea days between Hilo and Vancouver were too chilly and windy to sit out there for any length of time!

On the inaugural cruise of the Carnival Pride, we had an inside (large, I might add) and it was perfectly adequate. So I guess, to make a short answer long, we will choose our cabins according to the circumstances.

Old March 4th, 2003, 08:51 PM
Admiral

I love aft balconies, but have been happy in every location. I don't think I would take a lower lever inside on the Norway because I've read that some of those cabins are as small as 85 squ. feet. I am 6'4" and not small. that would drive me nuts to the tenth power. My favorite cabin so far was a suite on the Ocean Princess. My least favorite cabin was a "DELUXE" outside cabin on the Ocean Breeze. (But I did enjoy the ship itself.)
Old March 4th, 2003, 08:58 PM
Mark&Robin

I'll take standard balcony cabin on the top floor. We've been spoiled by having a balconies the last two cruises. Don;t think I could go back to a cabin with just a porthole. We also like being as high up as possible. We were on the Grand Princess in 2001, and the lower balconies extended out farther than the upper ones. I wouldn't have like to have someone looking down on my every move.
Old March 4th, 2003, 10:38 PM
First Mate

I've been spoiled and only want a balcony cabin. I've read how much people enjoy their aft cabins and on our upcoming cruise we were lucky enough to secure the last 3 mini-suite balcony cabins on the starboard side/aft. (was that redundancy? lol I'm not that good with ship terminology)

I will definately report back and tell you if the aft/balcony is my new favorite location.

I hope this mini-suite doesn't totally spoil me rotten.

I have to agree - if it's a choice of "cruise and stay in this broom closet" or "Stay Home"...
Please give me the broom closet! (lol!)

deja

booking soon - 10th anniversary cruise in August....
Old March 5th, 2003, 05:59 AM
Passenger

Luv the aft balcony---lv the door open on warm nights and hear the water from the wake --or to sit and watch the wake.
We have an aft balcony for our anxiously anticipated Panama Canal Cruise in November. Unlike desrtcruzer we are lower doen because we found the noise froom the Lido Deck all night and early am cleanup to be just a little distracting.
I haven't been thru the Canal since 1973. I was on a small vessel--120ft and it was a great transit. Thought my wife should see one of the Wonders of the Modern World, so I campaigned against her choice of Bermuda and was successful.

Celebrity Horizon Sept 04 Bermuda
Carnival Liberty Sept 05 Western Mediterranean

Old March 5th, 2003, 08:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Our last cruise was the first time we had a room with a balcony and that was because we were going to the Panama Canal. We were glad we had it for there but otherwise just didn't use it that much except it was nice to have a larger view instead of just a small window to look out.

We consider the room as just a place to sleep and don't spend much time in there so any room will do unless there is a small cost to upgrade to a balcony.
Old March 5th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Admiral

I found the lido deck almost midship to be very convenient to all aspects of the ship. Of course she would die without a balcony, so that is a must.

and laughing is contagious,
here’s hoping for an epidemic!
Old March 5th, 2003, 09:42 AM
susancruzs

Chuck, having sailed the Norway several times, I had one of those cabins! I definitely think it was where the servants slept, when it was the ssFrance! One good thing, it flooded and they moved me to an outside, bigger cabin!!!

Funny thing, I just accepted that they moved me to a new cabin and that was the end of it, no big deal! Nowadays, you'd be reading about that on the "net" for months!!! :-)

Susie
Old March 5th, 2003, 10:05 AM
Admiral

I tend to book midship outside... which level up or down doesn't really matter to me, so I book the cheapest, which is usually the lowest floor you can get without being crew.

Cheers,
Michelle B.

Land Cruise, Britain and Belgium

Old March 15th, 2003, 10:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: POLL- CABINS.. high, low, bow, stern??

I like High and aft but some ships dictate where. The size of Suite that I wont is forward on my next cruise. On the Sun Princes it was aft. You would need all ships built alike to answer this Question