Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Dale

Default A question for smokers

I took my first cruise a couple of months ago, Legend of the Seas Sydney to Auckland (fantastic!!). Originally booked an inside cabin but upgraded to a balcony at the pier (thanks to cruisemates tips).

I asked my cabin steward for an ashtray and he politely told me the policy about smoking was clear. He would supply an ashtray but requested I confine my smoking to the balcony. This was not a problem, but I wondered what would have happened if I had stayed with an inside or even outside cabin.

Before the onslaught from anti-smokers please let me say I consider myself a considerate smoker. I became very friendly with my tablemates (all non-smokers) and didn't smoke at all inside the ship (my choice) but the thought of running up to an open deck (especially in bad weather) for my occasional puff has really put me off booking an inside or outside cabin. As I am likely to have to pay single supplement this has become a major consideration to me.

Whenever staying at a hotel I book a smoking room, make sure a don't smoke for an hour before leaving the room and turn the air conditioning up to high to clear the smoke.
I also seal the butts in plastic bags and clean my own ashtray. I am happy to do this but would it work given the size of cabins? How do you smokers handle smoking in cabins?
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2002, 06:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: A question for smokers

Dale.. Your cabin steward was quite wrong!! Smoking is allowed inside your cabin no matter what category you have. On RCI you do have to ask for an ashtray, but you can smoke IN the cabin, if you choose.
Just don't book the Carnival Paradise <G>

Old April 24th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Dale

Dear Kuki, thanks for the fast reply. I did realise that smoking was allowed in cabins however the cabin steward was referring to a note inside the cabin. I read it a couple of times and although there was no mention of cabins being designated smoke free his indication was that it was "discouraged". I suppose my real question is whether the air-conditioning in cabins would clear small amounts of smoke effectively?
I have had visions in my head of some poor non smoking room steward gasping for breath as he tidied my room and this would make me feel uncomfortable. Many thanks, Dale.
Old April 24th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Passenger

I'm not a smoker, but I have never heard that policy. You can smoke in your room. Thank you for not because it does leave a smoke odor that they can't totally hide.

Glad you had a great time. Wish I could have been there!

Old April 25th, 2002, 12:42 AM
Randee

You can smoke in your room, the only exception I have ever heard was one ship that Carnival has. If you are really worried about bothering non-smokers, you can put a towel under your door. My mother who can't stand smoke does this to keep smoke out of her room when traveling and this works for her. I think non-americans are a bit puzzled about how zealous Americans can be re: smoking. Its your vacation, as long as you're considerate in non-smoking public areas, you can do what you want. Its your vacation, Enjoy. And don' t let this issue keep you from further travel.