Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 26th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Admiral

Default Be Careful With The Doc Dance ...

Other than the fact that you might dance all over your docs, rendering them illegible ... plus spilling mai tais on them ...

It's a funny thing, but often the most experienced travellers are the most trusting ... in themselves, in the airlines, and in the cruise lines.

I didn't think twice when our docs came in. Just threw 'em into the Giant Tote Bag. Queeg decided he would like to take a look.

Ginny had already faxed me (twice, because I lost the first fax) our air arrangements. Hmmm. The tickets did not match. Queeg made a good catch and it was fixed almost immediately. I would not have looked.

Of course, it is possible that Celebrity did NOT want me, as a co-conspirator with Kuki, on the cruise ??? Or maybe CruiseAholic had a hand in it?

Here are the essentials:

Make sure that the names on your air tickets match EXACTLY the names on your passports or other ID. If you are newly-weds and the tickets are issued in the new married name, take along a copy of your wedding certificate/license.

We once saw a couple denied boarding for their honeymoon because the names did not match.

Because Queeg and I have different surnames (except on my passport) we once got a set of tickets issued to me as "Kane". I would have been denied boarding for an international flight if it hadn't been caught ahead of time.

If your tickets do not have seat assignments, get on the Alex G. Bell with the AIRLINE to get it clear and ask for seat assignments.

If your tickets have you and your travel partner almost on different airplanes, same thing applies.

If all else fails, put on a happy face and get to the check-in desk or departure podium as soon as possible and ask if your seats can't be changed so you will sit together.

SERIOUS all else fails, BIGGER happy face and explain to the flight attendant what's going on. USUALLY someone will offer to swap seats. But, even if you don't sit together, it's not the end of the world. You're off on a great vacation.

And, as a dear friend says, who WANTS to sit next to someone you've just spent two weeks with in a room smaller than your closet ???

Old April 26th, 2002, 01:06 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Be Careful With The Doc Dance ...

Dear Pamda;

If I have a problem with my doc's you will save me huh? Ill just say I'm an Merican Mr. INS You have a problem Im getting Pamda on you! Do these look like the right Docs?
Old April 26th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Admiral

It helps if you open them up, Rix
Old April 26th, 2002, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Well I dont have any docs---But as I have said in my lost hate mail-- I have been to Hawaii many times before--- and one of the things that stand out in my mind-- Standing in line for check in at the airport in SFO-- was the couple in front of my girlfriend and I-- only to hear that the people were at the airport on the wrong day--- at least it was two days early---- This was a Wednesday and their tickets were for Friday----
whats the old saying --- never assume anything
Cheers all
April
Old April 27th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Pamda:
I have doc's from Celebrity with air tickets enclosed. Reservations were made by Celebrity. Airline tickets do not have seating assignments listed anywhere I can see, however my TA enclosed a little note showing what seats we have. Is this normal?

Harry

Millie, May 10, 2002
Granduer of the Seas, Aug 2000
Old April 27th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Beats me ... I am not a travel agent.

I almost always book my own air and, depending upon where I book it (like Orbitz or with the airline) we have seat assignments. Other times, not. Doesn't seem to be any hard-and-fast rule.

The best thing to do is to call the airline directly to confirm.

Sometimes, and this has happened to a lot of seasoned travellers, the seat assignments get bollixed. Both Kuki and I have been assigned seats NOT with our spouses in the past. Of course, the way Kuki talks about Mrs. Kuki she is probably just as happy NOT to sit with him.

As April said, NEVER assume anything. READ those tickets.

Harry, I was very disappointed with you. I was expecting a wonderful, raging hate mail to add to the website. Now that I see you're going on Millie BEFORE we are on the Summit, I understand. I shall now send YOU hate mail.