Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2002, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Default Possible Helpful Information About Hawaii

For those of you going to Hawaii, I have some information about tours and shopping which might be helpful.

On Kauai, we visited Waimea Canyon, which is like a smaller Grand Canyon but with beautiful greenery. It was spectacular! The tour also included a visit to a blowhole along the coast. The ship docked there.

On Maui, where we stayed overnight, we visited Iao Valley and the Maui Tropical Plantation. Iao Valley State park has fantastic scenery , and the Tropical Plantation ahs a little tram ride through fields where all types of flowers and plants are grown. There are dozens of shops where you can book your own tours or Luau's there for a lot less than the ship's tours. You do have to tender into this port. This also may be the best place for shopping with hundreds of shops and Whaler's Village.

At Kona, on the big island, we took a simple hour long glass bottom boat ride which was very relaxing. You also have to tender into this port. There is one of the world's biggest Banyon trees near the dock covering a whole city block.

At Hilo, where the Iron Man Triathalon is staged, we took a tour to Volcanoes where you can walk around steam vents where lava flowed just a few years ago. This tour also took in the Mauna Loa Macadamia Nut factory. The ship also docked there.

There is a free shuttle ride to Hilo Hattie's at every port and they give you a free shell Lei each time you visit. Hattie's has the largest collection of Hawaii clothes, but you can get better prices at the ABC shops at most the ports and also at Walmart. You can also get free shuttle rides to Walmart at Kauai and Kona. Kona coffee is not cheap, but Walmart does have
the best prices. That is where the residents buy their coffee. The best prices for macadamia
nuts, particularly in large quantities, is at the factory near Hilo. Walmart and the ABC stores are also well stocked.

The helicopter tours from Hilo were already fully booked before we got on the ship. On the side of the island, the lava is presently glowing hot but is not flowing into the ocean. We saw no whales or dolphin, although a few people on the ship managed to see a couple.

ALOHA!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2002, 07:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Re: Possible Helpful Information About Hawaii

Paul,
Thanks for the tips! Glad you enjoyed your cruise! Perhaps next time you'll have the good sense to go with us for an even better time <G>

Old May 2nd, 2002, 09:47 PM
Admiral

Kuki, I would have definitely gone with you guys, but we had the cruise booked and planned a long rime before we heard about your cruise. I did forget to mention Lepperet's (spelling?)
ice cream in the islands. They have great mango ice cream.
Old May 3rd, 2002, 08:22 AM
Yeoman

PaulB,

Thanks for the tips! I am going to book the Lahania Luau on Maui, where can I get a good price for this Luau? What ship did you sail on to Hawaii?

Thanks,
Cheryl

Old May 3rd, 2002, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Cheryl,

We cruised on Radiance and got back home three days ago. When you get to shore on Lahania, you will find many brockers at the dock area and along the street selling tours of all kinds, some of them for Luaus as cheap as $19. I really don't have any information on the one you are interested in, but I am sure you can find what you want.
Old May 3rd, 2002, 02:47 PM
Yeoman

PaulB,

You sailed on the Radiance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are in a category E3 on deck 7 midship 7600. Do you have any information on this cabin? Did you leave from Vancouver?
We have a precruise stay in Vancouver. Also, did you book your air through the cruiseline. OK, I will take a breath and let you answer.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Old May 3rd, 2002, 10:01 PM
Admiral

Cheryl, your room is in a great location, right on the rounded part of the ship and right next to the elevators and stairs. I think your stateroom is the same size as ours with a full sofa ond drapes which can be slid across to separate the bed and balcony from the TV sofa area. We used cruise air and left from Ensenada. You will love this ship!!!!!
Old May 4th, 2002, 10:36 PM
Yeoman

YEAAAAAAAAAH!