Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 26th, 2002, 10:49 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default Getting Home

I may as well put in my 2 Cents on getting home. Helen and I finally got home about 10:30 Last night. After our disembarking from the ship, the fast taxi ride to the Airport in Vancouver, fast check in, paying our departure fee, rambling tow of our big bags thru stores, arriving at another check point, paying another Fee, (cost us $29) to get to the gate, waiting for our names to be called to board the aircraft, We being the last ones to board to completely fill the plane, Helen being in row 23 and me on the last row 34, speinding about 4 hours to DFW, getting in late, trying to catch the last plane out to MCO, it was full, so we look for a Hotel, found one waiting for shuttle for 20 minutes, ordering a Pizza to the room, getting to bed by 12, up at 4, taking the shuttle to DFW airport, 1st plane out at 6 50AM, Missed it, Full, waiting all day, missing 5 planes, Full, finally got one, 1st Class, arriving after 9PM, getting our rental car, getting home about 10:30PM hitting the sack and up by 8:30 this morning. We were pooped to say the least but we are here, safe and well but tired.

CRUISE: one of the best. What made is so good. Cruisemate Cruisers. People. Without the good friends we met, new and old, we had a wonderful cruise. Helen and I wish to thanks all of you with your kindness to make this cruise a success.

Better hush now. Gotta get ready for our June 3, departure to South America.

Ray
Sponsored Links
Old May 26th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Getting Home

Hi Ray and Helen,
Welcome home, sorry to hear about your long/delayed flights home, what was that about? No wonder you are tired and going again so soon, catch up on some rest :-)
Wondering how fast you are able to board in Vancouver, have kind of an early flight out in Sept., hoping to make it OK?? Any help there and where and when do you pay those taxes?? I know I've heard of it before, its not already added on to my air tickets?

Thanks Ray and hope to catch you in chat soon :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 26th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Monsieur Boudreaux ...

Glad you finally made it home. We were praying to get bumped in Vancouver (we volunteered) so we could spend the weekend there, but no dice.

I'm still smiling about seeing you and Helen when we boarded the plane in MSP. You got the cruise off to a running (flying?) start !!!

And I am SOOOO glad that I didn't insist on our traditional table for two. The nights with the deux of you, Chuck & Kay, and Jose & Jennifer are in the top echelon of my favorites list.

Have much fun in South America. That is an order. And post a review when you get home so I can feed my dreams !!!

Now, can I get ready for a last-minute trip to Spain and Portugal in a week? Probably not.

Love,

pamda
Old May 26th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Admiral

Tell me about the fees at the Vancouver airport.

How much and how often? What are they for?

Glad you are home safely and glad you had a great trip!
Old May 26th, 2002, 11:40 AM
Admiral

They are called something like "airport enhancement fees" and are $10 Canadian per person or $7 per person US dollars.

Unlike Mexico's "departure fees" which must be paid in cash, Vancouver accepts credit cards.
Old May 26th, 2002, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Not sure how Ray ended up paying twice. They must have gone in, turned the wrong way and gone out of the area again. The figures Pam gave are correct.

However if you're not paying in Canadian dollars, you're loosing a bit more on the exchange than you should. Better to use a credit card than pay American dollars.

When we went through payed the fee, and went through security in a very short time. The entire process took maybe 3 minutes

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 26th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Admiral

Donna,

Debarkation was so easy it was painless. Took us less that 15 minutes from the time we walked off the ship till we were in a taxi. It took us about 20 minutes from hotel to airport but of course that was at 5AM, so figure about half hour from ship. Don't know what airline you're flying but check in for NW was a breeze, 10 minutes. Didn't take long to get thru customs and pay the fee either. In all from hotel to gate was about 35 minutes. Hope this helps. You shouldn't have a problem.

Sad to be home
Gaile
CM Host Tweety
Old May 26th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb

About the Fees. $7.50 at the ticket counter for departure fees. $7 for Airport improvement fees. Per person. $29 for both of us. 14 & 15. It did not take long to process. Next in line then we have to lug our baggage thru the Duty Fee store to the Improvement counter That is the process. Kuki we did not get lost. That is the way it is. First time I have every had to take my luggage after checking in at the ticket counter. But did not take long. The long wait was at the gate waiting to be called for seats for Space Available travelers like us. No Problem mon. We made it.

Helen is 1/2 thru washing. I HELPED some. Got to move along. June 3 is coming up fast.

Ray
Old May 26th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Ray... sorry, I get it now. I'd guess the departure fee at the counter was because of your "space available" status.

I imagine the rest of the trek was because you had to clear US customs in Vancouver before boarding. Something I'm used to when I fly south, but avoided landing "at home" this time.

At any rate.. glad you made it home safe, and wish were sailing along to the Galapagos with you and Helen next month. Didn't get to see near enough of you and Helen, with you guys having late seating and us early.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 26th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Getting Home

Hi Tweety,
Wow, you made excellent time, hope we do the same, but at 8:00 or 9:00, have an 11:10 flight home with Air Canada.

BTW, what was the charge for the taxi to the airport and did you use US dollars?

Thanks again Tweets, glad to see you made it home safely, say "hi" to Harry!

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 26th, 2002, 07:12 PM
susancruzs

Glad you are home safe and sound and how wonderful that you are planning for the next cruise so soon! My dream trip, South America, but then I have alot of dream trips that I need to do!

My flight to MSP from Chgo was cancelled or I would have been on that plane, as it was I was on the plane with Tweety from Seattle but didn't realize that until Sunday night.

All in all, it sure was a wonderful trip and I think I'll try to join CruiseMates cruises, on a regular basis, if at all possible!

Susie
Old May 26th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Admiral

Susan,

That would be great. For a loner you sure did join in. Won't convince me the next time that you like to be alone however. Good to have met you. Don't be a stranger, stop in to chat.

Gaile
CM Host Tweety
Old May 26th, 2002, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Geez Ray, if I had known that would happen, you could have hopped to Washington, DC with me!

Enjoyed meeting you and our chat at the airport!

Enjoy South America
Old May 26th, 2002, 09:50 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Ray - I must say it was truly an honor to meet both you and Helen on the Summit - I hope to be able to meet up with you again on another cruise someday....and I really loved your part on the Newlywed?Not-so-Newlywed game!

Old May 26th, 2002, 09:51 PM
Admiral

Ray and Helen: Anyone lucky enough to cruise with you two is in for a real treat. Anyone needing a fire put out would be lucky to have you around as well.
Old May 26th, 2002, 10:43 PM
Yeoman

Send a message via AIM to SeaFan Send a message via Yahoo to SeaFan

Ray and Helen so glad you finally made it back home without to much wear and tear. It was a pleasure meeting you and we hope to be able to cruise with you again someday. Glad we now have a fire expert on board.
Old May 27th, 2002, 06:57 AM
Admiral

Glad Mr. and Mrs. Fireman made it home...finally. Ray, CruiseCam and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting and getting to know you and Helen. You're our kind of folks, and now we have a new kind of CA in the group!