Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 28th, 2002, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Default Bum Rap ????

I think so. This from a review of the last Summit cruise which was also the Let's Get Lei'd Cruise.

While I am not sure this will ever get published, our disappointments include being treated as "second-class" guests, as it was obvious that much of the cruise activity staff favored the groups on board (most notably Cruisemates) during ship activities.

The CruiseMates cruise was highly publicized on the boards for at least six months prior to sailing and those who had not booked through the group agent were invited, over and over again, to join in with the group. Many did, and had a great time.

No sympathy here for the complaint. All the writer had to do was walk up and make an introduction and would have been immediately included. For sure.

Old May 28th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa
Default Re: Bum Rap ????

Pam - I respect her opinion, but don't agree with it in total. I think that what the CruiseMates group did was establish relations with the on-board staff and set up our own activities (ie: the mini golf and the kite flying) - all of which were dependent on approval and cooperation of the staff on board the ship. I thought there were times we were looked "down" upon by others, but so what? We made our own good time. In one way I do agree with her, there did seem to be a lack of activities that were participatory on the sea days - besides Bingo, trivia (which I love) and other semi non-participatory events, there was not a lot offered for those who really wanted to be active, but I think this is a fault of Celebrity as a whole and not this particular cruise, as I did notice this on the Millennium in Feb 2001.

AS Kuki said earlier, it will be interesting to see what others on the same sailing thought of this cruise.

Old May 28th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Admiral

Interesting reading, was she on the same ship?

I know I have said that many things about cruises are subjective, but.....

To my knowledge, the ship itself DID NOT sanction any of our activities, so why would this person avoid ships activities. I went to trivia, pool side activities, shows and did not see any CruiseMates preferencial treatment or for that matter, mention.
Old May 28th, 2002, 09:12 PM
susancruzs

Interesting, but confusing. I think Lisa is right in the fact that they did not have enough scheduled for the sea days and I was surprised at the rather light activity list.

I don't think CruiseMates monopolized any area at a given time and we did create our own fun. Other passengers seemed to enjoy watching, taking pictures, and some times some of the crew just happened to be in the area.

As we've said, put a bunch of people on the same ship and you will get 20 different opinions of what it was like that week!
Old May 28th, 2002, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I can somewhat understand the point of being on a ship with a group, when you're not in it. We have sailed with affinity groups onboard before.

In our case most of the large group ODDvents, where all of us congragated were fairly short in terms of time frames, because of diners at both seatings.
And as Pam said, anyone could have joined in the group fun.... and some did. Like the ladies who wanted to buy Doug's ship.

As Lisa said, I think the writer may be have thought our "ODDvents" were part of the cruise staff scheduled activities. NOT the case.. as I said in my review, I only ever met one member of the cruise directors staff, and that was on the last night, so there was definately no special treatment there<G>

Some other comments surprised me.. but I think a part of it may have also been the so so weather, where people were forced indoors more than they would care to be.

There's a post on the Celebrity message board from someone who was not with our group who said the cruise was close to perfection.

It does show, everyone looks at the world through their own eyes and experiences, and none of us experience it exactly the same way.

Old May 28th, 2002, 10:37 PM
Admiral

Kuki, I think you might be right about the weather. It certainly did cause some disgruntled passengers. I heard one couple on an elevator telling someone else that they'd never cruise on Celebrity again because Celebrity had scheduled this cruise during rainy weather. I couldn't help myself, and laughed out loud. I thought they were joking. They weren't. Go figure. Perchance the lady might simply have been jealous because we WERE having a good time or two....or ninety.
Old May 29th, 2002, 12:47 AM
Admiral

I LOVED the ladies who wanted Doug's ship. Did anyone notice that they were identical twins? What fabulous blue eyes those ladies had !!!

Anyone who wanted to join in at any point would have been more than welcome.

It makes me sad that someone who obviously knew that there was a CM group on board chose to complain afterward rather than just jumping in and joining in the fun. We could always have scrounged up an extra set of antlers.

Not like we kept it a secret.

Old May 29th, 2002, 09:23 AM
Admiral

I had several NON-Cruisemates passengers ask me what the fun was all about.....both during and after some of the activities.....and just out of the blue in the elevator........all with positive comments. I only heard one negative comment from someone that I ran into after leaving the ship.....a Cruisemate poster who felt the fun was a little too wild for their tastes.......which is, of course, their honest and entitled opinion......hey, it's not for everyone. When the Mystery Guests were amassed in large numbers (which was A LOT) we raised some eyebrows, too........and a lot of positive comments/questions.

Old May 29th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Admiral

I too can attest to the fact that the cruise staff was not involved in any of the Oddvents that Kuki had scheduled and they did not participate either although they would have been welcome. Others that were not part of our group DID sometimes join in the fun as they wanted to and they were welcomed. We even 'recruited' a couple of large individuals for the tug o war and they had a great time. Everyone is entitled to thier opinions and I welcome all of them, just wanted to make sure it was well-known that we did not recieve any special treatment from the staff, we created our own.
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old May 29th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Jim,
I wouldn't say we didn't receive any special treatement from the staff. Seemed to me they treated everyone as though they were special.

However, we did receive some "special" dispensations from the staff (not the cruise staff), in that the Captain gave us "special" permission to fly our kites off the stern of his ship. And I nearly fell out of my chair laughing when one of the Ass't Maitre d's came over to tell me it was OK if we wore our pajamas to the dining room.
Can't imagine the uproar that would have caused, but I did explain that we had just done that for the sail-a-way party, and wouldn't be repeating it in the dining room.

Old May 29th, 2002, 01:40 PM
First Mate

OK OK maybe the Kite flying was to adventerious for some. NOT!!!! We invited our neighbors to join in and they all had a blast were 1 of the 15 kites launched!! Said it was a hi lite of the cruise. I dont know about that but it was sure fun. Im watching the video of Jim Silvia and us flying the choper over Hilo right now so that review cant bum me out hehe. Rix

Old May 30th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Passenger

I do have to just say I heard several people comment on the kite flying escapde. It seems a tablemate of ours was nearly strangled by someone's kite string and wasn't too happy about that. Also, the putting of golf balls thru the ship did hit several passangers.