Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers
Register Forgot Password?

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Default What's with Princess charging double port charges to single

Does anyone know how Princess is getting away with charging double port charges to single travelers? After all, they only pay this for each individual passenger - not for some phantom traveler. As far as I know they just instigated this charge (I didn't pay it on my April cruise), but am being charged on my December cruise.

Another travel agent just emailed me saying that she thought it was illegal - as do I.

This affects any single traveler on the Thanksgiving cruise!

Is there anything that can be done about this? Thanks.

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012
Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: What's with Princess charging double port charges to sin

I've never heard this being done on any cruiseline. Very interesting! I'll be curious what others say. I hope this isn't a trend that is just starting! Paying double the cruise rate is difficult enough when you're traveling solo. If Princess gets away with it, then other cruiselines will follow I'm sure.
Old May 30th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I honestly don't see how they can get away it... nor should they. We'll have to make some inquiries to see what we can find out.
Old May 30th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Admiral

Well, Kuki... perhaps you should start with how "Port Charges" are assessed and how they are apportioned to each passenger. As an example, ships with higher space ratio's tend to have higher "Port Charges"... the tonnage is the same, hence the charges, but fewer folks to divide it up amongst. Ever wonder why many ships sailing on the same itineraries, to and from the same ports on the same day have different "Port Charges"? It is not some arbitrary assessment. Single cabin occupancy then comes to bear in the calculation. It is a very complicated area... and the oversimplifications we see on the board (Princess is doubling the Port Charges for singles) simply don't hold water. In Princess' behalf, they are one of the few lines that try to adjust the basic single rate paid by the Category in which the guest is traveling. There is no "flat" upcharge, ie 150 or 175 or 200% which we see on many lines. I think Princess is a leader, actually, in trying to apportion costs fairly to the single traveler.
Old May 30th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Ernie.. your explanation is all well and good, but does the single traveler on Princess pay the same portion of these port charges as two people in a cabin? Think thats the question here. Not the make up of the charges.

We know the cruise lines will try and include everything they can in their port charges, and its not simplay a cost to dock (as some people might think).

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 31st, 2002, 07:47 AM
Admiral

I think my last couple of lines address your comment, Kuki. Actually, when you consider the NET amount of money a Single Passenger has to pay to embark on a Princess ship, vs the NET amout of money a passenger traveling as a Double has to pay, Princess is among the fairer to the single passenger when compared to many other lines. It is a blurry situation, I agree. I just take exception to the absolute statement that Princess has doubled Port Charges for single passengers which is not true.
Old May 31st, 2002, 10:47 PM
Admiral

I definitely do NOT agree with you Ernie. I'm paying anywhere from 150 to 200% of the fare (depending on the cabin I book). That is definitely an "upcharge". Princess charges me 1/2 the government fees - which is just for one person - and that's fair.

Why should I pay almost $200 more in port charges? Why should I be penalized - over what I'm already paying - so that Princess can balance out their costs?

I just signed off of the chat board where a guy said the port charges are really only $5 to $20 ... don't know how right he is.

I don't particularly give a darn about their tonnage, etc. I do care that in my past travels with Princess I've only paid one port charge AND now all of a sudden they want to double that.

And , I've never paid double port charges on any other line ... and I've travelled on many.

You keep defending Princess's rates ... do you work for them? Or, are you a stockholder?

I doubt very much that you have ever travelled as a single!

I cruise the Emerald Princess, Eastern Caribbean on April 16, 2012